Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 06:20 PM

5 posts, read 8,688 times

Advertisements

Greetings, everyone! I'm relocating to the Dallas area and desperately need help narrowing down the information I've received - Carroll, Grapevine, Keller, Flower Mound...it's all running together!!!! I want to stay north of Dallas, but that can include NW to NE and everywhere in-between (hence my "too many choices" dilemma). I have a 13 y/o and a 10 y/o, so school system is my primary concern. I don't know where I'll be working, and I'm accustomed to driving 30-60 minutes one-way to work anyway, so commute is not an issue. Ideally, I would love to find a close-knit, family-oriented community that is welcoming to newcomers and has as little "keeping up with the Joneses" mentality as possible...preferably a smaller community...I know Plano has a wonderful school system but I'm moving AWAY from a place that size...As far as school systems go, I'm more concerned with things like Pre-AP/AP offerings, % college-bound graduates, National Merit recognition, parental involvement, etc, than I am with the state ratings of "exemplary" or "recognized" or whatever. I want a lot, don't I?

I really appreciate any information! Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 06:23 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
Sounds like you'd fit right in here in Grapevine. :-)

Honestly, though, find out where you'll be working before you make a decision. There is no reason to commute an hour in DFW area. There are plenty of good suburbs in every direction.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:42 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,593,594 times
"As little a keeping up with the Joneses mentality as possible" is going to eliminate a lot of suburbs.

Keller is a pretty good choice, but is OUT there from downtown Dallas. Southlake (where Carroll Hih School is) definitely wouldn't be a good fit. Grapevine would probably be a happy medium.

Richardson is an older suburb but definitely has a lot of nice areas and some good homes, and is a very family friendly area. I'd look at the area around Pearce HS--it's a top school, only about 2000 students, and is a great environment.

The older suburbs are going to have less of a "Joneses" mentality, but the school systems generally aren't as good on the whole. There are some outstanding schools, but if you're picking based on the district as a whole you'll be hard-pressed not to find a very-new money "keeping up with the Joneses" mentality or else be in Highland Park, where they ARE the Joneses.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:42 PM

Oh, don't get me wrong, I would prefer NOT to have to drive for an hour, it's just that in my profession I can work in a variety of locations, so if I can find the perfect (for us) combination of school district and community, I should be able to find a job within a reasonable distance....

I say north Dallas because the friends I have in the area are scattered throughout the various northern suburbs, but they're either in Plano or their children are all older, so they're limited in the information they can give me. Plus, I like the access to DFW, and I have relatives in Oklahoma who I will see on a regular basis, so it just seems like the northern area would be a better fit for me.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:45 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,593,594 times
Plano is not "North Dallas." It is north of Dallas.

North Dallas, the area roughly between I-635 and Northwest Highway/Loop 12, would be a good fit. There is housing from the standard middle-class mid-century ranch onto giant McManses which take up two or three lots. The public schools aren't great, but there are lots of private schools to pick from.

If you're going to work downtown, I wouldn't recommend anything in Collin County. It's going to be hard to meet all your criteria up there, though some areas like Frisco or McKinney might. Plano is a nice place to live and has great schools, but, especially in the western part, it's very, very pretentious.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:59 PM

OK, that was a mis-type on my part...a separate, distinct community north OF Dallas is my intention, and good public schools are a must, I have one child in private school now and am trying to get away from that...

Old 07-12-2009, 07:22 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
speculation is pretty meaningless when you don't know where you are going to be working

does that mean you don't have a job--you are moving here and hoping to find one???

Old 07-12-2009, 07:42 PM

Weighing offers but no decision yet. Finding the community that best serves my family's needs is my first consideration, the location of my job is secondary.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:14 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,462,012 times
For "close-knit" you might consider a one high school/smaller town type place like Prosper ISD. Otherwise, I don't know if close-knit and big suburban high school go together very well.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:21 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,834,979 times
Take a look at the SW parts of Allen that are still in the Plano ISD territory - Suncreek subdivision specifically has a smaller, close-knit community feel but retains proximity to some of the good aspects of Plano.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas