Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2011, 02:52 PM

1,780 posts, read 4,007,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
I don't have a problem admitting that the Texas climate isn't one I like and I have dreamed of moving to where the summers are milder and the winters involve more snow, but don't act like you belong here any more with your desire for 90s and 100s all year.
I would definitely like a climate that has more "milder days" than in Dallas. There are just too many >95 and <60 days here. An equatorial climate suits me best. Did I say I love rain? Unfortunately I am stuck here due to college.

I like Dallas in other ways though, it's just that the climate sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 03:11 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,235,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
I like it here just fine as long as it's a 'typical' weather year with highs in the 90s and 100s and a typical [warm] winter. You two (kenshi & Canine*Castle) are the ones that want non-typical weather. Therefore, you two need to start looking elsewhere for a place that suits you better weather-wise!
I've lived here a long time and a typical winter in Texas has many cold days. The cold-streak just doesn't last long. I'm from southern California and I love Texas weather from part of October to part of April much better than California. You would love winter there. You're right, though. I need to escape Texas (if not permanently) at least from May through September (or perhaps part of April and October too). I'm working on it.

Old 09-10-2011, 03:21 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,451,297 times
Quote:
The average high today is 86 which is more than a few degrees cooler than 100. You seem to love this unusual heat. I recall you hating it last winter which wasn't as unusual as this summer. Why should those of us who enjoyed last winter move but you not?

February 2011 will be remembered for the extraordinarily cold weather that began the month. For Dallas/Fort Worth, there were several events that had not occurred in many years:
  • Record low temperature of 15°F on February 10 - first record low temperature since December 4, 2006
  • 100 hours below freezing - longest streak since January 1997 (107 hours)
  • High temperature of 20°F on February 2 - lowest high temperature since December 22, 1990 (16°F)
  • 5 consecutive mornings in the teens - first time since December 1989
At DFW Airport, there were four calendar days with measurable snowfall during the first 9 days of the month. February 1978 was the last time there were 4 days with measurable snowfall in a 9-day period. Record setting 2011 ranked 5th in snowfall for DFW behind 1978, 2010, 1924 and 1951.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/fwd/?n=feb2011

Old 09-10-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asubram3 View Post
I would definitely like a climate that has more "milder days" than in Dallas. There are just too many >95 and <60 days here. An equatorial climate suits me best. Did I say I love rain? Unfortunately I am stuck here due to college.

I like Dallas in other ways though, it's just that the climate sucks.
I love rain too and believe me, this is an unusual year for it or I should say, "The lack of it." At least it often rains in the summer and many summers, things stay green. On average, Dallas gets a pretty good rainfall amount ... normally. Right off the bat, I can only think of San Diego that would be your kind of weather. It's perfect EXCEPT it only gets about 10 inches of rain a year whereas Dallas' average is 35. Unfortunately though, it can often all come at once, so to speak.

Old 09-10-2011, 03:54 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,044,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post

February 2011 will be remembered for the extraordinarily cold weather that began the month. For Dallas/Fort Worth, there were several events that had not occurred in many years:
  • Record low temperature of 15°F on February 10 - first record low temperature since December 4, 2006
  • 100 hours below freezing - longest streak since January 1997 (107 hours)
  • High temperature of 20°F on February 2 - lowest high temperature since December 22, 1990 (16°F)
  • 5 consecutive mornings in the teens - first time since December 1989
At DFW Airport, there were four calendar days with measurable snowfall during the first 9 days of the month. February 1978 was the last time there were 4 days with measurable snowfall in a 9-day period. Record setting 2011 ranked 5th in snowfall for DFW behind 1978, 2010, 1924 and 1951.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/fwd/?n=feb2011
All of those records are very specific or don't go back very far. This summer had the second highest average high in recorded history and the highest average low. Your facts about last winter having a single day that was the coldest since 1990 and so on don't compare. A few days of exceptional cold just don't compare to an entire summer of misery.

Old 09-10-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
All of those records are very specific or don't go back very far. This summer had the second highest average high in recorded history and the highest average low. Your facts about last winter having a single day that was the coldest since 1990 and so on don't compare. A few days of exceptional cold just don't compare to an entire summer of misery.
Haha! I believe the winter records I linked go way back to the very early 1900s. Nevertheless, I was talking about last winter being unusually cold, not this summer being unusually hot. So, let's not compare winter with summer. Cold winters, as I've said numerous times, is what I do not like. I don't mind hot summers. Last winter was definitely unusual as the linked information I provided details regardless of what you might say.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:59 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,044,208 times
I hate to keep dragging this out, but here you go. You can see that for a few days in early February, the temperatures dropped well below the average, but other than that, they pretty much danced around the average lines. In fact, I'd say they were above average more than below average. There are even a couple of spikes in December and February that look like they may have set record highs.

I was thinking before that the winter as a whole was below average, just not by an extraordinary amount. Now that I've had to drag that up, it looks very close to average. On the other hand, you look at the summer and it's well above average all but a few days. Now that's unusual. The winter? Far from unusual, at least the temperatures.

Old 09-10-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
I hate to keep dragging this out, but here you go. You can see that for a few days in early February, the temperatures dropped well below the average, but other than that, they pretty much danced around the average lines. In fact, I'd say they were above average more than below average. There are even a couple of spikes in December and February that look like they may have set record highs.

I was thinking before that the winter as a whole was below average, just not by an extraordinary amount. Now that I've had to drag that up, it looks very close to average. On the other hand, you look at the summer and it's well above average all but a few days. Now that's unusual. The winter? Far from unusual, at least the temperatures.
Record cold temperatures are in the overnight forecast, and there's more snow in store for North Texas on Friday morning. My forecast calls for the low early Thursday to dip to 12 degrees at Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport, eclipsing the record of 14. We may finally get somewhere close to the freezing mark on Friday, but not before light snow showers and flurries move into North Texas from the south during the morning rush hour. Accumulations should be one inch or less in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. - Chief Meteorologist Pete Delkus reporting from Fort Worth

Coldest weather for Dallas-Fort Worth since 1996

Temperatures of 12 degrees with wind chills below zero is not 'usual' winter weather in the Dallas area. That's more like Chicago or St. Paul. I don't like cold winter weather.

Old 09-10-2011, 08:59 PM

1,780 posts, read 4,007,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
I love rain too and believe me, this is an unusual year for it or I should say, "The lack of it." At least it often rains in the summer and many summers, things stay green. On average, Dallas gets a pretty good rainfall amount ... normally. Right off the bat, I can only think of San Diego that would be your kind of weather. It's perfect EXCEPT it only gets about 10 inches of rain a year whereas Dallas' average is 35. Unfortunately though, it can often all come at once, so to speak.
Somewhere like Hawaii might be nice too, I guess!

Old 09-10-2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asubram3 View Post
Somewhere like Hawaii might be nice too, I guess!
Good choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas