Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2010, 08:08 PM

554 posts, read 1,193,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
I am not a native Texan, but I don't deny the heat here. We're not talking about places that are hotter ... there are many as you indicated ... so there really isn't a need to compare unless one wants to move to such places and needs a comparison. Central CA ... no thank you.

Amazingly enough, the dew point in Dallas has finally dropped under the 60s at 57, so that's better. It makes it feel more like Las Vegas now with a heat index of 100 in LV and Dallas at 103 ... much better.
Well, I believe the comparison is necessary in order to show people that things could be worse. My point is that people native to here act as if this IS THE hottest spot on the planet. So yes, comparison is necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 08:18 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,456,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerGuy View Post
Well, I believe the comparison is necessary in order to show people that things could be worse. My point is that people native to here act as if this IS THE hottest spot on the planet. So yes, comparison is necessary.

Not in my experience. Even looking at this board...y'all remember last summer? Natives were trying to convince transplants that it isn't the hottest place on the planet and they didn't want to hear it. Yes, it's hot. Yes, there are hotter places. It will cool off in fall and will actually get cold in the winter- they didn't believe that either, then we had a foot of snow.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:31 PM

1,004 posts, read 3,748,147 times
The weather in Dallas right now is wonderful !!!

I've been working outside from 8am to 2pm and from 5pm to 9pm. With a couple of fans, it is just gorgeous !!!!!!!

Old 07-31-2010, 08:31 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,549,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Not in my experience. Even looking at this board...y'all remember last summer? Natives were trying to convince transplants that it isn't the hottest place on the planet and they didn't want to hear it. Yes, it's hot. Yes, there are hotter places. It will cool off in fall and will actually get cold in the winter- they didn't believe that either, then we had a foot of snow.
Agree with TXNGL. I don't think we think this is the hottest place ever. For most natives, this is just how it is...we know no different. But I do think we talk up the heat a lot here on this board for the sake of the transplants...mostly to prepare them because for many transplants it IS the hottest place they have been (And by hottest, I mean consistently hot...many other places in the US can have a scorcher of a day...they just don't usually have weeks and weeks straight of them). Many people are just not prepared for the heat when they move here...they have a hard time imagining it when they haven't ever experienced anything like it. It would be like me trying to understand what it is really like LIVING day in and day out in a place where you have waist deep snow on the ground and bone-chilling cold for weeks on end. I just can't pathom it.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
LOL. That was awesome!Yeah, I haven't seen enough on here to know that native posters are saying the same thing I am saying. I am mainly irritated with natives on the street that I meet.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:24 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,460,144 times
High humidity is what I don't care for. I'd rather it be 105 degrees with humidity in the 20s or 30s than 85 degrees (20 degrees cooler) and humidity in the 50 percent range or higher. I find the summers in the DFW area very tolerable compared to the southeastern states with dripping wet humidity and lower temperatures.

I play a lot of golf, and practice a lot when I'm not playing. I'm in the sun a lot and oftentimes during the highest heat of the day. I'll take 100+ degrees here any day compared to the 80s with drenching humidity.

For the most part - if you are not used to being active outside (in most any summer climate) you will likely find it uncomfortable. Take a look at the children playing, the joggers, the bikers, etc. They don't find it intolerable. Wonder why? Because they are in good shape and are active outside...

Old 07-31-2010, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
High humidity is what I don't care for. I'd rather it be 105 degrees with humidity in the 20s or 30s than 85 degrees (20 degrees cooler) and humidity in the 50 percent range or higher. I find the summers in the DFW area very tolerable compared to the southeastern states with dripping wet humidity and lower temperatures.

I play a lot of golf, and practice a lot when I'm not playing. I'm in the sun a lot and oftentimes during the highest heat of the day. I'll take 100+ degrees here any day compared to the 80s with drenching humidity.

For the most part - if you are not used to being active outside (in most any summer climate) you will likely find it uncomfortable. Take a look at the children playing, the joggers, the bikers, etc. They don't find it intolerable. Wonder why? Because they are in good shape and are active outside...
My thoughts exactly! I think we have it good here in Dallas.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:46 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,251,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerGuy View Post
Okay, but anyone with a lick of sense should know there are even hotter places than Texas. You're kind to "help them along."

Old 07-31-2010, 11:00 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,251,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galore View Post
The weather in Dallas right now is wonderful !!!

I've been working outside from 8am to 2pm and from 5pm to 9pm. With a couple of fans, it is just gorgeous !!!!!!!
Wow, gorgeous. Okay. How does one work outside with fans unless one is staying in one position? I haven't resorted to fans while working outdoors. That just wouldn't work for me.

I began yard work this evening where I live south of Dallas and the temperature was 99. By the time I finished at dark, the temperature was 87. It was quite brutal (the usual ... ears ringing, dizzy, headache, etc.) when I began but about 8 p.m., it felt much better. You guys in Dallas were a bit warmer at the same time, 102 and 96.

Old 08-01-2010, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Okay, but anyone with a lick of sense should know there are even hotter places than Texas. You're kind to "help them along."
Well, I 'm sorry but you seemed to have needed me to explain to you why I made the comparison. You, Canine*Castle, are the one who replied with "I don't need to compare unless someone wants to move" as if that is the only time in which I am allowed to make a comparison. I think that people here exaggerate the heat. I simply said that this is not the hottest place on the planet. Therefore, people here need to stop complaining so much about the heat. A comparison is necessary to prove such a point. The, "You're kind to "help them along", comment was not necessary and comes off as rude and dismissive.

Furthermore, why are you attacking Galore? Galore gave his/her opinion and he/she happens to thrive in this weather and believes that it is gorgeous. Your sarcastic reply of, "Wow, gorgeous. Okay..." was also not necessary.

Last edited by TowerGuy; 08-01-2010 at 03:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas