Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2009, 03:41 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,888,220 times

Advertisements

we lived outside of Oakland CA and I was 9 mo pregnant in AUG. That was in the 90's when CA was in a big drought... 98-105 almost all of August.... we had no AC. I wasn't a very pleasant pregger wife!!

My in-laws in NY (hudson valley) still don't have AC...we just got them to put in a ceiling fan...1 in the master bedroom. Let me tell you it gets darn humid there and it's miserable to sleep.

I'll 105 with AC any day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 03:49 PM

3,463 posts, read 7,306,337 times
Lakewooder - did you grow up anywhere near Ellsworth Avenue between Hillside and Sperry?

Old 07-14-2009, 03:51 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
I lived on Yosemite -- so very close -- the creek/lake goes under Sperry. A friend of mine who lived in the Cloisters and I are responsible for the "No Fishing" sign on that bridge (an old biddy did not like our fishing there). Norman Rockwell was appalled.

Old 07-14-2009, 04:10 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,594,425 times
Yeah, I'm a wimp. I can take the heat outside--I work outside sitting stationary and it's not that bad--but it's difficult to sleep when it's 90+ in the house, even with fans on.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:44 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,608,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Wimps!

LOL -- one of my grandmothers absolutely would not have AC - she had a back sleeping porch under a tree with a window fan and a oscillating fan on her dresser. That was it.

If she visited someone with AC, she would go sit outside...
My parents would send us down to San Antonio every summer for about a month to stay with our grandparents. Guess what, they don't believe in air conditioning either. I still think about that and wonder how we did it. I don't think kids notice those things like adults do.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:05 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
The fall weather is just like it is now, but 80-90.. if there is a cold spell it drops to 70. booooring
That's not totally true. Although fall officially starts the 3rd week in September, it's still summer here. I should have clarified that. Actually, summer goes on until about the end of October and then it CAN get pretty cool, definitely cooler than 70.

The problem is that it doesn't stay cold, but from the end of October until early April, we can have some pretty chilly days. No, it's not CO, but it's still such a relief after the days on end of heat from May until October.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
Help muh, Jeebus....
I just heard on the news that Texas is in the worst drought in over 50 years. How lucky are we?

Old 07-14-2009, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
Yeah, I'm a wimp. I can take the heat outside--I work outside sitting stationary and it's not that bad--but it's difficult to sleep when it's 90+ in the house, even with fans on.
I agree. My point was not to imply you were a wimp. I just can't figure out why I'm a wimp because I don't like the heat. You're the proof in the pudding....even natives Texans take drastic measures when it's hot.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:22 PM

3,463 posts, read 7,306,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I lived on Yosemite -- so very close -- the creek/lake goes under Sperry. A friend of mine who lived in the Cloisters and I are responsible for the "No Fishing" sign on that bridge (an old biddy did not like our fishing there). Norman Rockwell was appalled.
Haha! Funny!

Old 07-14-2009, 06:36 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portyhead24 View Post
My parents would send us down to San Antonio every summer for about a month to stay with our grandparents. Guess what, they don't believe in air conditioning either. I still think about that and wonder how we did it. I don't think kids notice those things like adults do.
When my dad's parents lived in Dallas they had a screened in side porch on their rock faced home down off Inwood and Denton Dr. My grandmother stayed out there all the time w/ no a/c sewing (that was her profession). When they moved to East Texas they still refused to turn on the a/c even though their house there had it. They were in the THICK of East Texas too where even though it is far from a "concrete jungle" it can be hot. We would go down every weekend and I swear my sis and I were NEVER inside except to sleep. We were too busy outside playing and running all over the acreage they had down there I remember sitting in their car and truck pretending to be driving in the heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas