Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2011, 06:32 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,873,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
God bless you Texans! I wouldn't live down there if I was given a house AND a job. Y'all are a "special" breed for sure
And you Midwesterners are a different breed for withstanding Michigan winters, LOL!!

But having said that, I left Texas after a lifetime (50+ years native) in HOT...and while I miss my home state dearly, I do NOT miss the summers...especially those like this one--and I've been in a few that are just that bad.

We have warm days where I am now (low 90s, haven't broken 100 yet this summer), but nights in the high 50s-high 60s. My AC does not run at night or in the mornings, but for a few hours in the afternoon. I can keep my thermostat at 78, and be perfectly comfortable.

In West Texas, constant running of ACs...and breakdowns just when you need it the most....noooooooo. I don't think I can ever go back to that, either.

Last edited by Cathy4017; 08-04-2011 at 06:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 06:36 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,817,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
You're a pretty despicable person. You can't be bothered to be a little uncomfortable so they don't have to shut off people's electricity. Nobody's going to die by turning the air conditioner up a little, maybe even going to the mall or something to stay cool. On the other hand, people can die without any electricity. Maybe you should take your own advice and get over yourself.
LOL! Yes, yes Despicable me Despicable me! The point of my post is obviously lost on your tiny little brain.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:57 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,055,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
LOL! Yes, yes Despicable me Despicable me! The point of my post is obviously lost on your tiny little brain.
Your point was quite clear; you're more concerned with your comfort than anyone else. Nothing more needs to be said.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:59 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,473,186 times

Old 08-04-2011, 08:05 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,817,748 times
Quote:
Your point was quite clear; you're more concerned with your comfort than anyone else. Nothing more needs to be said.
Not at all my point actually..I was saying it's presumptuous to call everyone selfish for keeping their A/Cs at a certain Temp. Some could have a good reason for keeping a But whatever, it wasn't directed at you so don't worry about it.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:15 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,055,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
Not at all my point actually..I was saying it's presumptuous to call everyone selfish for keeping their A/Cs at a certain Temp. Some could have a good reason for keeping a But whatever, it wasn't directed at you so don't worry about it.
This whole thing was started by DaveG99, whose reason for setting his thermostat to 74 was, "I have the right to buy as much power as I want." That's not a good reason just as BigDGeek was saying before you called him/her a curmudgeon. Really, the only good reason is major health problems.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:52 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,557,083 times
People seem to be a little more aggressive on these threads lately...blame it on the heat?

Old 08-04-2011, 09:07 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,473,186 times
Texas Rain Gauge

Old 08-04-2011, 09:17 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
i turned my AC down to 73 in honor of bigdgeek
Can you see my middle finger from Plano?

Quote:
You're a pretty despicable person. You can't be bothered to be a little uncomfortable so they don't have to shut off people's electricity. Nobody's going to die by turning the air conditioner up a little, maybe even going to the mall or something to stay cool. On the other hand, people can die without any electricity. Maybe you should take your own advice and get over yourself.
Quote:
This whole thing was started by DaveG99, whose reason for setting his thermostat to 74 was, "I have the right to buy as much power as I want." That's not a good reason just as BigDGeek was saying before you called him/her a curmudgeon. Really, the only good reason is major health problems.
Exactly. And some people actually depend on devices that run on electricity to live. Like people on vents in a home situation who wouldn't be able to breathe if the power went out and they didn't have a generator....all so certain people can't be bothered to crank the thermostat up. People have died due to power outages rendering their medical equipment useless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
People seem to be a little more aggressive on these threads lately...blame it on the heat?
Skids doesn't live here, and I'm not being aggressive at all.

Old 08-05-2011, 01:06 AM

1,837 posts, read 4,148,902 times
I agree...humidity is horrible. I lived in Oklahoma last summer and to me it felt hotter there because of the higher humidity. But it is very hot here and being from the PNW I am not used to it. It feels like my skin is burning when I just walk to the car from my house!! Hey, at least we have a pool which is really helpful. Try to enjoy some water somewhere....it is very refreshing when the heat is in the triple digits... We will appreciate the winter this year...that is for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootr View Post
Yes - it's hot, but it's summer. It's supposed to be hot in the Southwest.

Yesterday I saw 108 degrees here, but the humidity was in the low 20% range, which makes it bearable as long as you are in the shade. Phoenix was even hotter with slightly lower humidity.

Personally I would rather it be 105 degrees with low humidity rather than 85 with high humidity. High humidity is what I don't like.

Give me Dallas' 100+ summertime temperatures with low humidity any day compared to the thick and sweaty air in the Southeastern states. It's common in those states (e.g. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Tennessee, Alabama, Louisiana) for the humidity to be so high that you're soaking wet even with a temperature of just 80 degrees. I can't stand that... And when the temperature in those places gets into the 90s you look like someone has soaked you with a hose - your hair is wet and so is your clothing. It's commonplace to see sweat dripping off people's chins as they sit in the shade exerting no energy.

It may get hot here in Dallas, but at least it's bearable compared to many areas that have lower temperatures but higher humidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas