U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2009, 09:55 PM

161 posts, read 506,895 times

Advertisements

I' am a single 24 year-old guy who is planning on leaving San Diego after I separate from the Navy next year and I' am pretty much set on moving to DFW. I plan on attending a junior college when I get there and then transfering to a four-year university.

What areas of DFW would be ideal for a guy my age in terms of cost of living, schools, and things to do? I will probably have about $3,000 saved up in the bank. Will that be enough to survive on for a few months while I look for a part-time job? Also, I will have the G.I. bill benefits to help cover the cost of school and living expenses (i.e. a monthly housing allowance while going to school).

I know that the area is HUGE, and that the Dallas side of the metroplex has a very active atmosphere and alot going on, while the Fort Worth side seems to be pretty quite and laid-back. I' am a huge fan of watersports and I like the fact that there are several very large lakes in the area. I also really like the pro-sports scene.

Since I have relatives that live in the DFW area, I have been able to spend a decent amount of time there. I like the area alot (both Dallas and Fort Worth; as well as many of the surrounding areas). I like the friendly atmosphre. I also like the fact that the metroplex is only 8 hours from my immediate family in SW Missouri (as to opposed to the 2+ days drive from California).

Anyway, I have heard that the economy in Texas has actually been doing really well (unlike Cali's) despite the national economy. I heard that the Dallas-Fort Worth area is especially doing well, with steady job growth. Is that pretty much the case?

Any advice and or additional info. on DFW area is greatly appreciated!
Take Care!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 01:23 PM

3 posts, read 6,956 times
Default San Diego to Dallas

Dallas is a great place to live and it's certainly very different than San Diego. If you like heat and moderate winters, this is the place for you.

I'm sure your family has alot of advice for places for you to live, but for someone your age, I would suggest North Dallas, Uptown and/or Downtown (pricey) or Las Colinas. North Oak Cliff is becoming a nice spot, but stay away from any other areas down there (Oak Cliff and South Dallas).

Enjoy!

Old 07-20-2009, 08:51 AM

26 posts, read 66,558 times
I want to thank you for your service to the country and I think you are considering a very smart move to DFW. You will find the cost of living here is much cheaper than San Diego and the job situation is probably the best in the country right now. My advice to the live in North Richardson or Plano. This would put you in Collin County so you could go to Collin County Community College. This is probably the finest Community College system in the state and also very affordable. When you finish your first 2 years there, you can transfer directly to the University of Texas-Dallas. This fine school is actually located in North Richardson. Good Luck and best wishes!

Old 07-20-2009, 09:00 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,347,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj04 View Post
I want to thank you for your service to the country and I think you are considering a very smart move to DFW. You will find the cost of living here is much cheaper than San Diego and the job situation is probably the best in the country right now.
Thank you! And I totally agree with the above comments.

You may want to consider Fort Worth. Very fast growing and there is a NAS with exchange on the northwest side of the city. Navy Federal CU also has a branch nearby.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:01 AM

71,683 posts, read 83,244,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungSanDiegoDude View Post
I' am a single 24 year-old guy who is planning on leaving San Diego after I separate from the Navy next year and I' am pretty much set on moving to DFW. I plan on attending a junior college when I get there and then transfering to a four-year university.

What areas of DFW would be ideal for a guy my age in terms of cost of living, schools, and things to do? I will probably have about $3,000 saved up in the bank. Will that be enough to survive on for a few months while I look for a part-time job? Also, I will have the G.I. bill benefits to help cover the cost of school and living expenses (i.e. a monthly housing allowance while going to school).

I know that the area is HUGE, and that the Dallas side of the metroplex has a very active atmosphere and alot going on, while the Fort Worth side seems to be pretty quite and laid-back. I' am a huge fan of watersports and I like the fact that there are several very large lakes in the area. I also really like the pro-sports scene.

Since I have relatives that live in the DFW area, I have been able to spend a decent amount of time there. I like the area alot (both Dallas and Fort Worth; as well as many of the surrounding areas). I like the friendly atmosphre. I also like the fact that the metroplex is only 8 hours from my immediate family in SW Missouri (as to opposed to the 2+ days drive from California).

Anyway, I have heard that the economy in Texas has actually been doing really well (unlike Cali's) despite the national economy. I heard that the Dallas-Fort Worth area is especially doing well, with steady job growth. Is that pretty much the case?

Any advice and or additional info. on DFW area is greatly appreciated!
Take Care!
SanDiego Dude, I have read your posts on the Calif board and am glad you have decided on the DFW area..I think you will be happy with your choice and I am not sure it will even be 8 hours from your family, but that depends. We are in NWA, on the SW MO border and it is about 6 plus hours for us, that includes stopping to eat once.

Anyway, yes $3000, should keep you going for a few months but you will have to be very careful and 2 months is as long as it will last, max!!!

Because you do have limited funds, I don't think DFW proper, uptown or those areas like Las Colinas will work for you, maybe later. I would suggest you think about Denton. There are 2 colleges there, so certainly lots of young people, there is a CC near and the cost of living is much lower. Another area would be Addison, lots of young singles there and a fairly active night life, but not a huge party area. It too may be a little pricey.

Someone suggested Ft Worth, that too is a possibility. I am sure you will have no trouble finding a place, it is a matter of weeding areas out, more than finding a good location. Plano is more a family community and Richardson is a little older group so may not appeal to you as much, but they are great areas.

Good luck, hope you enjoy living in Texas, heat and all and good luck finding a job. Yes, the DFW area has not been hit as hard as much of the country, certainly nothing like California. What type of work will you be looking for? I don't know if any are hiring but one of the best places to work while you are deciding on what it is you really want is a call center. There are several in Dallas, American has one, Geico, Hilton and Wyndom hotels, just to mention a few.Oh, Budget as sell. Wyndom (spelling) did have one, I guess they still do. They may not pay great but it is a start. I am guessing Hilton starts about $10.00 an hour now, Geico maybe a little more and they always have a lot of young help.

Nita

Nit

Old 07-20-2009, 10:08 AM

1,061 posts, read 3,189,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I don't know if any are hiring but one of the best places to work while you are deciding on what it is you really want is a call center. There are several in Dallas, American has one, Geico, Hilton and Wyndom hotels, just to mention a few.Oh, Budget as sell. Wyndom (spelling) did have one, I guess they still do. They may not pay great but it is a start. I am guessing Hilton starts about $10.00 an hour now, Geico maybe a little more and they always have a lot of young help.
When I was in college, I worked at the Neiman Marcus catalog call center in Irving- they allow very, very flexible schedules for college students, pay well for the level of work expected, and as a company offer great benefits. I think you could make it in the Las Colinas area if you budgeted and if you worked there would have zero commute. My hubby worked at the Associates credit card company while we were in college, also in Irving and that's another good option for a college students because of the available hours and schedules. I think he was making $13 per hour when he left, and this was back in '01. Very livable wage for a single student compared to cost of living there. Good luck in making your choice!

Old 07-20-2009, 12:29 PM

1,491 posts, read 4,643,126 times
Community college is a great choice......Texas has a outstanding network of them. If you are planning to transfer to a university later on most of them can prepare you for that (be sure and work closely with the advisors, tho, and let them know your ultimate goals). However, if you are looking at the vocational programs (great option!! there are usually many good jobs waiting for vocational grads), please note that not all campuses offer all vocational programs....study the programs offered at each campus and decide what you plan to major in before deciding on a college or where to live or work while in school.

Thanks for your service to all of us here at home and best wishes to you!

Old 07-21-2009, 01:32 PM

53 posts, read 128,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj04 View Post
I want to thank you for your service to the country and I think you are considering a very smart move to DFW. You will find the cost of living here is much cheaper than San Diego and the job situation is probably the best in the country right now. My advice to the live in North Richardson or Plano. This would put you in Collin County so you could go to Collin County Community College. This is probably the finest Community College system in the state and also very affordable. When you finish your first 2 years there, you can transfer directly to the University of Texas-Dallas. This fine school is actually located in North Richardson. Good Luck and best wishes!
Totally agree! The Collin County Community Colllege is great and a perfect place to start your education for the first couple of years. They even have student apartments avaliable at a discounted rent near the Spring Creek campus in Plano.

Also the Collin county area is great for jobs and very low crime.

The negative is it is not as much of a singles sort of place. But you can always drive into Dallas or Addison for that.

By the way, THANKS for serving our country!

Old 07-21-2009, 01:51 PM

16,092 posts, read 36,505,816 times
San Diego vs. Dallas

Old 07-23-2009, 07:13 AM

26 posts, read 66,558 times
Default Moving to Dallas-Fort Worth from San Diego next spring; advice/info. needed!

Again thanks for your service. As a Marine veteran who attended college many years ago-this is what I would advice.
1. Determine what your VA benefits are going to pay if you are a full time student.
2. What are your estimated living expenses
3. Go to a junior college and establish residency. Note-I think this will take 1 year of proven residency in Texas
4. Determine what you interest are and which Degree you will persue.
5. If you determine 1-4 (not necessarily in order) I think you will understand your monthly burn rate and how much you will need to work and where you need to live.

Good luck Tex!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or