Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2009, 05:24 AM

7 posts, read 33,192 times

Advertisements

We are looking to buy a home in Frisco and found the perfect home. We love the house, but are concerned with an adjacent neighborhood, King's Ridge. Do any of you have any info on that area? The neighborhood our prospective house is in is very neat and well kept, but just a few blocks over is Tournament...the houses/condos(?) there are a mess. It doesn't look like people are taking care of their property very much. We have driven around in Kings Ridge looking for a different house and it doesn't seem like even the whole Kings Ridge neighborhood is subject to this blight, just the main thoroughfare.

I guess what we are worried about is that this could signal a trend for the whole area.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by lucky_d; 07-23-2009 at 05:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 07:00 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
There have been many issues with the homes in Kings Ridge. Many of them have had massive foundation problems which Grand Homes has taken care of (in some cases). There have also been many foreclosures and the warranties are voided at that time, and many have foundation issues that would now cost a resale buyer out of pocket instead of through the builder's warranty.

It's hard to sell a house where the neighbor just did upwards of $30k in foundation work because the same might happen to your house as well. There was just something about this particular neighborhood, and the assumption is they didn't fully complete their soil testing before building or these issues would not be effecting the entire neighborhood like it is.

It's not like it's a $100k neighborhood, so I wouldn't worry too much about living near it. It'll turn around, but it'll take some time for the home owners to settle down.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:29 AM

7 posts, read 33,192 times
Falconhead, thank you so much for that feedback. I really hope it works out because I adore this house, but I didn't want to have "blinders" on about the location. Our realtor didn't seem to think it was that much of a problem, but we felt nervous about crime being a possibility from the unkempt rental properties. It's not like we would even have to drive by there, but just didn't want to put ourselves in a high risk area. My gut feeling was that it was just a little "patch" of decay amongst a majority of nice homes, but my husband, in particular, was very worried.

I'm glad to hear any feedback from anyone who has knowledge of the area.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:47 PM

175 posts, read 482,822 times
You need to go to friscoonline.com , you will get a lot of feedback on that particualar neighborhood.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:13 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,250,942 times
Kings Ridge is at the bottom of the price range for Frisco. Any time a neighborhood is the cheapest in a nice area, the homes will tend to turn into rentals. Especially in a neighborhood that has a mixture of SFR and duplexes.

Naima

Old 07-23-2009, 04:07 PM

53 posts, read 145,779 times
The Dallas area sit on unusual black soil that has rather strange expansion properties. Be sure to learn about watering your foundation in the summer time. Yes, I'm serious. The slab foundations need even water content in the soil around them or it can result in foundation cracks. Not a major issue, just learn about it, and take care of your foundation.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:28 PM

2 posts, read 4,389 times
Kings Ridge is a nice neighborhood which was affected by investors from out of state buying up homes during the peak around 2004 and 2005, they over paid and when their ARMS or no interest financing came due and the property did not appreciate by 50% they walked. This is where the foreclosures came from. As far as foundation issues, the only builder I know of in that neighborhood that had/has issues is Grandhomes and that is only on a certain street. (Autumn wood Trail) I think they graded the street and did not do the foundation properly. The other builders like David Weekly, Sotherby's, TollBrothers, Oakley Custom, and many other custom builders are not having foundation issues. Most homes yards are well kept but you can really tell which houses are investor owned/leased. It looks like most of the investment homes have already gone through foreclosure so when those get out of KingsRidge I think that neighborhood will stabilize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: