Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 04:47 PM

1,101 posts, read 4,328,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lh_newbie View Post
$1500 steep? From what I saw online, that's about the price of a heavy duty sliding gate mechanism... not including the frame, nor installation. While I love DIY, I do not have welding skills, so will have someone install the gate and I'll do the fence.

I'm looking at one that's ~ 22 feet wide, is 8' tall and the frame is built with square stock steel so it will be very durable. Just got a rough estimate of $4600, installed for a unit with an extra heavy duty 1HP motor since we MAY be doing Ipe wood (incredibly heavy, as in 2-3x the weight of the typical cedar fence). That quote was just the frame + motor + installation, I told them I was undecided on wood species at this point, so I would install the wood once the gate itself is installed.
I would also verify with them what they are using as the footing for the rail (I assume they quoted that as part of the installation) with the weight that you're talking about. You sure don't want them to skimp on that and have it move or tilt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 08:50 AM

308 posts, read 1,232,010 times
Quote:
$1500 steep? From what I saw online, that's about the price of a heavy duty sliding gate mechanism... not including the frame, nor installation. While I love DIY, I do not have welding skills, so will have someone install the gate and I'll do the fence.

I'm looking at one that's ~ 22 feet wide, is 8' tall and the frame is built with square stock steel so it will be very durable. Just got a rough estimate of $4600, installed for a unit with an extra heavy duty 1HP motor since we MAY be doing Ipe wood (incredibly heavy, as in 2-3x the weight of the typical cedar fence). That quote was just the frame + motor + installation, I told them I was undecided on wood species at this point, so I would install the wood once the gate itself is installed.
The $1500 was for the motor only for a 10 ft swinging gate, which is much less complicated and less HP than the sliding gate.

Fence Supply Inc is a good place to get all the other materias for DIY. I think $4600 is too much, you could probably get it cheaper if you call around.

Old 07-28-2009, 04:39 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
are you talking about having a metal/wrought iron gate/fence that is open
or are you talking about a wooden-panel that moves so it resembles the same privacy fence most yards have
people in our old neighborhood had a sliding--not opening--wood panel gate across their drive way
it was VERY slow to open and takes a good bit of space as well

we at our new house have black painted metal fencing across both of the front side yards with gates and a double-sided opening-outward metal gate with remote access that is across the driveway portion

we had a panel burn out last week or so and had it replaced by company out of Wautaga (I think)
got their name off Angie's List--happened Friday evening--called Saturday and two-man crew came out Monday I think--
replaced the panel with that from different company they said held up better--reattached the arms that my husband had to disconnect to use the gate--
think the name was all solar gates because that is all they do--

just for fun--why would you want to buy IPE which is expensive as heck for a fence/gate---it is difficult enough to justify the cost for a nice patio decking but for a fence????

Old 07-28-2009, 07:30 PM

2,394 posts, read 8,593,636 times
Yeah, after doing my research for the fence, Ipe is out... too darned expensive. I liked the idea of NEVER having to repair the fence.

Also, we want the fence to be wood, just like the rest of the fence. The wood it attached to a metal tube frame.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:25 PM
Tta

64 posts, read 223,112 times
We bought our house with a motorized gate, and it is we love it. It really makes the backyard seem open by spanning it across the driveway.
One thing to keep in mind with getting one installed is if you have animals in the back that you don't want to escape when you come home from work. We are looking into putting a fence up along the driveway to keep our dogs from running out when the gate opens.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:18 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
I think my mother's was around two grand. It's an iron swing gate with the solar battery setup.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:03 PM

1,004 posts, read 3,753,830 times
Quote:
Yeah, after doing my research for the fence, Ipe is out... too darned expensive. I liked the idea of NEVER having to repair the fence.

Also, we want the fence to be wood, just like the rest of the fence. The wood it attached to a metal tube frame.
What about a brick fence? If built right it is maintenance free and looks really good. I had one with a motorized swing gate hung on stone columns in my previous home.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:26 PM

2,394 posts, read 8,593,636 times
Galore - we're weighing all our options. My concern about spending too much on a fence is over-improving for my neighborhood. Don't want to go wasting my money. I haven't seen a single non-wood fence in my neighborhood. Most of them are pine or cedar. There are a handful of motorized gates though the neighborhood, so I feel this wouldn't be overkill.

TTA - yup, the openness is what we're going for. We don't have outdoor pets, so the gate won't create an issue. I've seen people put a 4' simple iron gate between the "yard" and the driveway to keep dogs from escaping. That's a nice way to maintain the open feel gained with the motorized gate.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:24 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
agree that spending too much on a fence would definitely be money you would not see back--
just make sure that if you get a fence it is pre-treated/stained
one less headache to worry about and gets the sides of the boards that painting after construction misses

wood is heavy and when wet it is even heavier--you need to make sure that the motor used to move a horizontal sliding gate vs one that swings open in/out is strong enough to move a gate--and move it quickly enough

some of the reports I have read about Dallas residents who get robbed outside their garages waiting for doors to open--you would not want to wait overly long for that sliding gate to move back and forth

go see several in action before deciding on that format would be my suggestion

Old 07-30-2009, 07:43 AM

1,101 posts, read 4,328,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
some of the reports I have read about Dallas residents who get robbed outside their garages waiting for doors to open--you would not want to wait overly long for that sliding gate to move back and forth
My 3-car wide slider takes about 20 seconds to fully open, although you don't have to wait that long to pull in. It also has a setting where you can stop and reverse it before it finishes travel, so you can open it one car width, pull in, and then close it behind you. The remote also has significant travel down the alley, I can start it opening when I am still 2 or 3 houses down, so it is open enough to pull right in when I get there. We have an Allomatic - (Allomatic)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: