Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 12:36 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times

Advertisements

Mckinney is the antithesis to liberal minded.

Why haven't you tried deep ellum or oaklawn? You could try Addison and Richardson too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katenorthwest View Post
I am from the Pacific Northwest and am desperately seeking a more liberal-minded town near Dallas. I realize it's still Texas- I'm not asking for San Fran liberal- just more liberal than usual. Something that has more than Pottery Barn and Applebees. A town with culture, art, music, parks, lakes, trees, recreation (other than huge sports events). Price doesn't matter.

I've heard Mckinney is cool-- thoughts?? suggestions???

Help!! Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 12:38 PM

lmao where exactly in Austin was hip, liberal, and artsy. The homeless tranny doesn't count as hip and liberal either. That is just wrong and low-class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimithing78 View Post
Even in East Dallas you're not going to find anything remotely close to the Pacific Northwest. As someone else mentioned, Austin is the only place in Texas that might have a shot. Uptown, East Dallas, M Streets and maybe and North Oak Cliff are going to be the closest thing we've got.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:42 PM

That's true, Denton has the largest music and arts college in Texas, as well as festivals and concerts. I'd suggest living in Flower Mound because Denton's traffic is awful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper131 View Post
A town that is not Dallas but near Dallas that might work is Denton.

Others have already given you the liberal areas of Dallas - East Dallas (within there are more neighborhoods), Uptown, Oak Cliff (Bishop Arts, etc).

Old 07-29-2009, 12:51 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,594,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
That's true, Denton has the largest music and arts college in Texas, as well as festivals and concerts. I'd suggest living in Flower Mound because Denton's traffic is awful.
Incredibly conservative with no real cultural connection to Denton in the slightest.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:58 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Richardson has always had a bit of an arty reputation because of the Richardson Symphony, led for decades by Chris Xeros (Woodrow '45). Garland is known for its summer musical.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:02 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Long before your time my friend...nobody on this board was even alive yet when East Dallas was a "suburb". The word suburb when used in 21st century context usually refers to a much smaller city or town not centrally located inside an urban area or major city, but rather on the bordering outskirts of those city limits.

Metropolitan areas like Dallas are sprawling so far out now we're having to use the term exurb to describe once far flung rural farm land that has developed almost over night. A good example of this would be Frisco, Tx.
I am well aware of the term 'exurb' I've caught holy hell for using it here!

I'm not that old but I remember when Garland, Richardson, Plano etc. were towns, not suburbs. There were fields, cattle, cotton and trees between them and Dallas.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:08 PM

So what? Flower Mound is a nice town and is an easy drive to Denton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
Incredibly conservative with no real cultural connection to Denton in the slightest.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:26 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I am well aware of the term 'exurb' I've caught holy hell for using it here!

I'm not that old but I remember when Garland, Richardson, Plano etc. were towns, not suburbs. There were fields, cattle, cotton and trees between them and Dallas.
And then the Earth cooled.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:54 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,594,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
So what? Flower Mound is a nice town and is an easy drive to Denton.
But it has absolutely nothing to do with what the OP was looking for. Neither, really, does Denton, because North Texas State is much more of a commuter school than a residential college.

Neither did Austin, so why you saw the need to bring Austin up really is beyond me. I don't know who dumped you in Austin, but it must have been painful. I'm sorry.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:35 PM

307 posts, read 1,181,504 times
Yea OP, sorry there just isn't any burbs that fit that bill. Bits and pieces perhaps, but nowhere is the total package concentrated. We do have parks, nature preserves, lakes...several music scenes, plenty of arts, festivals, academic areas and somewhat progressive urban areas....but it's all spread around. Dallas proper probably does have the best potential.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas