U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-02-2009, 05:38 PM
 
Location: TX
1,098 posts, read 1,585,701 times
Reputation: 590

Advertisements

Do you all notice this as a very common occurence these days? I keep seeing it mentioned with regard to different areas and suburbs around the metroplex. I really don't notice it at all and I'm not sure if I'm just clueless or too wrapped up in it to see it. Sure, I like to buy gadgets and new things, but ultimately only if I need them and/or I personally think they're cool and in both instances only when I can afford them. I don't really get/do things to 'show off.' I don't have an iPhone for example and about half the people I know do - even though I think they're cool, I don't really need all the features. Or when I see an expensive sports car, I just figure that person likes fast/nice cars. What do you think?

Last edited by tyanger; 08-02-2009 at 05:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-02-2009, 05:52 PM
 
2,231 posts, read 5,423,811 times
Reputation: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyanger View Post
Do you all notice this as a very common occurence these days? I keep seeing it mentioned with regard to different areas and suburbs around the metroplex. I really don't notice it at all and I'm not sure if I'm just clueless or too wrapped up in it to see it. Sure, I like to buy gadgets and new things, but ultimately only if I need them and/or I personally think they're cool and in both instances only when I can afford them. I don't really get/do things to 'show off.' I don't have an iPhone for example and about half the people I know do - even though I think they're cool, I don't really need all the features. What does everyone think?
Taken literally, there is nothing that "everyone" thinks. Most people have a problem agreeing on the time of day or the color of the sky, let alone anything more weighty.

I'd imagine that people who buy an iPhone intend to use it, not just display it to others. And maybe they think they need the features, so they bought one. You don't think you need its features, so you didn't buy one.

An even better question... if people want to spend their money on what they want... why is it any of your business?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2009, 06:10 PM
 
Location: TX
1,098 posts, read 1,585,701 times
Reputation: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
An even better question... if people want to spend their money on what they want... why is it any of your business?
I agree with you completely. I don't care what people spend money on (unless it's taxpayer money). Those were just two examples off the top of my head, I don't mean that you're showing off when you get an iPhone. What I mean is that on this forum different areas around Dallas are often characterized by the presence or absence of this mentality and frankly I haven't noticed it at all. I'm just curious what other peoples' actual experiences are with this phenomenon rather than just hearsay/assumption.

(I changed it to "what do you think", better ?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2009, 08:04 PM
 
2,231 posts, read 5,423,811 times
Reputation: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyanger View Post
I agree with you completely. I don't care what people spend money on (unless it's taxpayer money). Those were just two examples off the top of my head, I don't mean that you're showing off when you get an iPhone. What I mean is that on this forum different areas around Dallas are often characterized by the presence or absence of this mentality and frankly I haven't noticed it at all. I'm just curious what other peoples' actual experiences are with this phenomenon rather than just hearsay/assumption.

(I changed it to "what do you think", better ?)
Thanks for the explanation. Actually, I'm sympathetic to your question, now that I understand it better. It's also my impression that the supposed, or alleged, "materialism" seems to be nonexistent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2009, 11:17 PM
 
Location: southwest michigan
1,061 posts, read 3,197,861 times
Reputation: 500
I was straight-up poor when I lived in Dallas, and I never felt uncomfortable or out of place. I bought stuff at thrift-stores. I had friends who had Dooney & Burke purses. None of us cared what everyone else liked or wore. We just bought what we wanted and all got along great. I never even heard of a Dallas conspicuous consumption syndrome until I started reading this forum .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2009, 06:17 AM
 
Location: Coppell
171 posts, read 481,553 times
Reputation: 84
Well we're "poor" compared to others where we live....Coppell. I'm adult (and practical) enough not to care what others have compared to me. I think the problem is the kids---IMPO. Mine goes to HS and when I drop or pick him up I'm usually competing with Porsches, BMW's, Vettes, etc. for parking spaces....and those vehicles are driven by the kids. I really don't understand how a parent could give a child a brand new Porsche at 17? Especially with the way some kids/people in general drive these days!!!

My point is I have to keep explaining to my kid that other things are more important than what kind of car he drives...college...food on the table...paying your mortgage, etc. It's the kids of the parents that have the "I want it all" attitude where we live...........but then again, I guess they must get that from their parents?

Please don't get me wrong Coppell people! I LOVE living here....hate my house....but love Coppell. Everyone is very nice (including city employees), the city is very clean, and crime is practically non-existent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2009, 06:41 AM
 
2,231 posts, read 5,423,811 times
Reputation: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiis View Post
Well we're "poor" compared to others where we live....Coppell. I'm adult (and practical) enough not to care what others have compared to me. I think the problem is the kids---IMPO. Mine goes to HS and when I drop or pick him up I'm usually competing with Porsches, BMW's, Vettes, etc. for parking spaces....and those vehicles are driven by the kids. I really don't understand how a parent could give a child a brand new Porsche at 17? Especially with the way some kids/people in general drive these days!!!

My point is I have to keep explaining to my kid that other things are more important than what kind of car he drives...college...food on the table...paying your mortgage, etc. It's the kids of the parents that have the "I want it all" attitude where we live...........but then again, I guess they must get that from their parents?

Please don't get me wrong Coppell people! I LOVE living here....hate my house....but love Coppell. Everyone is very nice (including city employees), the city is very clean, and crime is practically non-existent.
If someone can give their kid a BMW as a starter car, I'd say... good for them. I was only able to give my child a used Saturn... but I didn't feel the need to apologize for my poverty... infact, neither my daughter nor I were upset by the fact that some people had more disposable income, nor did we feel guilty about the existence of those who had less.

I think you have similar values, although you have expressed them differently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2009, 07:27 AM
 
Location: Lake Highlands (Dallas)
2,395 posts, read 7,756,421 times
Reputation: 1035
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyanger View Post
Sure, I like to buy gadgets and new things, but ultimately only if I need them and/or I personally think they're cool and in both instances only when I can afford them.
Kudos on only buying them if you can afford them. Very responsible. But, for the record, no one NEEDS these gadgets. People saying they need something because they want it badly or if it could be handy does not qualify as a need is a pet peeve of mine. Hehe.

I personally don't pay attention to what everyone else has. My wife and I are very blessed in that we both have jobs that pay well. We have more than enough home. We only pay cash for things. We channel a very large portion of our income into retirement. What we have left after that is ours and no one had the right to judge how one spends it.

That said, I do have a hard time with folks that live on credit, as in the end, if they default on that credit and the expenses get absorbed by the credit company, I do have issue with that. At the end of the day, those costs do get passed on to the responsible people of the world. Other than that... who cares what people spend their money on - what's right for me isn't right for everyone. Otherwise, it'd be a boring world.

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2009, 12:53 PM
 
4,370 posts, read 11,446,068 times
Reputation: 2566
In my neighborhood you would be hard pressed to find a house over 200k. I makes you wonder when you see a 70k Mercedes/BMW park out front.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2009, 01:11 PM
 
Location: southwest michigan
1,061 posts, read 3,197,861 times
Reputation: 500
Maybe a person really likes cars and would rather have a simple house and a fancy car than a fancy house and a simple car. I think that's what the OP is getting at- if some people buy nice things, it doesn't necessarily mean there's a keepin' up with the jones' mentality. It just means that some people value different things than others. If there was an expectation that everyone have a Mercedes/BMW or else be shunned or looked down upon by the community, then that would be different. But if someone just makes the choice to use their disposable income on a nice car, that's their 'druthers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top