Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 08:07 PM

12 posts, read 28,540 times

Advertisements

We are in the process of relocating to Dallas, Texas soon due to a new job offer for my husband. I am a special education teacher who has certification in bilingual education as well. I was wondering what the process is to get hired as a teacher in Dallas when you already have a license in teaching, are certified under NCLB, and have passed all of the teacher certification exams (with a master's degree as well). Also, we have a 1 year old son and we want to know what areas are good "family" areas to live in or near the downtown Dallas areas. We are willing to commute an hour or less to work in the city and are looking for a place with the following criteria:

1. diversity- coming from NYC I don't want to feel like the only hispanic there, yet I don't want it to be ALL Hispanics. I just want some form of diversity for my little baby and family.

2. Family oriented neighborhood. What I mean by this is that I want a place that is relatively safe, clean and where there are at least enough friendly people that we can simply smile at and say hello when my family goes for a walk.

3. Although I already mentioned this, safety is key. We want a safe environment where I can watch my son from a distance as he plays in our yard without anything crazy hapening.

If anyone can help me with sugggestions on a relatively decent neighborhood or with the teacher certification information, I would kindly appreciate it . Thanks!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 08:25 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,423,702 times
You need to get Texas certified.

All the information you need can be found here.

Welcome to the State Board for Educator Certification (http://www.sbec.state.tx.us/SBECOnline/default.asp - broken link)

It doesn't look like the New York tests transfer over, so you might have to take the Texas tests.

Are you specifically a special education teacher, or do you have a subject with a special education qualification? The job market for teachers is ridiculously tight in Texas, due to a large number of schools that turn out quality teachers. With your qualifications, though, you might find it easier. Just be aware of it.

As for where to live, it will all be cheaper than NYC, so what is your budget and where is your husband going to be working? In Dallas proper? North, downtown?

Dallas is exceptionally spread out, and the traffic can be a nightmare, so budget and work location are fairly important.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:29 PM

I can work anywhere that will hire be within an hour from downtown Dallas. My husband will be working there so he needs to be at work at 5 am....So we need to be somewhat close just so he can at least get 8 hours of sleep. Also...what do you mean by Texas being tight for teaching job. By the way, I am certified in general education (grades 1-6), I am also certified in Special education Grades 1-2) and I have a bilingual certification. I have a master's degree in urban education and would love to work in the inner city if possible. I heard Irving is in high need of bilingual educators.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPDSWIFE11605 View Post
I can work anywhere that will hire be within an hour from downtown Dallas. My husband will be working there so he needs to be at work at 5 am....So we need to be somewhat close just so he can at least get 8 hours of sleep. Also...what do you mean by Texas being tight for teaching job. By the way, I am certified in general education (grades 1-6), I am also certified in Special education Grades 1-2) and I have a bilingual certification. I have a master's degree in urban education and would love to work in the inner city if possible. I heard Irving is in high need of bilingual educators.

I mean just that. There are more teachers than jobs. Someone with your qualifications will probably have better luck than someone fresh out of school, but just be aware that there are a ton of qualified teachers in Texas.

You'll need to see about getting a Texas teaching certificate, I am not sure if there is a "grace period" where you can still use your NY certificate. But if you call the help number for SBEC, they are actually helpful, instead of useless. They can tell you exactly what you need to know.

Getting to downtown that early won't be a problem, the streets are pretty deserted.

What's your budget?

Old 08-08-2009, 08:36 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,240,297 times
Job wise you should have no problem finding work. There is a lot of demand for bilingual teachers for math and science as well as ESL teachers.

There is a very large Hispanic population overall in the metro area. There are areas that are have a good mix of different races, some that are mostly white, and some that are minority majority. Hispanic is a pretty broad term, and I'm not sure if you are looking for anything specific. The vast, vast majority of Hispanics here are Mexican or of Mexican descent. For what it's worth if you have tan skin and speak Spanish many people will assume you are Mexican.

Diversity wise I would suggest Richardson or Garland. Richardson is extremely diverse, its safe, and close to Dallas. It's an inner ring suburb so most of the housing stock is older, but there are new homes as well. Garland does not have a sterling reputation, but most of that stems from peoples dislike of anyplace that is not lily white, and brand new. I'd suggest the ZIPs of 75040, 75044, 75081, and 75082.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:38 PM

6,822 posts, read 14,034,515 times
It's been years since I have been in the school district but I believe there is a high demand for special ed and bilingual teachers. It your husband has to be at work 5 am is options are really open. Giving your budget will really help us narrow down your options. Do you want a urban or a suburban lifestyle. Dallas is pretty diverse so I don't think you will have any problems finding a place you will feel comfortable. A little more information will really help.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:38 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,594,425 times
"Within an hour" and "close" are synonymous to you? You poor people.

Many districts in Texas have a hiring freeze. Many of those who don't are going to be rather insular on who they hire--Austin districts like to hire fresh UT grads because they're cheap. Districts may choose a new grad over someone with your qualifications to save money.

Is your bilingual education certificate for English and Spanish? Because otherwise there won't be much market here at all. I know New York has all different sorts of foreigners there so I'm not sure if yours would be relevant here.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:46 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,240,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
"Within an hour" and "close" are synonymous to you? You poor people.

Many districts in Texas have a hiring freeze. Many of those who don't are going to be rather insular on who they hire--Austin districts like to hire fresh UT grads because they're cheap. Districts may choose a new grad over someone with your qualifications to save money.

Is your bilingual education certificate for English and Spanish? Because otherwise there won't be much market here at all. I know New York has all different sorts of foreigners there so I'm not sure if yours would be relevant here.

English/Spanish Bilingual is huge plus, but I would say being proficient in another second language would be irrelevant. There are quite a few people in the area from Vietnam, China, India, Pakistan, etc.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:58 PM

My bilingual certification is in both Spanish and English, with Spanish being the second language. It terms of a budget, we are looking to rent first from 900-1,2000 since together we have a combined income of over 90,000 a year (that's if I get a teaching job in Dallas that makes 35,000 or more). We are looking for a suburb that is 45 minutes or so from the city life. As a New Yorker I don't think I will like the rural life. I definitely want to be close enough to the city to go there once in a while, but far enough to feel at home without constantly hearing people in the streets or high volumes of traffic. I grew up in the Bronx and want to get away from all that.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:06 PM

The traffic will be difficult to escape no matter where you are.

I'd go more south, it will be a little less expensive and easier for him to get to downtown. Duncanville, Lancaster.

Irving would work as well, maybe Grapevine, but that would stretch the budget some.

If you want to go north, Richardson or Garland maybe.

Most teaching jobs in the D/FW are will pay at least $40K.

Like I said, you maybe be able to find a job immediately, but most districts are pretty much done hiring unless something comes up.

Just be aware that it can be very difficult to find a teaching job here.

But you can live pretty well on $55K a year here, so if something doesn't come up immediately, you'll be OK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas