Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 05:50 PM
RRE RRE started this thread

5 posts, read 10,494 times

Advertisements

I have been looking at the threads around here and there is some great information out there. I am a local Real Estate Agent and have had HUGE problems with the big banks closing on time. I have googled till my fingers hurt but can't find any information on the actual times to underwriting with big banks (WF, BOA, Chase) does anyone have that information as an insider. I know there are lenders on here and will say that 30-45 days but out of 4-5 deals a month with large lenders less than 2 actually close on time at no fault of the borrower.

I want to set reasonable expectations and 1-2 years ago 30 days was fine. Then it was 45 now I hear scuttle butt about some of these banks being 90-120 days behind. If you know specifically what the delays are at the above banks I would appreciate the info.

On a side note I do know some lenders are still only 30 days out. I just have a hard time being the messanger to clients and saying sorry for the 4th time that we have to push closing because their financial institution is backed up.

In any case thanks in advance for the replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 05:57 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,827,395 times
I was able to close last month in about 35 days - although I pretty much had to provide dental records and a DNA sample (luckily just a buccal swab - not bodily fluid ) to the lender before all was said and done. I used a broker though - not a major bank. One of the lenders was Encore, and the other was I think US Bank - I'm not at home and don't have all the papers with me.

Old 08-18-2009, 05:58 PM

If you dont mind me asking what bank was that with?

I think now days if you dont have to sign away your first born to child labor you got out lucky

Old 08-18-2009, 06:02 PM

Here is the info for my broker - if I had to finance another home I would use her again without hesitation

Sheri Wise

National Mortgage Loan Officer
PrimeLending, A PlainsCapital Company
18111 Preston Road Ste. 900
Dallas, TX 75252
866-908-0702 fax
800-317-7463 toll free

Old 08-18-2009, 06:20 PM

Good info. Did they broker to one of the big 3?

Old 08-18-2009, 06:35 PM

I spoke with a mortgage officer from BOA where I have some accounts but they were slow in getting back to me so I moved on. I'm not sure if the big banks were in the pool my broker was looking in, we just discussed my situation and she presented several options. I was also comparing with Prospect Mortgage at the time, but they were slow in communicating and the rates were not as good. That's about all I did, shopped 2 brokers and one major bank - went with the best rate. Got a >$417K mortgage at 5.75% 30yr fixed and a second 8% bridge loan until I sell my other home and cash out my equity - yes I actually do still have some equity even in this market.

Last edited by tyanger; 08-18-2009 at 06:46 PM..

Old 08-18-2009, 09:34 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,198,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyanger View Post
Here is the info for my broker - if I had to finance another home I would use her again without hesitation

Sheri Wise
National Mortgage Loan Officer
PrimeLending, A PlainsCapital Company
18111 Preston Road Ste. 900
Dallas, TX 75252
866-908-0702 fax
800-317-7463 toll free
Prime lending is a banker and a broker. They have in-house underwriters so they can anticipate some of the objections the banks will have. They can also bend A LOT of rules since they are bankers.

RRE, You may want to repost in the mortgage forum since you will get actual answers from many good loan officers and some of them work at some of the big dogs banks like WF, Chase, etc.

The refi boom has put all the lending institutions in backlog. 60 days is typical. Unfortunatly there is no special formula to get a loan through quick. The loan officer has to be on top of his/her game and gather all the info. Of course the appraisal process with the new HVCC ruling hasn't helped a bit. I am seeing more underwriters asking for a review than ever.

I have closed a couple of loans in less than 20 days in the past 2 months and then I have closed a couple others that took almost 45 days.

Naima

Old 08-18-2009, 11:08 PM

473 posts, read 1,194,458 times
If i am lucky we should be able to close under 30 days with one of these Big 3. I am going through a mortgage broker. Waiting for the appraisal report.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:10 AM

As I got closer and closer to the closing date the requests for supporting documents came in faster and faster, sometimes seeming almost frivolous. I got the feeling that they were just testing me to see how well I had my sh*t together - not just for the actual information itself, but also how quickly I could provide it (in otherwords how organized I was before entering that stage of the home purchase). I had to provide a paper trail 2 steps back for all deposits to my checking account in excess of $1000 or so for the 3 months prior to closing. Kinda BS, but what can you do?

Old 08-20-2009, 10:32 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,692,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyanger View Post
I spoke with a mortgage officer from BOA where I have some accounts but they were slow in getting back to me so I moved on. I'm not sure if the big banks were in the pool my broker was looking in, we just discussed my situation and she presented several options. I was also comparing with Prospect Mortgage at the time, but they were slow in communicating and the rates were not as good. That's about all I did, shopped 2 brokers and one major bank - went with the best rate. Got a >$417K mortgage at 5.75% 30yr fixed and a second 8% bridge loan until I sell my other home and cash out my equity - yes I actually do still have some equity even in this market.
Did you just refi? We are in the process of a refi since we have finished our construction project so we can roll the construction loan in w/ the mortgage. Same numbers $417K (how ironic is that, lol). I was quoted yesterday: 10 year fixed 4.25%, 15 year fixed 4.5%. We are currently at a 15 year fixed 4.75%.

We also have equity.

We have a mortgage broker we have used for 16 years. Our current mortgage was sold to Chase right after we closed on it. We refi'd last spring when the rates dropped and got the 15 year vs the 20 year we had. No problems at all getting to closing. Everything closed on time. Will see how this current one goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas