U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2009, 09:26 PM

548 posts, read 1,321,863 times

Advertisements

At our previous house we used Brinks for home security as my husband was away from home for 7-8 months at a time. We are considering whether or not to get a home security system for our new home here. My husband will be travelling, but not nearly as much and for as long (thank goodness!). A friend of mine told me that the police in Plano have responded to so many false alarms that they no longer come out to a house when the alarm company calls them or if they do respond, they arrive 25 minutes later. Hmmm...

Are their any companies you recommend? How much do they charge per month? Have you heard of such a case where the police did not respond to an alarm?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 09:42 PM

14,874 posts, read 37,114,401 times
We use Smith Thompson, locally owned and they have been very reliable. I know of NO incident where an alarm went off at a residence and the police did not respond. The City of Dallas did do something about all of the false alarms at business locations. I'm thinking it got thrown out though recently???? They said they would not send a patrol by unless it was verified that there was indeed a need and it was not a false alarm. They expected the business owner or representative or the alarm company to verify the alarm first to make sure it was not a false alarm.

I'm in Garland and when we have called the police have been here in less than 2-3 minutes. When our alarm has gone off it usually is a false alarm and the alarm company will call and we verify with them that it was a false alarm and they don't call the police. Can't think of an instance that we had a false alarm that the police came out at all except at our businesses. We now have video cameras and I can pull it up on my computer at home before I tell the rep from Smith Thompson to call the police or not. If I don't see anything and it was just an interior alarm and nothing else is going off we assume it was a false alarm and they don't call the police. I'll still watch the cameras for a good while just to make sure and if I did see anything I'd just call the police myself. Never had to though.

I like having the alarm for peace of mind.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:55 AM

9,797 posts, read 20,377,763 times
I use ADT and have been very happy. They also call my cell phone before the police are dispatched. We have an alarm permit from the City of Grapevine and I am allowed 2 false alarms a year before I am charged a fee from th city.

Old 08-19-2009, 07:11 AM

563 posts, read 3,435,239 times
We use Guardian and have been very UNhappy. It takes them forever to call us when the alarm goes off and there have been times when they do not call at all. We are stuck in a 3 year contract (yup we were idiots) and I do not recommend them
We used ADT in a different state and they were excellent. Customer service was pretty bad when billing issues came up but security service was excellent.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:40 PM

5,010 posts, read 13,126,948 times
Get a shotgun and a Rottweiler. Be far more effective.

However, barring that, ADT was excellent when I had them.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:11 PM

548 posts, read 1,321,863 times
Thank you all for the replies. I have been thinking about not having a security system to cut back our expenses, but peace of mind is an important thing. I have 2 dogs (Shiba Inus) and a pellet gun. I don't think either of those is effective at all.

Bummer about Guardian. I'll be looking into ADT, Brinks, and Smith Thompson.

Old 02-19-2010, 02:32 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,055,842 times
We use Brinks/ Broadview and have been happy with them. We had our alarm go off twice when we lived in Plano, and both times the police showed up within minutes. Just be sure you have an alarm permit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas