Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2010, 11:00 AM

459 posts, read 1,744,533 times

Advertisements

I was just curious..

I am considering taking the DART to and from college a few days this semester, as I would much prefer some extra reading/study/looking over notes time during my commute, something I can't do obviously while driving :-)

I'd be getting onto the DART at Galatyn Station and riding to Mockingbird, and taking the Mustang Express onto campus. And then I would do the reverse coming home.

My biggest problem in trying to plan is I just don't know how long the DART takes to make this distance. I don't know how long I will be on the rail to get to my destination. I would be needing to be at school for classes at 9 AM on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and 10 AM courses on Tuesday, Thursday. I would be coming home at 12 PM on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and at 3:30 PM on Tuesday, Thursday.

Or is this a horrible idea altogether?? I don't care if it takes a bit longer, I just don't want to wind up on campus extra early or end up being late because I didn't anticipate the times correctly.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 11:10 AM

2,002 posts, read 4,584,247 times
the dart website should say how long it takes

Old 08-17-2010, 11:16 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
Yes, the DART website does give approx times for the rail service. I would think doing the DART rail would be easy and a good way to go as you could go over notes before a test just to refresh yourself and such on the way down vs having to put up w/ rush hour traffic. DART is going to be a bit more reliable time wise than having to judge the traffic issues.

Old 08-17-2010, 03:09 PM

554 posts, read 1,196,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargirl007 View Post
I was just curious..

I am considering taking the DART to and from college a few days this semester, as I would much prefer some extra reading/study/looking over notes time during my commute, something I can't do obviously while driving :-)

I'd be getting onto the DART at Galatyn Station and riding to Mockingbird, and taking the Mustang Express onto campus. And then I would do the reverse coming home.

My biggest problem in trying to plan is I just don't know how long the DART takes to make this distance. I don't know how long I will be on the rail to get to my destination. I would be needing to be at school for classes at 9 AM on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and 10 AM courses on Tuesday, Thursday. I would be coming home at 12 PM on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and at 3:30 PM on Tuesday, Thursday.

Or is this a horrible idea altogether?? I don't care if it takes a bit longer, I just don't want to wind up on campus extra early or end up being late because I didn't anticipate the times correctly.

Thank you
I have a current train schedule in my car, let me go get it.

Okay. This schedule should be valid through the end of this year. Be on the lookout for possible changes on December 6th when the Green Line goes full service. In the back of the schedule it has a handy time table of all the lines and the duration to and from each station. Galatyn Park Station to Mockingbird Station is a 21 minute ride.

Now for your schedule:
Southbound Red Line: MWF classes start at 9:00am. A train leaves Galatyn Station at 7:38am,7:48am,7:58am,8:12am,8:18am and 8:33am.
T/H classes start at 10:00am. A train leaves Galatyn Station at 8:53am,9:07am,9:13 and 9:33am.
Northbound Red Line: MWF a train leaves Mockingbird Station at 12:04pm,12:24pm,12:44pm
T/H a train leaves Mockingbird Station at 3:45pm,4:01pm,4:11pm

All of these times are relevant to your schedule and allow you enough time to go back and forth between Mockingbird Station and SMU. Hope this helps.

Last edited by TowerGuy; 08-17-2010 at 03:25 PM..

Old 08-17-2010, 03:31 PM

190 posts, read 430,478 times
i'd say its a great idea! much less stressful and will allow you to get things done on the train. also, it really is true that the DART's schedule will be more reliable than trying to gauge traffic on a day-to-day basis. the trains are always on time, so just make sure you are too!

Old 08-18-2010, 02:40 PM

326 posts, read 962,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWgal View Post
the dart website should say how long it takes
Google Maps (which has a transit feature for DFW) should also be able to tell you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas