Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 10:08 PM

8 posts, read 24,850 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone.

I've recently got a job at Fort Worth and I'll be moving within one month.
I know it makes sense to live close to where you work but I would really like to live in Dallas uptown area. I figurered a compromise might be live in Dallas design district since it seems closer to highway.

So my question is if I leave from dallas downtown area on I-30 westbound around anytime between 5:45 to 6:15 will the traffic be crazy?

And does anyone heard anything about Alta Design District or Alexan Design District? I've been trying to look for apt reviews but since they are so new, I havn't found anything yet so far. Or even Trinity Loft..

Thanks in advance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 05:19 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sangl View Post
Hello everyone.

I've recently got a job at Fort Worth and I'll be moving within one month.
I know it makes sense to live close to where you work but I would really like to live in Dallas uptown area. I figurered a compromise might be live in Dallas design district since it seems closer to highway.

So my question is if I leave from dallas downtown area on I-30 westbound around anytime between 5:45 to 6:15 will the traffic be crazy?

And does anyone heard anything about Alta Design District or Alexan Design District? I've been trying to look for apt reviews but since they are so new, I havn't found anything yet so far. Or even Trinity Loft..

Thanks in advance!!!
Well look at it this way, after you get past DFW you will be going against the traffic and you are traveling very early in the morning. Still, how about, at least considering some of the trendy areas of Fort Worth? I have read there are some pretty cool areas. If I were you I would live in an extended hotel situation for a week or two, then spend a weekend looking both in FT Worth and Dallas.

Nita

Old 08-31-2009, 06:03 AM

thanx for the info!

Old 08-31-2009, 06:12 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,169,500 times
Westbound I-30 in the mornings and eastbound I-30 in the evenings are usually a breeze because you're going against traffic. Unless there's an accident or there's ice, the commute's not a problem. The bigger concern with driving 60 miles (30 each way) a day is gas (if prices spike again) and wear and tear on your car.

Old 08-31-2009, 06:40 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
I-30 is not that free flowing with the construction going on due to Cowboy Stadium 2
and there is plenty of traffic on it going west or east because there are plenty of people who do the exact thing except they probably start/stop in Grand Prairie or Irving vs going all the way through to Dallas

is it possible for you to use the TRE and take the train from downtown Dallas to dowtown/Sundance Sq FTW

Old 08-31-2009, 11:46 AM

thanx everyone for the information...
i love the sound of living uptown/downtown dallas, but maybe i should consider fort worth as well for the time being...

Old 08-31-2009, 01:53 PM

326 posts, read 961,972 times
You could take the TRE (Trinity Railway Express (TRE)) which travels between Dallas and Fort Worth in 1 hour. You'd want to live near Union Station, Victory Station or a DART station to be convenient to the rail.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:30 PM

332 posts, read 1,386,369 times
Truedat is correct, once you hit I30 there is no traffic heading to FW, In the evening it isn't bad until the I30 - I35 split and that is only for a few minutes. I make the trip every day in about 30 minutes either way.

On icy days I'll take the TRE, but it takes twice as long as driving.

Old 08-31-2009, 04:02 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,169,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I-30 is not that free flowing with the construction going on due to Cowboy Stadium 2
and there is plenty of traffic on it going west or east because there are plenty of people who do the exact thing except they probably start/stop in Grand Prairie or Irving vs going all the way through to Dallas

is it possible for you to use the TRE and take the train from downtown Dallas to dowtown/Sundance Sq FTW

There's rarely any traffic stoppage any more due to stadium construction. Even the evening of the McCartney concert/Rangers game when everyone was expecting gridlock, it wasn't that bad. I flew through there without a problem.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:01 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Look at downtown Fort Worth. There are LOTS of loft apartments, and you'll find the Sundance Square area is very similar to what you'll find in Dallas. There is NO reason to make a 30-mile daily commute!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas