U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 04:57 PM

2,241 posts, read 6,565,700 times

Advertisements

>>I recommended Mi Cocina more as the best place to see her future HP neighbors & get a feel for the HP social scene <<

Good point, Mi Cocina is walkable to many that live in that area. The same would go for the Mi Cocina (Preston & Forest) for the Preston Hollow social scene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 03:35 PM

22 posts, read 33,896 times
Mi Cocina in HP Village is where you want to go if you want to see the stereotype HP UP social scene. The other, equally accurate side can be seen at our favorite, Rafa's on Lover's Lane. Lots of families, laid back with great service, food and atmosphere. Come as you are.

Old 09-22-2009, 05:24 PM

38 posts, read 54,353 times
Thanks, jm. We'll try both spots.

So far we've got a three day itinerary - all thanks to you great Texans!

We'll plan to come for four days for our first trip and concentrate mostly on UP/HP and then SL. I'd like to drive up to West Plano to see if it's something we'd like to consider.

Our plan is a few extended weekends in the area, then we'll choose where to rent initially. Buying a home is such a major undertaking we will want to take our time. It will be interesting to see if the market is still soft in 6 months to a year.

Funny how complex relocating is when you have a child. Gone are the days of the quick move and not paying much attention to school district zoning. LOL!

Sad we'll miss the State Fair this year. But we are looking forward to that and the Cowboys next year. Woot!

Old 09-22-2009, 09:48 PM

14,648 posts, read 27,949,306 times
there are some people who would say the market is not really soft now in some areas--slow maybe--but not soft--most counties show that prices have not slipped like they have in some areas like FL, Phoenix, and Vegas...

Old 09-22-2009, 10:32 PM

8,365 posts, read 11,439,959 times
The market is softer than it has been in the past 20 years, even in the Park Cities. I wouldn't say values have fallen with the exception of the many (last count was over 50) spec homes north of Lovers Land on the market for $2.5M+. I know a Park Cities power broker who is having her best success when the owners will agree to list for $100,000 below "market" on the high end homes, ie, $2.4 vs $2.5M.

In the $1M range, homes are moving steadily.

There are definitely bargains to be had, especially with estates. A friend just paid $1.6M (in cash) for a HP home that originally listed last spring for $2.3. It is a great house- amazing location- but the deceased owner's out if state children just slashed the price to get the cash deal done vs waiting for someone's appraisal & mortgage to work out.

Old 09-23-2009, 01:38 PM

Oh, if we can only get a deal like that! Very anxious to put firm dates in our move so I can begin seriously house shopping. Love the architecture in Dallas and the all brick/all stone exteriors. Gorgeous homes.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:25 PM

2,185 posts, read 1,753,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourtoesshowing View Post
Oh, if we can only get a deal like that! Very anxious to put firm dates in our move so I can begin seriously house shopping. Love the architecture in Dallas and the all brick/all stone exteriors. Gorgeous homes.

do you have your house sold that you are living in now?

Old 09-23-2009, 02:47 PM

We're going to hold onto it for a few more years. It's a condo in a really great area. I'm hoping we can lease it as executive housing, but my husband thinks being a property manager be more of a hassle than it's worth. I'm still trying to sway him.

Honestly, I'd rather stay at a hotel when we come back to visit. Otherwise (as the woman) I'll feel compelled to clean, make changes, do things around the house etc.

Turning it into rental property offsets some of our expenses, frees us to stay where we'd like when we visit and provides a new revenue stream.

The only reason (other than the current market) for holding on to it is that we still have aging family here and a solid client base. We'll still be coming up here periodically for visits and it's located between the burbs and the city. Family is out in the deep suburbs...clients are in the mid-city area. It's convenient.... but then again, so is the Doubletree. Plus, that hotel comes with housekeeping

Old 12-16-2009, 04:17 PM

Hey, y'all! We came down for a visit last week. We LOVE Dallas! We stayed at the Park Cities Hilton for the week and weekend. Your tips and itineraries were fantastic. A few things we adored:

Beverly Drive.... words cannot express how beautiful this was at night for seeing holiday decorations. It was magnificent.

We also loved Goar Park and the surrounding multi-million dollar properties. What a fantastic area, steeped in history and tradition. I can see why people clamor to live in the area. It was just beautiful.

Breadwinners rocks! We ate breakfast at several of them. I cannot wait to live nearby my fave location!

Southlake: it was simply too far of a drive and too removed from "the scene" for us. Being near business districts is very important to us, so that area is off the list.

While we absolutley love the Park Cities, I think we felt most at home in Plano. We particularly liked the areas west of Preston. It was very established and we really liked the style of architecture in the area.

Interestingly, so many transplants on this board complain that Dallas isn't pretty. We felt quite the opposite. We thought it was a beautiful city with lots of greenery and pretty sights. I can see how someone comparing it to Southern California would compain - but that's an unfair comparison. We were really taken by the scenery and the friendliness of everyone we met.

Your tips were SO helpful. We particlarly enjoyed the Highland Park scenic drive and all of the tips for dining. We ate all over town... Bailey's Prime, Mi Cocina etc. Great food, great service.

No we just need to nail down our price range and start looking for a home.

Thank you so much to all of you who chimed in! Looking forward to moving to the big D!

Old 12-16-2009, 04:24 PM
Status: "The man likes to play chess; let's get him some rocks. Red" (set 9 days ago)

3,973 posts, read 9,425,131 times
Wow, glad to hear you had a good time... thanks for the update.

Naima
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas