Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2009, 10:44 PM

4 posts, read 14,518 times

Advertisements

After scamming through pages of apartment ratings for various apartment complexes in Dallas, I've noticed alot of reviews complaining about thefts and burglaries, as well as a problems with roaches and rodents. I mean, I'm from Chicago, so I'd be lying if I said I'd never seen a roach or a mouse, but is this really a big deal in Dallas?? And is car theft really that common??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 10:53 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
Well, we do have flying cockroaches in Dallas- something I've never seen in any other part of the US. Pest problems can be an issue in some complexes.

I would say car burglaries (not theft, just break-ins) are probably the #1 crime problem in Dallas. They have been particularly common in some of the very nice/ new/ expensive complexes in Uptown- Gables Villa Rosa, Marquis on Cedar Springs, and the Ashton are all complexes/ buildings where I know people who have been victims of car break-ins.

In general, by following the take/lock/hide rules with your car (ie, don't leave your door unlocked even for a 2 min trip into 7-11, don't leave your gas credit card, wallet, or IPOD in the car overnight, etc), you can prevent the temptation to break-in to your car.

These crimes are fairly common all over Dallas, even in Highland Park and te nicer neighborhoods, too.

Actual vehicle thefts seem to be most common in west Dallas, southeast Dallas, and far east Dallas (like Ferguson & Buckner area).

Old 12-31-2009, 12:09 AM

190 posts, read 430,428 times
car break ins are a pretty significant problem. definitely take valuables out of the car at night! unfortunately you may wake up to a broken window. we have monster roaches but i dont' think that big of a rodent problem at all?

Old 12-31-2009, 05:08 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
One of the biggest reasons my husband and I moved out of Dallas was the vehicle break-ins. Both of our vehicles were broken into in front of our house. We only had a one car garage, so we couldn't park both of them inside. We don't leave any valuables in our vehicles. The factory radio was taken out of his car, and all they took out of my truck was the insurance card! Since we moved to the suburbs, this has not occurred again, and we still had a 1-car garage for 7 years...

Yes, roaches are usually a problem in apartments. The buildings are oftennot well-constructed so they can get in from outside, and then there will always be tenants who are dirty and don't clean their dwelling, which also attracts roaches.

Old 12-31-2009, 06:49 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,342,183 times
That said though, some apt homes offer free pest control as part of the lease agreement, and that's certainly helped my and my better half.

Old 12-31-2009, 03:39 PM

121 posts, read 448,604 times
ROACHES??? So, if I walked outside, I may run into a roach??

Old 12-31-2009, 04:08 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
No, if you walk outside you will not run into one. I have not seen the flying variety in Dallas but have in Houston, parts of Florida and South Carolina. And they are much larger varities there as well. YUCK!!! I personally have not seen one in a few years. Apartments are bad because of other people and the constant moving of the tenants. Bugs like cardboard boxes and people moving in and out constantly and keeping things in boxes does attract them and gives them a home. Just spray before you move in. Get rid of the boxes and don't keep things in storage too long and spray that as well.

As far as car break-ins. Even in the burbs they do have rashes of them. There have been a few in our very nice upscale neigbhorhood this year but every single one of them had left valuables clearly visible. I mean, golf bags and clubs . One was a neighbor directly behind us that had left his golf bag in the back of their SUV. Their vehicle was broken into while our higher end SUV right behind it in the drive was not touched. Because they probably looked in it w/ a light and saw nothing. If someone broke into our vehicles they might get 1 CD and some pennies along w/ a box of Kleenex. LOL!!! One neighbor had TWO broke into one night and they were both their kids cars and had left their golf clubs (2 sets), wallets , ipods and other things clearly visible in it. Just be smart and you can avoid it most of the time. Apartments are worse than single family home neighborhoods.

Old 12-31-2009, 04:40 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,462,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettingaway View Post
ROACHES??? So, if I walked outside, I may run into a roach??
Oh, no. When it gets cold these "tree roaches" will come to you, inside the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas