U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 12:40 PM

18 posts, read 31,690 times

Advertisements

My husband has started a job in Garland TX. As soon as I can sell our house (fingers crossed - please soon!! ) I will join him.

Our children will not make the move as one has graduated from college and the other is a junior.

We are in our early 50's. I am looking for an area that is friendly, with walking trails and community events. We are leaving a very quiet area and I am ready for more of a social life. I'm ready to attend festivals and join clubs. I would love an area that has activities. Am I making sense? Asking for too much? Quiet but not too quiet.

I know anywhere around Dallas will provide us with easy access to shopping etc.

Any ideas? Homes priced under 450,000.

Thank you so much!
Ready to make the move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 12:54 PM

14,874 posts, read 23,887,208 times
Stay in Garland, easy commute for your husband, great community involvement as well. You can find homes in your price range no problem in Garland in the Firewheel area. Look on realtor.com in the 75044 zipcode. There is a golf course, nearby new outdoor shopping center, lots of restaurants and shops, walking trails, parks, etc. As a matter of fact my aunt & uncle just sold their house in Firewheel. They have lived in Plano (4 different houses), Carrollton, Far North Dallas and several areas of Florida. This was the ONLY time they actually had instant friends in their neighbors around them. They greeted them when they moved in and got together often for dinner, drinks, cards, golf, etc. My uncle had 3-4 guys that lived on their street that he played golf w/ twice a week. Even living on a golf course in the Prestonwood area of Plano they didn't have this kind of interaction. They did say this was the one thing that really was putting a damper on them moving (why they did AGAIN this time is beyond me and now they are seeing it as foolish). There is a LifeTime Fitness in the area that stays PACKED w/ all kinds of activities if your into that. The golf courses in the area are very nice. Believe it or not the local restaurants bars are PACKED in the late evening hours around here even on weeknights. People in this area do like to mingle and meet others. You won't have a problem having a social life in this area. It will be more of learning to say "no" just because you can't do it all . The area HOA's are very active as well with all kinds of activities for all age groups. I'd say the area is pretty evenly split between families w/ school-aged kids to early retirees. My relatives were in their mid-60's and said they finally felt they had found a place that wasn't full of "old crotchety" people but rather a lot of very active outgoing people no matter what age they were.

FYI, there are a few new developments in this area w/ brand new homes but the rest are existing. Homes in these areas don't go on the market often as it is more of a "settled" area so you don't see a lot of the "transient" relocation families constantly moving in and out. When my parents were looking to move into the area they looked for about 8 months at every house that came up on the market as they don't often. However, their budget was a little less than yours and the brand new homes being built are closer to your price range.

If you have any questions about the area, feel free to ask.

Old 09-01-2009, 01:12 PM

50,031 posts, read 42,397,444 times
What is your housing budget? Garland has some nice areas, some older well kept neighborhoods, but there are many other areas close to Garland that you may want to consider. Your budget will probably determine that.

Good luck with the sale of your home, I know that can be a pain.

Nita

Old 09-01-2009, 01:14 PM

Well, I'm thinking 225,000 to 400,000.

Hey, if someone would love a beautiful home in the NE GA mountains send them my way. Perfect getaway from the hot summers! Actually we get alot of FL people who summer here.

Thank you for any help.
It's frustrating to not be there. But you do what you need to do!

Old 09-01-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtee1958 View Post
Well, I'm thinking 225,000 to 400,000.

Hey, if someone would love a beautiful home in the NE GA mountains send them my way. Perfect getaway from the hot summers! Actually we get alot of FL people who summer here.

Thank you for any help.
It's frustrating to not be there. But you do what you need to do!
Your budget is within reason to find a very nice home in the Firewheel area of Garland that is close to shopping, Hwy 190 (aka George Bush Turnpike), dining, golf course, etc. You can find brand new homes to existing homes in your price range. There is no need to go "outside" of the city your husband is working in to find what your looking for. Stay close and he can join you for lunch and he won't have to deal w/ hardly any traffic at all .

You can look up homes in the area on Real Estate Listings, Homes for Sale and Rental Property Listings – REALTOR.com® and use zipcode 75044. Also visit Google Earth to get a good idea of the area. Plenty of open spaces (moreso than other areas of the Dallas metroplex and being your coming from that area of Georgia you might prefer this ) yet still close to everything.

The two new neighborhoods that are in the area are The Provence at Firewheel and Irongate. Irongate is actually "zero lot line" homes that have very small yards. Some people have put in a pool but then they have no grass at all. You can get a golf course lot in Irongate but not Provence. There are other areas in Firewheel that a golf course lot is possible if that is what your looking at. Some of the neighborhoods are: Fairways at Firewheel, The Hills of Breckinridge, The Retreat, The Hills at Firewheel, Firewheel Farms, The Greens, Firewheel Estates.

Old 09-01-2009, 01:37 PM

Thank you all so much -- it's fun (and frustrating) to hear all about the areas.

I assume these cities also have nice senior centers? My 87 year old parents may be joining us. They are very mobile - love to walk, play bridge..... I am fortunate that my parents are still very healthy and mentally "there". In fact they just celebrated their 63rd wedding anniversary!

Old 09-01-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Thank you all so much -- it's fun (and frustrating) to hear all about the areas.

I assume these cities also have nice senior centers? My 87 year old parents may be joining us. They are very mobile - love to walk, play bridge..... I am fortunate that my parents are still very healthy and mentally "there". In fact they just celebrated their 63rd wedding anniversary!
Yes, the City of Garland has a VERY ACTIVE Senior Citizen Activity Center. And they will even come to your door to pick you up. It comes thru my neighborhood about 2-3 times a week for someone. They have all kinds of activities from just hanging out playing cards and socializing to dances and even bus trips to other areas. It is one of the best in the entire Dallas area as far as I'm concerned. I'm not a senior but I have not seen anything like this in any other area. They are very active.

Senior Services - City of Garland (http://www.ci.garland.tx.us/Home/Departments/Recreation+and+Cultural+Services/Parks+and+Recreation/R02-Senior+Activity+Landing.htm - broken link)

Old 09-01-2009, 02:07 PM

50,031 posts, read 42,397,444 times
Quote:

Of all the places we have lived, Texas overall has the best senior centers I think.

Nita

Old 09-01-2009, 10:51 PM

162 posts, read 397,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Yes, the City of Garland has a VERY ACTIVE Senior Citizen Activity Center. And they will even come to your door to pick you up. It comes thru my neighborhood about 2-3 times a week for someone. They have all kinds of activities from just hanging out playing cards and socializing to dances and even bus trips to other areas. It is one of the best in the entire Dallas area as far as I'm concerned. I'm not a senior but I have not seen anything like this in any other area. They are very active.
Agree, Garland seniors are very active and involved. There are many opportunities for socializing.

Old 09-06-2009, 04:34 PM

54 posts, read 125,782 times
Rockwall is a very nice small lake side community with a lot of ways to be active and involved. Not far at all from Garland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas