Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 06:59 PM

3,463 posts, read 7,305,283 times

Advertisements

Smoke from the CA wildfires reached Denver 3 days ago. Colorado's hazy skies courtesy of California wildfires - The Denver Post

Also, the weatherman on a local Dallas television station said the haze was from the California fires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
How come I don't have any where I live? I would be able to see it better, I would think, than in the city where it's already polluted and where the sky isn't blue all the time like it is where I am. The smell of smoke...really? I'm not saying it isn't so, but I find that very hard to believe.

I've searched and searched and I just can't find anything that says that is happening. Can anyone provide a link? I'm very curious as I have friends near the fires and I want to let them know if the smoke, in fact, is traveling this far east. Thanks.
You have it! It can be seen in the suburbs of Dallas as well as far away from DFW. Can't you smell the acid smokey air and see the yellowish-brown haze? Look at the sunset. Even the moon is yellowish instead of the clear blue-white color it normally is.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:16 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
How come I don't have any where I live? I would be able to see it better, I would think, than in the city where it's already polluted and where the sky isn't blue all the time like it is where I am. The smell of smoke...really? I'm not saying it isn't so, but I find that very hard to believe.

I've searched and searched and I just can't find anything that says that is happening. Can anyone provide a link? I'm very curious as I have friends near the fires and I want to let them know if the smoke, in fact, is traveling this far east. Thanks.

Yes, it is real. I can smell it outside this evening. It just has that smokey smell. Don't you remember several years ago when the fires were raging in Mexico the wind carried it this way. What is going on is the jet stream is pushing the wind this way. It does travel that far.

I'm sure if you went to the Ch 8 WFAA website you'd see what we have been hearing on the news. And yes, we can see it here in the "big scary city". You might not be in the path of the jet stream and it might not effect you as much as your much further south than the DFW metroplex. A 100 miles can make a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootr View Post
Smoke from the CA wildfires reached Denver 3 days ago. Colorado's hazy skies courtesy of California wildfires - The Denver Post

Also, the weatherman on a local Dallas television station said the haze was from the California fires.
Yep, I can notice it and I heard it last night as well.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:28 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,275,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Yes, it is real. I can smell it outside this evening. It just has that smokey smell. Don't you remember several years ago when the fires were raging in Mexico the wind carried it this way. What is going on is the jet stream is pushing the wind this way. It does travel that far.

I'm sure if you went to the Ch 8 WFAA website you'd see what we have been hearing on the news. And yes, we can see it here in the "big scary city". You might not be in the path of the jet stream and it might not effect you as much as your much further south than the DFW metroplex. A 100 miles can make a difference.

Yep, I can notice it and I heard it last night as well.
That is so funny. CO it's proven; Dallas it is said by a newsman. I did look on the WFAA web site. I can't find anything.

There is nothing scary about the big city; it's just unappealing to me...been there, done that...but I know many must live in the city for employment. It's a choice like everything else.

Yes, I do remember the smoke from the Mexico fires. Were those as far away from us as California's fires? CA is 1,500 miles...that's quite a distance. I suppose it's possible but until I see a link, I just don't believe it. The smoky smell could be from the smoky air in Dallas.

I'm not 100 miles south of Dallas, only 3/4 of that at best.

Cute spelling by the way...smokey...as in Smokey The Bear...better than a state police car anyway. I loved him when I was a child. I can still sing the fire song.

Last edited by Canine*Castle; 09-02-2009 at 08:57 PM..

Old 09-02-2009, 08:35 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,275,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootr View Post
You have it! It can be seen in the suburbs of Dallas as well as far away from DFW. Can't you smell the acid smokey air and see the yellowish-brown haze? Look at the sunset. Even the moon is yellowish instead of the clear blue-white color it normally is.
No, it doesn't look any different to me than any other hazy summer night when the air is humid.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:11 PM

"I work here at the Raton, NM Port of Entry here at the Raton Pass and there is a visible haze (http://blogs.discovery.com/earth/2009/09/c.html - broken link)." - Posted by: P. Matrinez | September 02, 2009 at 03:26 PM

DODGE CITY, Kansas -- It's not just California residents who are seeing smoke filled skies from those raging fires just north of Los Angeles. That smoke has drifted 1,200 miles all the way to Western Kansas.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:20 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
Well, I'm sorry, but the newcasters here in Dallas did indeed report that the haze was attributed to the fires in California. Sorry you missed it.

Your a trip. Maybe 75 miles away from Dallas where YOU are it is humid as there is rain off to the west. 75 miles can and does make a HUGE difference. Right here on my side of Dallas it is not humid and hasn't been all day at all. It has been just downright pleasant and it was almost a bit chilly this morning. Yes, I can indeed smell "smoke". Smoke is a COMPLETELY different smell than "pollution". I know the difference I don't live anywhere near where they would be burning anything or a plant that puts off such. Most of the pollution in the Dallas Metroplex comes from cars and the cement plants down in Midlothian. Neither of those put off the smell of a fire. No forest fires much less a house fire anywhere nearby either.

Yes Kootr, there IS a visible haze that has nothing to do w/ humidity here IN Dallas. It is a very distinct haze that is not the type that is visible from common pollution in this area. It is much like the haze that was around back when the fires in Mexico were going a few years ago. Our friend is not IN Dallas and in fact a good distance away so it would not be as familiar with her as it would be to those of us that are more apt to notice the difference.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:23 PM

"Stronger winds high overhead will continue to carry smoke from the ridges to distant locations as far away as (http://www.accuweather.com/regional-news-story.asp?region=westusnews - broken link)Las Vegas, part of the Rockies and the Great Plains".

Old 09-02-2009, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Well, I'm sorry, but the newcasters here in Dallas did indeed report that the haze was attributed to the fires in California. Sorry you missed it.

Your a trip. Maybe 75 miles away from Dallas where YOU are it is humid as there is rain off to the west. 75 miles can and does make a HUGE difference. Right here on my side of Dallas it is not humid and hasn't been all day at all. It has been just downright pleasant and it was almost a bit chilly this morning. Yes, I can indeed smell "smoke". Smoke is a COMPLETELY different smell than "pollution". I know the difference I don't live anywhere near where they would be burning anything or a plant that puts off such. Most of the pollution in the Dallas Metroplex comes from cars and the cement plants down in Midlothian. Neither of those put off the smell of a fire. No forest fires much less a house fire anywhere nearby either.

Yes Kootr, there IS a visible haze that has nothing to do w/ humidity here IN Dallas. It is a very distinct haze that is not the type that is visible from common pollution in this area. It is much like the haze that was around back when the fires in Mexico were going a few years ago. Our friend is not IN Dallas and in fact a good distance away so it would not be as familiar with her as it would be to those of us that are more apt to notice the difference.
Maybe she needs a new pair of spectacles and a better sniffer...

Old 09-02-2009, 09:53 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,013,387 times
I don't see or smell anything but since yesterday my eyes have been very irritated, so something must be in the air here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas