Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 04:37 PM

14 posts, read 41,412 times

Advertisements

Okay, I have a very nicely appointed, relatively new home (3yrs old) on the market now for almost 6 months and I've had O-N-E inquiry on it... ONE! The home is located in a nice neighborhood in Red Oak (Harmony), the home is nice looking on the outside and in (not that anyone would know... because NOONE WANTS TO SEE IT on the INSIDE! ). Details, approx. 3100 sq. ft. at $ 224k, 4 bed + study, gameroom, granite countertop kitchen, built by Newmark homes in dec. 2007......so what gives? any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 05:16 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,236,316 times
A simple answer... You are competing with the new construction. My office has 7 listings in your community. A couple of them sold in less than a month, the others are still on the market but less than 3 months.

Your pictures look great. You're priced competitively, some might think that you're overpriced because the home is still 3 years old.

I would suggest that you list the upgrades you have and features you have that the builder doesn't have in their specs.

Naima

Old 09-10-2009, 05:27 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,772,595 times
1 inquiry in 6 months? You agent isn't marketing. That has nothing to do with being in a neighborhood with new construction because people would still come look at the house just to compare. Can you find our house when you search online? If you can't, neither can other buyers.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:07 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,752,057 times
you bought at top of the market
the market has fallen
you will be hard pressed to make money and sell lower than builder's price
agree your agent is waiting for people to come to her vs trying to market the house--if others have sold yours is probably priced higher -- maybe too high
this is just a slow market

Old 09-11-2009, 09:13 AM

14 posts, read 41,412 times
So what do I do? I think that an open house would be useful (realtor doesn't think so)? Do I switch realtors when contract is up (less than 30 days)? Should I lower my price to the point where there is NO room (or very little --i.e. a couple thousand only) for negotiation? My husband is commuting quite a bit north and we would really like to move soon.... thought we'd be out of here by now I am even offering a $3k bonus to buyer's agent for full price offer and $1500 if lower than full price and still NOTHING's coming thru........

Last edited by laredodallasgirl; 09-11-2009 at 10:23 AM..

Old 09-11-2009, 10:29 AM

1,377 posts, read 4,207,279 times
The country's in a recession right now, you think the market might be down? Just a thought.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:33 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,812,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
The country's in a recession right now, you think the market might be down? Just a thought.
Along w/ Location, location, location. The Dallas market isn't that bad and neither are the closer in suburbs. The areas that are hurting around here are the far flung burbs that overbuilt. This location is too far from many people that work in the city centers core or other high employment areas. A lot of people moving into the area want to be closer in as they are tired of the long commutes, closer to public transit as an option and other variables that make the far flung locales unappealing. House could be dang near perfect and it still isn't going to matter if they don't want to make that daily drive.

Old 09-11-2009, 11:24 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,743,646 times
My friend and RE agent told me that open houses are mostly for the agent to get new clients, people who are "just looking" and don't have an agent yet. However, real buyers can also come in - a friend of mine got her buyer at an open house on the last week of her 6-mo. contract w/her agent. "Rarely" is not "never"!

I do think you need another agent and maybe a different company as her broker should have been prodding her to do more. ONe way I used before was to drive around my neighborhood and see who had "sold" signs on the for sale signs and note the company/agent. More than a few means that's a successful agent.

Although as noted, it's a tough time now and I don't know anything about where you are located.

Old 09-11-2009, 11:37 AM

40,939 posts, read 49,083,749 times
Open houses are not effective anymore with the internet (and not very safe either). A predicament you have is that area was selling to a lot of 1st time buyers and it's impossible for many of them to get a loan today with marginal credit.

A major, major, major factor is the builders if they are still in your area.. Many have lowered their prices and have all kinds of incentives to buy their homes. They are dumping inventory into cash and also trying to just keep some activity going.

Many are building cheaper homes or lowered their pricing 15-20%. I'll bet someone can go buy your exact home (or similar) cheaper than you can sale yours.

You do need to have your price at the bottom. There are a lot of homes to choose from and not as many buyers out there right now.

Old 09-11-2009, 12:58 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,872,013 times
3 year old home is hard to sell for many reasons.... but top is as other have said the builder is still building BRAND new houses.
even its a little more someone is going to want NEW over 2-5 years old. Unless as Rankin states you price yours at the bottom. (and at only 3 years you probably can't even re-coup closing cost etc...)

Pre-existing homes sell better once the area is built out and the builders aren't there anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas