Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 12:30 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
Mom,

I was up at Miller Elem in Richardson on election day a few years ago. One poor lady lived in Garland, voted in Richardson for Plano ISD. If she hadn't been so frustrated finding the school I'm sure she'd have found it amusing.
I can imagine. It is funny. We did look at a property that was in practically that same situation several years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W James III View Post
Talk about getting it up the back side in taxes….
Except........... if you go protest your taxes in one jurisdiction and they lower them then the other taxing county has to as well. It can work in your favor. You'd still pay the same amount in the end just to two different counties and such. One that I know of is split w/ 45% to the taxing entities in one county and 55% to the other taxing entities in the other county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 10:53 AM

1 posts, read 2,352 times
I live in Carrollton and every year I pay taxes for both Dallas and Denton...it really does not seem right.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:10 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,614,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeysMommy2008 View Post
I live in Carrollton and every year I pay taxes for both Dallas and Denton...it really does not seem right.
As long as you are not being double taxed, there should be no problem with it. Sometimes counties collect for other taxing entities, so check to see if that is the case, and that you are not being fully taxed by both counties.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:58 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,589,402 times
Don't do this if you have any political aspirations. This is a huge issue right now in Knox/Anderson county TN to decide the residency of a candidate. Is it her mailbox, driveway or bedroom?

Old 04-20-2012, 07:20 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,183,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Don't do this if you have any political aspirations. This is a huge issue right now in Knox/Anderson county TN to decide the residency of a candidate. Is it her mailbox, driveway or bedroom?
This thread is 2-3 years old but..

It's usually involved in school district taxes and who collects. For example, some of Frisco is in Denton Cty and some in Collin County. School taxes are paid to Collin Cty where County and city taxes can be paid to Denton Cty.

It's not double taxation but more about who collects.

As far as politics it's where the house is located and I believe where the master bedroom is that determines residency when a house is split by some type of boundary.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:00 AM

2,346 posts, read 6,926,513 times
I know this thread is several years old, but...

The subject isn't about cities that straddle county lines or ISD boundaries. That's not an issue - the county can act as a tax-collecting agency for just about any government entity. (For example, Collin County will happily collect taxes on behalf of the City of Dallas for those houses in Far North Dallas.)

It's about properties that are literally cut in two by county lines. Rare, but it does exist.

Here's an example - the same property in both Collin and Denton Counties.

COLLIN CAD Property Details

Denton Central Appraisal District - PropertyDetails

For this property, Collin County collects taxes for itself, CCCCD, Plano ISD, and City of Dallas. Denton County collects taxes for itself, CFBISD, and City of Dallas (again!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas