Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 07:22 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,132,455 times

Advertisements

I am looking for an apartment in Dallas, and the problem is, most are complexes owned by corporations who have inome requirements (3x the rent). I can't prove my income with pay stubs or through W-2 tax forms for reasons I won't go into here, but I would like to know, what are my options for renting an apartment, guest houses, garage apartment or small home?

In other words, I would like to rent from a person directly vs. a corporation, this way I can explain my situation personally, and I won't be disqualified right away from renting (hopefully).

Any suggestions or ideas? I am fine with living in non-traditional areas, I know most people recommend N. Dallas, the northern suburbs, etc, but I can live anywhere really, SW side or other less desireable areas for example.

I wonder if people rent out detached apartments in back of their homes in certain areas? Where would I find out about these possible options? Any ideas or advise would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 01:57 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,238,122 times
Try a small complex, not all are owned by large companies. There are some in Garland called Centron Condominiums near Shiloh and Arapaho. There is on older lady that own/runs the place. I would also suggest renting a room, or getting a place with a friend and you both co sign.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:03 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,458,087 times
Check Craig's List.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:46 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,839,259 times
if you can't show proof of income--you are going to have trouble with getting utilties installed as well then--your credit history can be checked by any utility or apt complex I believe the release in on the application

Old 09-30-2009, 12:32 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,150,148 times
craigslist is good if you can filter through all the apartments in there -- search "East Dallas" there are a lot of individual landlords here, including myself.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:42 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,863,909 times
Rent a room in someone else's house. They don't care about your income as long you pay on time and don't cause any problems.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:07 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,839,259 times
Rent a room in someone else's house. They don't care about your income as long you pay on time and don't cause any problems.
that is such a blatant generalization--I think knowing how someone actually earns that money could be directly related to the "causing problems" part...

Old 10-01-2009, 08:36 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,132,455 times
My real problem is that I am moving without a job...of course I will get one once I live there...but before hand it is pretty hard to get hired being out of area...so that is why I don't have income verification.

I have money for the first month's rent, deposit...but I wonder if a place will do month to month maybe considering the circumstance?

Old 10-01-2009, 10:02 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times
YOur best chance is a private landlord. Many people who offer a room in their house (roommate) will do month-to-month in case they don't like you or there are problems. I occasionally rent out my basement suite for short periods, with no deposit and no signed contract, after carefully interviewing the person.

Look on Craigslist in the shared housing section. It may not be in an optimal area or the best house in the neighborhood but it is going to be for a short time, isn't it? The alternative is to fly out and drive around the older areas, where there are garage apts. or small houses and look for signs. Many people don't advertise other than a sign out front b/c they don't want the hassle of talking to people who are basically just looky-loos.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:17 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
My real problem is that I am moving without a job...of course I will get one once I live there...but before hand it is pretty hard to get hired being out of area...so that is why I don't have income verification.

I have money for the first month's rent, deposit...but I wonder if a place will do month to month maybe considering the circumstance?
So now you are saying you really do not have any income and want to rent until you find a job, do you have any idea how long it might take you to find one or what it might pay. You have enough for a months deposit? That won't begin to cover what will be needed to start over. You might be without a job for a couple of months.

I don't know what to tell you, but whether you want to hear this or not, I think you are going to have a heck of a lot of trouble finding anything.

As leary as I am of Craigslist, I think this is going to be your only option.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: