Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 05:59 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times

Advertisements

This is in this month's issue of D Magazine.
D Magazine : How a City Boy Learned to Love the Suburbs

"It is, however, enough to get us in town to take another look and realize that Lake Ray Hubbard has become the coolest place in Dallas-Fort Worth."

Rockwall has had a lot of good buzz lately it seems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 06:09 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
I saw that article, too. It almost made this city snob want to take a drive to Rockwall and see what the buzz is all about. I haven't been there in 20 years!

Old 10-04-2009, 10:04 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,250,942 times
Yup, we love it out here...

Naima

Old 10-04-2009, 10:06 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,237,694 times
It sure isn't what it used to be. It's almost completely grown out, mostly upscale. Lots and lots of shopping, gone are the days of their being an old fashion walmart, a kroger, and bealls. There are tons of restaurants, tons of stores. The lake is packed with boaters, there is a beautiful development on the shore of Ray Hubbard right off of 30.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:06 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I saw that article, too. It almost made this city snob want to take a drive to Rockwall and see what the buzz is all about. I haven't been there in 20 years!
You will not recognize it. Rockwall is great and has a lot of great things going on. The Harbor is a great little development on the shores of the lake with restaurants, clubs, shops and a hotel. During the summer once a week they have free concerts there and it is PACKED! The downtown is totally being transformed. There are some great restaurants in Rockwall for dining that are superb. Bin 303 and Ava's are two that are in the downtown area. The nice thing about Rockwall is that even with all of the growth it still retains that great small town feel.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:25 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
Actually Mike lived in Far East Dallas - on the other side of White Rock Lake from me - I see he now lives on the 'other side' of Ray Hubbard!

I like Mike (went to a great party at his prior home off S. Buckner) but I don't think it should be interepreted that he lived in Old East Dallas/Lakewood.

I remember going on hayrides in Rockwall when I was at SMU.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:59 PM

35 posts, read 147,285 times
Sorry for dragging up an old thread, but I wanted to share an alternative viewpoint on Rockwall. I've recently moved to what I'd like to think is a pretty nice part of Rockwall (The Shores), living in the nicest house I've ever lived in, and after only 2 months, I can't wait to move back to North Dallas.

1) The retail is inferior to the same stores closer in and around Dallas. The Super Walmart's prices are higher and with less choice than the ones I used to go to at Garland Ave/190 or Prestonwood and the Petsmart and Best Buy do not have the same variety as their counterparts in Plano.
2) For regular grocery stores, you have very few choices...Brookshires on Goliad, Walmart grocery on 66 and I think there may be a Kroger south of I30 somewhere? This normally isn't such a big deal.....until you can't find what you want (out of stock, store doesn't carry a particular flavor or variety, etc). It also means no specialty stores like Asian markets, Central Market (!), or Whole Foods.
3) When visiting, driving through, or house-hunting in Rockwall, it didn't seem that far. Now that I live here, having to drive into Dallas several times a week (work, visit friends/family, shopping) is almost painful. Similarly, I only get visits every now and then because besides the novelty in wanting to see my new house, no one wants to drive out this far. The major police presence in Rowlett (66) and Garland (I30) don't make this a pleasant drive either.
4) My car is perpetually dirty...ignoring the recent rain we've been getting, every trip at night across the long bridges (either on 66 or I30) result in a windshield and bumper cover full of bugs.
5) This is probably more specific to the neighborhood I live in than Rockwall in general, but it takes forever to get anywhere, even within Rockwall. A trip to I30 takes about 7-8 minutes....so no matter where you go, add 15 minutes for the round trip. Except for a few (VERY few) businesses north of 66, there's no such thing as a "quick trip."

To sum all of this up, I guess the biggest thing I miss about being in Dallas is that if you don't find what you want at one place, you can easily and quickly find alternatives and price shop, whether you're looking for common groceries to luxury goods and if you live anywhere near the Loop 12/75/Tollway/190 "box" then everything is fairly conveniently located.

Don't get me wrong, I don't HATE Rockwall and all of the merits that everyone quotes are absolutely true...everything is nice, neat/clean, and the schools are wonderful and lake is great. Just wanted to share my experiences, which for some represent just silly annoyances, but may save a few people out there a disappointing move.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:41 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,611,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw461 View Post
Sorry for dragging up an old thread, but I wanted to share an alternative viewpoint on Rockwall. I've recently moved to what I'd like to think is a pretty nice part of Rockwall (The Shores), living in the nicest house I've ever lived in, and after only 2 months, I can't wait to move back to North Dallas.

1) The retail is inferior to the same stores closer in and around Dallas. The Super Walmart's prices are higher and with less choice than the ones I used to go to at Garland Ave/190 or Prestonwood and the Petsmart and Best Buy do not have the same variety as their counterparts in Plano.
2) For regular grocery stores, you have very few choices...Brookshires on Goliad, Walmart grocery on 66 and I think there may be a Kroger south of I30 somewhere? This normally isn't such a big deal.....until you can't find what you want (out of stock, store doesn't carry a particular flavor or variety, etc). It also means no specialty stores like Asian markets, Central Market (!), or Whole Foods.
3) When visiting, driving through, or house-hunting in Rockwall, it didn't seem that far. Now that I live here, having to drive into Dallas several times a week (work, visit friends/family, shopping) is almost painful. Similarly, I only get visits every now and then because besides the novelty in wanting to see my new house, no one wants to drive out this far. The major police presence in Rowlett (66) and Garland (I30) don't make this a pleasant drive either.
4) My car is perpetually dirty...ignoring the recent rain we've been getting, every trip at night across the long bridges (either on 66 or I30) result in a windshield and bumper cover full of bugs.
5) This is probably more specific to the neighborhood I live in than Rockwall in general, but it takes forever to get anywhere, even within Rockwall. A trip to I30 takes about 7-8 minutes....so no matter where you go, add 15 minutes for the round trip. Except for a few (VERY few) businesses north of 66, there's no such thing as a "quick trip."

To sum all of this up, I guess the biggest thing I miss about being in Dallas is that if you don't find what you want at one place, you can easily and quickly find alternatives and price shop, whether you're looking for common groceries to luxury goods and if you live anywhere near the Loop 12/75/Tollway/190 "box" then everything is fairly conveniently located.

Don't get me wrong, I don't HATE Rockwall and all of the merits that everyone quotes are absolutely true...everything is nice, neat/clean, and the schools are wonderful and lake is great. Just wanted to share my experiences, which for some represent just silly annoyances, but may save a few people out there a disappointing move.
Sounds like you didn't do your homework before you purchased your home. A quick look at a map would have answered many of those concerns. Yes, we do have what I call the "lake bugs", esp. at night in the fall. I regularly take the trip over the 66 bridge and have experienced the same thing. But I also take the I-30 bridge and have never ever had a problem with bugs there for some reason.

I don't know why there are only two Central Markets in the Dallas area, but many retailers think that Plano is the only suburb to locate in. Ditto Whole Foods. But a quick trip across the 66 bridge will land you at a very nice and upscale Tom Thumb, plus an Albertsons. Both should be no more than 10 minutes from you. Just don't go at night during the fall if the bugs are that big of a deal. The lake itself makes travel around Rockwall and Rowlett a bit more difficult - that's simply the trade-off for being next to the lake. Construction on Ridge Road and 205 has been a pain for the last few years, but most of that is quickly coming to an end.

So if being that close to relatives, certain upscale stores, and I-30 was such a concern, I guess that could have been easily avoided on your part. Myself, I love being out here and the few minor inconveniences are of little concern considering the many amenities Rockwall and Rowlett do offer.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:46 PM

35 posts, read 147,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw461 View Post
It's been almost one year since this message thread, but I couldn't help but drag it back up after driving across the bridges on Highway 66 a couple of nights ago. Attached is the next day at the car wash.

Remember this is ONE TRIP across the bridges at night. Car was reasonably clean before this happened.
Attached Thumbnails
Nice article about Rockwall written by a city snob living in East Dallas-09292010094.jpg  

Old 10-02-2010, 12:03 AM

4,207 posts, read 15,250,942 times
There is also the nice new Tom Thumb right outside the Shores at 205 and Dalton.

Naima
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas