Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 03:41 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,910 times

Advertisements

I have been looking for a cheap apartment in Dallas and have finally found one in Garland, near the intersection of W. Miller Rd. and S. Garland Ave.

The streetview on google maps shows it's an older area...which is fine, I know you get what you pay for.

But, is this simply a run of the mill, working class area? Or is this an area with crime-where it would not be worth taking a cheap apartment in this area?

I would appreciate any insight on this area overall. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 03:49 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
I'm trying to picture apartments at that intersection????? Cemetery one side of Garland Ave near the RR tracks. Those would be quiet neighbors
A small store/bus depot on another and a church back behind it on Miller. The old shopping center that is to be revitalized soon (dragging along right now but they have a great sign from the past ). The apartments are not right ON Garland Ave though. There are some on Miller though to the east. Would those be them? The area is a hodge podge. You have some older small frame homes and some older brick homes. Back to the west off of Miller are some nice older brick ranch homes that are well cared for on large lots but no apartments back there. To the east of Garland Ave off of Miller are some older homes and it is mixed but not horribly bad. My daughter has a good friend that lives to the south and they are a super nice family. Some people take care of their house and yards and some don't. On down there is Saturn Road Church of Christ. HUGE CHURCH that a lot of people from all over Garland attend. VERY involved church and congregation. It is not a "poor" church by any means so the area is not THAT bad. But yes, it is your "simple working class" neighborhood. I'm not afraid to drive thru there in the middle of the night by myself or to let my kids spend the night w/ their friends over in that area at all.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:36 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,614,872 times
Older area; mainly poor hispanic families living in that complex. I think that's the Miller Glen apartments if it's on the north side of Miller just east of Saturn Rd.. Built in the early 60s maybe.

Old 10-08-2009, 05:00 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
Older area; mainly poor hispanic families living in that complex. I think that's the Miller Glen apartments if it's on the north side of Miller just east of Saturn Rd.. Built in the early 60s maybe.
I'd say for the apartments that is the demographics. The single family homes in the area are a mix.

If you have looked at them and they seem okay for YOU and YOUR life then go for it.

Not far up from there on the north side is a nice park, Central Park. The Garland PeeWee football league plays on the football field there and the baseball teams for the leagues in this area play there. Nice ball fields

Old 10-08-2009, 05:37 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,910 times
They are actually the apartments right infront of Sonic Drive in if that helps.

I noticed the defunk mall, and passed the apartments there was a Family Dollar store, so it was working class, but I didn't know if this was an area known for crime or problems. The apartmetns are ugly and old, but in this economy I will take what I can get and then work my way up as times improve.

As long as that area in general isn't overly dangerous or have serious crime problems, I feel better signing a lease.

Oh there is also like a Taco or some Mexican restaurant immediately next to the complex (white buildings).

Old 10-08-2009, 10:06 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,240,297 times
I know which one you are thinking about, they have a big courtyard in the middle of the complex. It is a heavily Hispanic area, and the day labor place is nearby. You can get some of the best tacos in all of DFW at the Shell station of all places. My best friends family has lived in that neighborhood for about 15+ years and that was my area was my hang out from 1996-2001. My bff and I used to run around at all hours of the day, and snuck out at night a few times. Once we had some guy ask us if we wanted to buy weed, but that was it. The day laborers are known to carry cash and are often targeted by robbers. There is another complex almost behind the one you are looking at which had string of such robberies about 8-9 years back. Again the robbers target the day laborers. I don't know if any of that still goes on. All in all its a fairly safe area, it's not the kind of place that ends up in the news on a regular basis. I'll have to talk to my friend parents and get some more details, I'll PM you in a day or two.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:54 AM

2 posts, read 5,265 times
Avoid Garland! I have lived here my entire life. I purchased a home in 2005 in South Garland- BIG MISTAKE! Code enforcement doesn't care about my neighborhood and the police SPEED down my street all of the time. My father had a business here for nearly 30 years and had to move it becuse the city council thought it would be a great idea to put in a DAY LABOR CENTER. The city of Garland, TX also has a special Cisneros Pre-K school for children that speak Spanish as a first language (illegal immigrants and anchor babies). The city pays for and maintains the day labor center (also for illegal immigrants). I have friends that are teachers and have been forced to take Spanish classes because the hispanic population of the schools in GISD are overwhelming. Garland caters to illegal residents. You may not experience the grunt of it as I do if you live in North Garland, but it's there. A Fiesta just opened in North Garland. I went to the grand opening and the deli guy spoke very little English. If you are moving to Garland, TX it would behoove you to learn Spanish and speak it fluently.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:43 AM

1,533 posts, read 7,240,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by may7681 View Post
Avoid Garland! I have lived here my entire life. I purchased a home in 2005 in South Garland- BIG MISTAKE! Code enforcement doesn't care about my neighborhood and the police SPEED down my street all of the time. My father had a business here for nearly 30 years and had to move it becuse the city council thought it would be a great idea to put in a DAY LABOR CENTER. The city of Garland, TX also has a special Cisneros Pre-K school for children that speak Spanish as a first language (illegal immigrants and anchor babies). The city pays for and maintains the day labor center (also for illegal immigrants). I have friends that are teachers and have been forced to take Spanish classes because the hispanic population of the schools in GISD are overwhelming. Garland caters to illegal residents. You may not experience the grunt of it as I do if you live in North Garland, but it's there. A Fiesta just opened in North Garland. I went to the grand opening and the deli guy spoke very little English. If you are moving to Garland, TX it would behoove you to learn Spanish and speak it fluently.
In other words your problem isn't with Garland, it's with Mexicans, immigrants, and probably anyone who is not white. How do you know they are illegal? Is it because their skin is brown and they have an accent? FYI Fiesta is a store that caters to a Hispanic clientele. They guy was making an attempt to speak the language. Ignorance and hate will do nothing but drag you down. Those are your fellow human beings and they mean you no harm. They are simply here for a better life, probably no dfferent than what brought your relatives to this nation.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:22 AM

3 posts, read 5,544 times
Talking Are you kidding me??

Wow, I now I am a bit late on even posting a reply here , but I just found this while scrolling the web. I live at Miller Glen and have for years. It is right across from Sonic and Yes the best Tacos are at Shell! The Mexican restaurant next door is great, they are doing improvements all the time.

My concerns lie with the people who say NOT to move to Garland and that the place is no good. I have been in Garland for 8 years and this complex for 2 years. Yes, the majority is Mexican [I am white and my son is black]. Rainbow of colors in this building . But one thing is for sure, we all watch each others apartments, cars and kids! The fact that it is so closed in with the courtyard in the middle is excellent. No kids in the street playing, not able to have someone break in as easily as other places because people can see your doors and big windows.

We are like a huge family unit. It does not matter if you speak English, Spanish and even Chinese. A smile and a nod go farther than you think. The fact remains that the building is old, the rent is cheap and the apartment is just an apartment until you make it a home. I love it here and have no intentions of moving anytime to soon. I pray wherever you chose to move, you are happy.

Just wanted to give my 2 cents.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:46 PM

23 posts, read 96,294 times
Quote:
The city of Garland, TX also has a special Cisneros Pre-K school for children that speak Spanish as a first language....
Wow. I have a friend who happens to teach at the Cisneros Pre-K center and this is simply not accurate information. Spanish is not the primary language spoken at this school. If that were the case, my friend wouldn't be able to work there because she doesn't happen to speak Spanish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas