U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 09:29 AM

19 posts, read 51,761 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I was here a few months ago about a potential move to Dallas from Vermont, and the job looks more likely now. We've narrowed down our choices to two areas. Husband will be working in Addison, and we have an eight year old daughter.

With $700k to spend, would you rather buy one in Coppell and have your child attend the public schools there, or buy a $500k house in Dallas somewhere and put your child in a private school?

We aren't considering public school options in Dallas, though I know some of the schools are better than others -- we are focusing only on private if Dallas is where we choose to live.

So the choice for us is Coppell or Dallas with the two different school options. I'd love some feedback from those of you with lots of both Dallas and suburb experience. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 10:10 AM

9,230 posts, read 10,862,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermontmom View Post
Hi everyone, I was here a few months ago about a potential move to Dallas from Vermont, and the job looks more likely now. We've narrowed down our choices to two areas. Husband will be working in Addison, and we have an eight year old daughter.

With $700k to spend, would you rather buy one in Coppell and have your child attend the public schools there, or buy a $500k house in Dallas somewhere and put your child in a private school?

We aren't considering public school options in Dallas, though I know some of the schools are better than others -- we are focusing only on private if Dallas is where we choose to live.

So the choice for us is Coppell or Dallas with the two different school options. I'd love some feedback from those of you with lots of both Dallas and suburb experience. Thanks!
Hmmm. First question that comes to mind, do you prefer newer houses or something more like a 50s or 60s ranch? For me personally, I love the ranch homes in Dallas with their treed lots. But that's me. I've noticed many people transfer down here and are more excited about getting a newer build in the suburbs. Just personal preference.

Schools are a whole other issue and that's a tough one. We use DISD but I completely understand why people wish to avoid it and go private. Coppell- you don't need to worry about schools.
Dallas- The good private schools are very tough to get into. If I were focused on going private, the stress of the move along with the stress of getting my kid into a great private school would be too much!
When would you be arriving in the area? I'm not positive, but I think the application process for private schools for next year is coming up soon as I'm seeing lots of ads for private school fairs.

Good luck!

Old 10-10-2009, 10:14 AM

9,230 posts, read 10,862,459 times
One more thing, the commute. The North Dallas area (Dallas proper) to Addison wouldn't be bad. Can't speak for Coppell to Addison, I hope someone else can chime in on that.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:22 AM

1,194 posts, read 3,094,814 times
You are very fortunate. For $700k, you can live palatially in a DFW suburb. For $500k, you will have your choice among many upscale Dallas neighborhoods and there are private schools everywhere. It really boils down to what kind of environment you are looking for. Coppell is a very nice suburb next to a very large city. If you're looking for bang for the buck, then you'll get more house and not have to pay for private schools in Coppell. For proximity to your husband's job in Addison, large parts of N. Dallas (above I-635) would also be convenient and I believe that some of those areas are inside the Plano school district. Others here will know more about that.

FYI, there is a bit of a psychological divide between Dallas inside of I-635 (aka LBJ Freeway) and outside of that loop (it circles the city within about 12 miles from downtown). There's even more of a difference when you get inside of Loop 12 (a closer-in loop that radiates about 7 miles from downtown). The character, terrain, politics, entertainment options and overall vibe are very different inside of these loops than outside. Some people rarely go outside of these loops. Others rarely come inside.

If you are interested in neighborhoods with lots of character, close to cultural venues, independent movies, great restaurants, great shopping, etc... then inner-city Dallas has a lot of places that would be suitable given a $500k housing budget. If the above is a priority for you, then I would suggest investigating areas in E. Dallas near Whiterock Lake (Old Lake Highlands, Lakewood, Forest Hills) or in N. Oak Cliff (Kessler Park, Stevens Park or the Winnetka Hts. historic district). All of these neighborhoods are going to be much older than what you will find in Coppell and they are very well maintained. Many of them also offer beautiful topography with lots of hills, trees, creeks and winding roads. If townhomes or condos are an option, then check out the Uptown, Turtle Creek and Oak Lawn areas all just north of downtown. In case it makes a difference to you, much of inner-city Dallas will be politically moderate to liberal. Using the Dallas North Tollway, any of these areas would offer a tolerable commute to Addison (30-45 minutes).

Best of luck to you!

Old 10-10-2009, 10:38 AM

Well, trees, creeks and rolling hills are a huge plus, especially coming from Vermont. I imagine there is a little less heat in a shady yard, isn't there?

And I like the houses better in Dallas, all around. I just wonder about trying for a private school, sinking ourselves into a Dallas home and then learning we have to put her in a public school which may not be very good. I have no way of gauging at all, of how likely it is she'd get into one. Other than the top four or five schools, are there other private schools that have more openings? Are they considered good schools, as in, better than what I'd find in Coppell, or not quite as good?

Old 10-10-2009, 10:46 AM

1,194 posts, read 3,094,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermontmom View Post
Well, trees, creeks and rolling hills are a huge plus, especially coming from Vermont. I imagine there is a little less heat in a shady yard, isn't there?

And I like the houses better in Dallas, all around. I just wonder about trying for a private school, sinking ourselves into a Dallas home and then learning we have to put her in a public school which may not be very good. I have no way of gauging at all, of how likely it is she'd get into one. Other than the top four or five schools, are there other private schools that have more openings? Are they considered good schools, as in, better than what I'd find in Coppell, or not quite as good?
Yes, lots of trees in your yard will keep your house cooler and your electric bills lower. I've only been to Vermont once and I remember it was beautiful. The closest that you will get in Dallas to that kind of hilly topography would probably be in Kessler Park, Bluffview or Lakewood. As for private schools, that's not my specialty but I know there will be others here who can give you more information.

Old 10-10-2009, 11:18 AM

6,585 posts, read 22,827,358 times
So this means you have eliminated Plano ISD, Frisco ISD, and Richardson ISD (part of which is in the city of Dallas, very close to Addison)?

Old 10-10-2009, 02:02 PM

I don't like a large school district, so yes, we've eliminated those. Coppell is about as large as I would ever consider. I think I'm leaning more towards Dallas but would like a backup plan for school in the event that our daughter doesn't get into one of the few available openings in one of the good private schools.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas native View Post
The closest that you will get in Dallas to that kind of hilly topography would probably be in Kessler Park, Bluffview or Lakewood. As for private schools, that's not my specialty but I know there will be others here who can give you more information.
I love the look of Lakewood (online real estate shopping!) but do people who live there and choose private school send their kids to the private schools in North Dallas? Or do they choose Lakehill, St. Thomas Aquinas, St. John, Lamplighter?

Old 10-10-2009, 08:35 PM

2,395 posts, read 7,742,829 times
$700K will get you a very nice home in the Lake Highlands area of Dallas, which incidentally is primarily in Richardson School District. You could of course just spend $500K and drop the $200K into your child's college fund and be done with school expenses for good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or