Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 11:35 PM

62 posts, read 296,955 times

Advertisements

A search showed zero mentions of this builder. Wondering if anyone is familiar with them? They seem to have a nice looking product...

Old 10-12-2009, 12:35 AM

4,207 posts, read 15,250,942 times
They're a fairly new builder, been around about 4 years or so. They mainly were building in Forney but are expanding into a couple other cities.

I have seen their product and it looks pretty nice. I would compare it to First Texas Homes if you are familiar with them.

However, it bothers me that they are not members of the Better Business Bureau and now that the TRCC is no longer around, I would thread carefully. I am sure that they have a valid excuse.

Naima

Old 10-12-2009, 07:06 PM

thanks, naima. i asked because i saw one of their properties in mckinney and it looked really nice...

drove around their Oaks at Firewheel development. looked more "custom" than what i recall seeing of first texas homes but two things turned me off at the Oaks: the HUGE power tower smack in the middle of the neighborhood and the debris filled lots under construction.

my husband said when we build, keeping a close eye on the site will be critical and i know home buyers who inspect lots for trash, almost daily, but megatel's site was over the top. i have seen other devo's underway from highland homes, paul taylor, drees, grand, first texas and did not see that much trash.

i have to question their quality, if they can't hire contractors who care enough not to use the land as a dumping ground for fast food garbage, or at least pick up after themselves... perhaps i'm expecting too much from a construction site...

Old 10-12-2009, 07:16 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,250,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordstringer View Post
i have to question their quality, if they can't hire contractors who care enough not to use the land as a dumping ground for fast food garbage, or at least pick up after themselves... perhaps i'm expecting too much from a construction site...
That is an issue that you will encounter no matter which builder you use. I did a home inspection on a home that was 800K in Southlake and hired an inspector that uses the thermal imaging camera. You could see empty bottles of drinks inside the walls!!!!

The superintendent cannot be around at all times so stuff like that will happen.

Naima

Old 10-12-2009, 07:41 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,489,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsumner View Post
That is an issue that you will encounter no matter which builder you use. I did a home inspection on a home that was 800K in Southlake and hired an inspector that uses the thermal imaging camera. You could see empty bottles of drinks inside the walls!!!!

The superintendent cannot be around at all times so stuff like that will happen.

Naima
When we had a deck torn out at our old house we found several cases of empty beer cans under it. The deck had a hot tub set in it as if it were inground, so you couldn't really see under there. The house was built around 1985, we found the cans around 1997-98!

Old 10-12-2009, 08:36 PM

264 posts, read 624,852 times
I am on construction sites quite a bit and was at Megatel's Oaks at Firewheel development this past weekend. The amount of trash on the three homes that are currently under construction was no different than any other builder I have seen, including those in the Park Cities/Lakewood areas.

Nice looking homes; finish out is on par with Grand Homes, First Texas as stated earlier. The Oaks at Firewheel was initially owned by Grand Homes but they pulled out before construction began.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakehighlands View Post
I am on construction sites quite a bit and was at Megatel's Oaks at Firewheel development this past weekend. The amount of trash on the three homes that are currently under construction was no different than any other builder I have seen, including those in the Park Cities/Lakewood areas.

Nice looking homes; finish out is on par with Grand Homes, First Texas as stated earlier. The Oaks at Firewheel was initially owned by Grand Homes but they pulled out before construction began.
Ah. Thanks for the insight.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:07 PM

2 posts, read 18,544 times
So, you must have a relationship to the builder and your opinion would be biased. So are they listed with the BBB? Also, when we had our first home built, not a spec of trash EVER!

Old 03-05-2010, 04:37 PM

2 posts, read 23,698 times
I am in the process of buiding with Megatel that is if they will ever submit for permit. They have my down payment and I signed my contract 48 days ago. I keep asking where my permit is and have yet to get an answer, so I took it upon myself to call the City where I am building to inquire. They told me no permit has been requested and no drawings have been submitted. Why their quality and upgrades are very good, there business skills are lacking and honesty is not in their vocabulary. I am going to get my earnest money back and go elsewhere if it is not started next week. I have two other friends that built with them and I would like to but not at this expense.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:08 AM

1 posts, read 15,657 times
We're building with them in West Woodbridge right now and couldn't be happier. Their homes are so custom it's ridiculous. Standards for them are upgrades for all of the other builders in the area. Great homes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas