Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 09:52 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,846,828 times

Advertisements

what has been forgotten in this issue is that the driver did an ILLEGAL U-Turn AND did not have a driver license on her.
She was also ticketed for not speaking English... which is what the mainstream media has grabbed onto.
Which to me is pretty bogus.

I lived in Germany and had a international license. You had to pass the internationl road sign test and take a written test (mine was in english) where you did have to know some BASIC German. BUT the signage is constant throughout Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 10:06 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,424,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
what has been forgotten in this issue is that the driver did an ILLEGAL U-Turn AND did not have a driver license on her.
She was also ticketed for not speaking English... which is what the mainstream media has grabbed onto.
Which to me is pretty bogus.

I lived in Germany and had a international license. You had to pass the internationl road sign test and take a written test (mine was in english) where you did have to know some BASIC German. BUT the signage is constant throughout Europe.
Is this the same woman who now wants money, since she was so "stressed out" from getting the ticket she had to go into the hospital?

Old 10-26-2009, 11:49 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,221,031 times
Further evidence that Dallas is conservative. Seriously, issuing tickets for not speaking English? And if you read the article, the lady in question was pulled over for an illegal U-turn. Do the Dallas police have nothing better to do than pull people over for something as petty as doing an illegal U-turn?? They would never pull you over for something like that in Phoenix or LA. I got issued a ticket for turning without signaling and following too closely when I lived in Dallas. The police in the South have a different mentality and they are known to harrass residents

Old 10-26-2009, 01:59 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,819,090 times
The police chief is reversing or doing a revocation of anything pending against these people. The police officer could have been a jerk. These tickets were in a time span of 3 years. It wasn't over 1 week. Who knows what the police man's issue was. Could it be poor training? or lack of intelligence? I think that is pretty common in the police force.

Old 10-26-2009, 02:00 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,819,090 times
Oh please. Dallas isn't conservative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Further evidence that Dallas is conservative. Seriously, issuing tickets for not speaking English? And if you read the article, the lady in question was pulled over for an illegal U-turn. Do the Dallas police have nothing better to do than pull people over for something as petty as doing an illegal U-turn?? They would never pull you over for something like that in Phoenix or LA. I got issued a ticket for turning without signaling and following too closely when I lived in Dallas. The police in the South have a different mentality and they are known to harrass residents

Old 10-27-2009, 09:31 AM

216 posts, read 713,764 times
Quote:
Do the Dallas police have nothing better to do than pull people over for something as petty as doing an illegal U-turn??

Research shows that many wanted people are caught as a result of a regular traffic stop. Timothy McVeigh was caught in a traffic stop.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:47 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,610,803 times
Quote:
You can find this stuff in any city. Its not evidence of anything.

Ive gotten tickets in LA, Chicago, and Tucson. All that means is that I violated a traffic law.

You cant take anything from actions of 6 people. The police also came out and said it was wrong.

Last edited by Cowboys fan in Houston; 10-27-2009 at 09:58 AM..

Old 10-27-2009, 11:08 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,598,595 times
Quote:
omg, you are seriously teetering on the troll fence, I love how you constantly come up with fallacious arguments and assertions to try and discredit Dallas.

Btw, I did a lil illegal u-turn research and found that they do in fact give tickets in Phoenix and LA just like in Dallas. Hyperbolization doesn't work well for you.

I was pulled over for making an illegal u-turn. ... - JustAnswer

Ticketed for Illegal U-Turn in a Business district 22102VC? - Yahoo! Answers

Old 10-27-2009, 11:09 AM

714 posts, read 2,921,018 times
She should have been ticketed for the U-turn and for not having a driver's license with her, no ticket for not speaking English.

However, I read in the paper that she has been a legal resident since 1980.

If anyone from a foreign country has lived in another country for 29+ years, they should learn to speak the language.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:21 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,107,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboybootnut View Post
She should have been ticketed for the U-turn and for not having a driver's license with her, no ticket for not speaking English.

However, I read in the paper that she has been a legal resident since 1980.

If anyone from a foreign country has lived in another country for 29+ years, they should learn to speak the language.
I agree. Refusing to learn English demonstrates a disdain for this country and its people. In almost 30 years most adults of average intelligence could learn English, especially if they came here as a very young adult. Given that she is 48 now, she would have been 19 when she came here. She has no excuse other than laziness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: