Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2009, 09:21 PM

86 posts, read 244,406 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm considering the area just north of the McKinney Historic District... Bonner St, Lela St, Hall St. etc. I hear the district itself is safe, but when you start getting to the edges, and actually outside of the edges, is it still desirable? I'm used to the suburbs, and I just don't want to buy in that area and then come to realize that it's not the safe, quiet, desirable area I had thought. I definitely want to feel safe in my home! Does anyone know what the crime rates are up there? I know there are some really knowledgeable people here - would love any advice! Thanks for reading!

If it helps, this is the map of the McKinney Historic District: http://www.mckinneytexas.org/Associations/144/data/forms/1074/Map%20of%20Historic%20District.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 02:53 AM

22 posts, read 118,694 times
HappyInDallas,

In my opinion, the area you mention on the north end of the historic district is a safe area. It's a nice neighborhood with varying degrees of home restorations in progress.

Again, in my humble opinion, the farther that you go either north or east out of the McKinney historic area (delineated in your web link map), the closer you are to becoming a crime statistic. I wouldn’t take an after-dark stroll in those areas without walking with a rabid pit bull on a leash or packing Dirty Harry Callahan’s favorite sidearm, or both!

As to being locked-and-loaded and canined-up for an out-of-area nocturnal walk, I’m being slightly disingenuous. Be careful. Walk when the sun is up, instead. Besides, if you stray north or east out of the district, you can always buy yourself a slobbering, four-legged land shark for protection while you are there. They abound aplenty. Just look for the houses with the bark chewed off all the tree trunks in the backyard, or listen for the rattling links of a heavy log chain being dragged around over fisher-price kiddie toys, lawn mowers, bar-b-que cookers, empty beer cans and miscellaneous discarded car parts.

Listed below are a few web links for McKinney crime stats and registered sex offenders in the area. I'm sure that there are better stats available and someone will probably come along with a link to them.

Registered sex offenders in McKinney:
City-Data Sex Offenders for McKinney, TX
FamilyWatchdog - Find registered offenders ===> Enter “McKinney, TX 75069”

McKinney crime info and alerts link. Zoom-in to the McKinney historic district [east of 75/121 and north of West Virginia St.] on the map and plug in different calendar begin/end dates for reported crimes in the area:
McKinney Crime Map - McKinney, TX - Crime Statistics - Crime Alerts

Hope this helps,

EarthFirst!

Old 10-25-2009, 02:09 PM

EarthFirst,
Thank you so much for the information and links!! Spotcrime.com is awesome!! I wonder how accurate it is though, because it shows barely any crime from McKinney but lots for Frisco! Crimereports.com is another map of crime source, but their results are different. Who knows! It's really hard to know what to think! The historic area is just so cute!

Another question for anyone. Do most people in McKinney think of the downtown area as the "bad area of town?" Even if you back up to the historic district? Would people be afraid to visit me?? haha

Would love more opinions!

Old 11-29-2009, 12:03 PM

4 posts, read 9,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinDallas View Post
EarthFirst,

Another question for anyone. Do most people in McKinney think of the downtown area as the "bad area of town?" Even if you back up to the historic district? Would people be afraid to visit me?? haha

Would love more opinions!
I live on Heard Street in the Historic District. Downtown is definitely not a bad area. In fact, it is very vibrant and active. I wish I had seen your post earlier and I could have invited you to come see the square for Dickens of a Christmas. It was wonderful. We had perfect weather.

We have tons of unique shops and wonderful restaurants downtown. Several are upper end - Rick's Chophouse, Mama Emilia's and Cafe Malaga are first on the list. I walk down to the square whenever I can and the weather is good. It is about a 5 minute walk for me. I am not afraid to go at any hour. Check out the McKinney Performing Arts Center which is currently in the Old Courthouse. This is a very happening place.

As far as living in the Historic District, I just can't express how great it is. I often hear the horses pass by, sometimes it's Happy Trails Carriage Rides and sometimes it is the McKinney Equine patrol. I can hear the bells from the First United Methodist church and soon they will start ringing out Christmas carols. The gardens here are beautiful and the home owners often sit out on their porches and visit or are out tending to their houses and yards. Everyone is very friendly and most will wave, some will stop awhile to talk to you. The McKinney bike patrol comes through a lot and the police are usually very friendly as well.

We have a very tightly-nit community. I know all of my neighbors and trust most of them with a key to my house. We are there for them and vice versa. We get e-mails about any questionable activities and, though we are not entirely crime free, I have no fear living here. I wouldn't put something expensive and easily portable in my front yard but, honestly, I don't think that that is any different from any other place.

I really recommend that you come up and spend a weekend and get to know us. The Grand Hotel has a special package coming up for the Holiday Tour of Homes. Then you could get a real feel for the whole package. Maybe take in the McKinney's Repertory Theatre's performance of A Christmas Carol and then go over to Churchill's, Rick's or La Misha for dinner and a drink. There is just sooooo much. You will absolutely love it.

Old 11-29-2009, 02:58 PM

Beth,
Wow!! Thank you so much for your fantastic reply full of such great information!! Downtown sounds like so much fun from the way you describe it!!! I love that you can hear the church bells!!! I would so adore that!! Sounds like downtown is full of friendly people and lots of culture. I will have to come for a visit for sure. I really appreciate your reply - thank you so much!

Old 11-29-2009, 10:09 PM

1,914 posts, read 7,148,973 times
Yes, that area is very nice. I have lived in McKinney for 10 years and love going to that part of town. i would live there if I could afford it we live in the west side but if I had the money I would buy a nice historic home there. Maybe in the future when my kids are gone and I'm not constantly broke ha ha

Old 11-30-2009, 09:50 AM

Thanks for your input CTR36!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas