U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which is the best U.S. airport?
Dallas/Ft. Worth Int'l Airport 13 46.43%
Orlando International Airport 2 7.14%
Minneapolis/St. Paul International Airport 1 3.57%
Denver Int'l Airport 1 3.57%
Atlanta International Airport 5 17.86%
NYC La Guardia 0 0%
LAX (LA) 1 3.57%
Chicago O'Hare 4 14.29%
Detroit Wayne Co. Metropolitan Airport 0 0%
Pittsburgh Int'l 1 3.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 07:34 AM

609 posts, read 2,112,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustle4alivin View Post
Yes, Dallas is great for O&D traffic, but it sucks as a hub, as it is a looooong journey from one part of the airport to the other.I used to change planes at that airport all the time, and I remember the "TrAAin" and those shuttle buses. However, the new Skylink system has really helped.

I live in Atlanta right now, so I'm sort of biased, but Atlanta's airport is the opposite of DFW: great forhub operations, but it's kind of bad for O&D traffic, which has increased quite substantially since 1980 when the Midfield terminal opened (given the growth of the metro area). One main security checkpoint for 6 concourses in the busiest airport in the world is absolutely disasterous. However, the airport is looking a lot nicer now since all the renovations they have done!

However, if it was in this poll, I'd vote for Tampa airport, with Orlando being a close second, just for their efficient layouts and ease of use. I used to live in Florida, and have experienced both of these airports quite a bit.

When you drive into Tampa Airport, the main short-term parking is located right on top of the Terminal. The terminals are color coded ('Red' and 'Blue') rather than by letter, number or direction. Elevators whisk you right down into the main terminal, and the Arrivals, Tickets, and Departure levels are separate from each other, which cuts down on intermingling foot traffic in the Landside Terminal (a MAJOR pet peeve of mine at Atlanta ). Instead of a long walk down a concourse, a shuttle train takes you to it, and there is minimal walking to your gate. Also, the security checkpoint is in each Concourse, rather than in the terminal itself. Orlando, on the other hand has the security checkpoints in the terminal. Orlando's security lines tend to be pretty long too, being Florida's busiest airport and all...

Also, TIA's signage is easy to read, making the airport easy to navigate around in.

OIA beats TIA in terms of Restaurants and shopping, but it is a far busier Airport than TIA. Parking is a bit more of a pain, but you have more options there than you do at TIA.

I agree. DFW prior to Skylink was not an efficient hub airport. But now with the fastest high speed train of any major world airport, Skylink has turned DFW into a formidable competitor as a hub airport. Also other changes made are that you now could walk b/t Terminals A and B, A and C, and C and D.
They're all connected at the expense of sacrificing a few gates.
Skylink has really turned DFW into a more efficient hub for American, kudos to the DFW airport for proceeding with expansion plans in the wake of the airline recession.

Also new in the expansion is the use of perimeter taxiways, the only airport to do so. This will cut down on wait times in terms of crossing runways.
It's hard when you have 5 parallel runways plus 2 diagonal parallel runways.
This will also make this a more efficient connection overtime as well.

I used to be a connector in DFW before, now I do O and D only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas