Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 07:52 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,461,741 times

Advertisements

no haggle pricing does work. I bought a ford truck from this place back in 2003 The History of Mullinax (http://mullinaxford.com/The-History-of-Mullinax/ - broken link)

Looks like they are still in business and one of the biggest ford dealers in Florida. I absolutely hate dealing with car salesmen. Its terrible.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:34 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,855,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
I still find it funny that pretty much everyone who has direct experience with this is of one opinion, and everyone else who doesn't has a different opinion.

True. Having had experience dealing w/ Indians in real estate deals it is the same way. They want EVERYTHING! And for nothing. The attitude they come to the table with is one of entitlement. It almost gets to the point that the seller and sellers agents feel as though the "buyer" actually wants the house and ALL contents just handed over to them for pennies. But let me tell you........ when THEY are the sellers..... they want top dollar and not a penny less and they are liable to take everything out of the house that is nailed down and even items that were negotiated to STAY with the house. It is NOT a "two way street" as far as they are concerned. That is where they get the reputation they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
- there was also the issue of someone's past experience in IT - read the whole thread.
- so, if someone has not been able to sell a car over 40 yrs to a single Indian, and yet Indians keep on buying cars, who is selling them these cars? Apparently, there are people who can. Sounds like a personal issue to me.

Anway, gotta go - life calls.
Believe it or not but most of them actually buy USED vehicles and there are several used car dealers that are not mainstream that they deal with. It is kind of the buddy system. A few might go and visit the new car dealer but most do not buy new from a dealer or even used from a major car brand dealer. They have small "back door" companies that they deal with. I know someone that worked for one of them for the high end cars.

Same goes for real estate. They have their own network and work within it. They might buy a house from a person that is non Indian but a lot of times they buy from other Indians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaistha View Post
I am an Indian and have been in the US for 12 years or so. In both real estate and autos; prices are NEGOTIABLE.
If just the car salesman/ rear estate agent would give us the "true" fixed price we would be okay. Saving $500 on a car or $5000 on a home may not seem to a big issue for someone but I would rather have the money in my pocket !!!!!
And the seller of the vehicle and houses you buy would ALSO like to walk away and know they at least came out alive and with a little money in their pockets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Any time you mention a particular race or nationality, it is skating on thin ice because people become emotional about it which has led to a PC attitude which pretty much shuts down any conversation on the matter. Somewhat anonymous forums like this are about the only place one can make comments with some level of honesty without fear of being fired or arrested our black balled by society.

My 6 years of selling to people from all back grounds has led to some generalities. People of all races and various nationalities not only buy from us but are employed at my dealership at all levels. A common thread amongst employees no matter what their own personal background is that the average Indian customer is very difficult. Not just because they haggle so vociferously to get a good deal, but because of the unpleasant attitude in which said deal is obtained.

Your average good ol' Texan is just as adept at negotiating a low deal. All Southeast Asian and Chinese peoples are shrewd at negotiating as well. The difference? At the very least, these people have some kind of graciousness in the process.

It is the nastiness and disdain from so many of the Indian customers that makes the process unpleasant. Whenever you agree to a term and are pleasant toward them, I get the feeling that they think I am ripping them off. It is almost like they don't think they have a good deal until you get upset and tell them to leave.

If this is upsetting to some folks, I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but this would be the synopsis of the majority of my coworkers, and these are Americans of many generations of all races as well as immigrants from the following countries (off the top of my head) Russia, Kenya, Nigeria, Vietnam, China, Iran, Jordan, Egypt, Colombia, El Salvador, Armenia, Moldova, Korea, Ghana, Australia, Great Britain, Moldova, The Philippines, Peru, Puerto Rico, Cuba... I am sure I could go on. To a person, the Indian customer is considered, on the whole, the most difficult cutomer to deal with in a car sale or in the service of a vehicle. Exceptions abound of course. I agree I am dealing in generalities. But that is the general consensus.
I'm with you 100%. I've been in on these deals but on the real estate end. They DO get ugly and if they are dealing w/ a female..... . Even worse. It is no different when dealing w/ them when I worked in the banks. Every day they would come in and speak perfect English. The second that their account had an issue and you could not cash their check or whatever....... NO ENGLISH and they were NASTY about it as well. Again, if it was a female they had to deal with... even nastier attitudes.

It almost seems as if they have a chip on their shoulder and that everyone is out to get them or take advantage of them. I'm fine w/ anyone wanting to bargain as I do it myself. But there is a way of going about it. Being educated about the products one is interested in purchasing is a start. Knowing a fair price where BOTH parties can feel that the deal gets closed and neither feels they got mistreated or taken advantage of is how a deal should end. It doesn't work that way with some people. Attitude goes a long way as well. I'm sure the car sales people in this thread are a lot happier to work with someone that is knowledgable about the product they are selling and knows the going price for said product before going in and comes in with the attitude that is not condescending or just flat out rude.

I've bought many, MANY cars and ran into plenty of car salesmen that could take a flying leap. I didn't buy from them. I was happy to walk away and out within a few minutes if I got a crappy attitude from them. I don't play games either. The ones that I have bought from I'd buy every car from them if I could.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:54 AM

625 posts, read 1,955,679 times
I like this thread. It's almost as if we're some arcane race with hidden networks and hand signals.

Maybe I should complain about all the things white people do when they're in India!

Old 07-26-2010, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unexpected View Post
Maybe I should complain about all the things white people do when they're in India!
Do they scream loud in English hoping that the other person will eventually understand them?
They do that in Mexico as well.

FYI, the people that are on The Amazing Race that bitterly complain about everything can not be used as an example. LOL!!!

Old 07-26-2010, 09:18 AM

261 posts, read 1,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Can't speak for everyone here, but this Texan will judge you on the content of your character, not the color of your skin.
Very Well Said

Old 07-26-2010, 09:20 AM

625 posts, read 1,955,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Do they scream loud in English hoping that the other person will eventually understand them?
They do that in Mexico as well.

FYI, the people that are on The Amazing Race that bitterly complain about everything can not be used as an example. LOL!!!
Yes, that is one of my faves. Talking louder does not make comprehension any easier.

Other things I've seen in the United States:

1) Willful mispronunciation of a name. It's okay if you mess it up the first time. But when you struggle with it, and then just give up, it comes across as very condescending.

2) Americans wearing saris to a formal indian event. This bothers me, but may not bother others - I find it akin to playing "dress up". It makes me feel slightly disrespected, because you view us as dolls, rather than people.

3) People judging us as math/science nerds, with no ability for creative thought. This happened a lot in high school. Many of my friends were hardcore into many extracurriculars, as well as accomplished musicians, artists, and painters.

4) People assuming were unathletic. My friends and myself were often demoted to JV/cut from sports teams simply because we were brown.

5) People asking us why we worship elephants. Or asking me how long it took to pray to all the gods.

....I could go on and on....

Old 07-26-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unexpected View Post
Yes, that is one of my faves. Talking louder does not make comprehension any easier.

Other things I've seen in the United States:

1) Willful mispronunciation of a name. It's okay if you mess it up the first time. But when you struggle with it, and then just give up, it comes across as very condescending.

2) Americans wearing saris to a formal indian event. This bothers me, but may not bother others - I find it akin to playing "dress up". It makes me feel slightly disrespected, because you view us as dolls, rather than people.

3) People judging us as math/science nerds, with no ability for creative thought. This happened a lot in high school. Many of my friends were hardcore into many extracurriculars, as well as accomplished musicians, artists, and painters.

4) People assuming were unathletic. My friends and myself were often demoted to JV/cut from sports teams simply because we were brown.

5) People asking us why we worship elephants. Or asking me how long it took to pray to all the gods.

....I could go on and on....
LOL!!!! I crack up whenever I hear someone getting louder and louder when they are speaking a different language than the person they are trying to communicate with. I did catch myself doing it once when in Eastern Europe. It really upset ME that I did it and I felt bad about it. I wasn't angry in the least but it comes across that way when one yells.

1. I get tongue tied even with English names/words. I would not say that everyone is "giving up" but more as a "help me" kind of plea as I "honestly can not say it". I really don't feel that it should be viewed as condescending as they are/were trying. I also would not say they are "willfully" not saying it properly. My daughter has a friend that the first few times I said his name I "nailed it". Now for some reason I can not say it to save my life. Not that I do not want to as I speak to him often. It annoys me that I can not get his name out right. I think this has more to do w/ how one is taught to speak the English language than it does one being condescending or whatever.

2. I guess I have been to the wrong formal events???? I have not seen anyone that is not Indian wear a sari. I feel the same way about those that come to Texas and think we all wear cowboy hats and boots and jeans. Except these people do it in a mocking fashion when they don a HUGE 10 gallon hat and a tacky pair of boots. Whereas the people you are referring to might be thinking they are doing it out of respect.

3. I'm also familiar with the flip side of this. The people that believe that all Indians are very smart. There are some just like there are in every ethnicity that are "dumb as a box of rocks". As for what you are saying, my daughter has friends in band, athletics, etc that are very athletic and musically talented from all walks of life and ethnic backgrounds. To try and pigeon hole ALL people into a certain criteria based on their ethnicity is just flat out wrong, imho.

4. LOL!!! I'm laughing because one of my daughters good friends is on a select soccer team and a star on the football team........ and he is Indian.

5. Goes with the Texas stereotype that we deal with. Asking us if we ride a horse to school/work? Do we have oil wells? Do we wear guns out in public and shot up the streets? I could go on and on and on with the really stupid questions. What is sad is the ones asking the questions about Texas and Texans LIVE IN THE SAME COUNTRY AS TEXAS! At least with Indians they came from a different country and the dumba....es asking the questions have probably never even left the country.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:30 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,684,683 times
Quote:

Believe it or not but most of them actually buy USED vehicles and there are several used car dealers that are not mainstream that they deal with. It is kind of the buddy system. A few might go and visit the new car dealer but most do not buy new from a dealer or even used from a major car brand dealer. They have small "back door" companies that they deal with. I know someone that worked for one of them for the high end cars. ..
As you say, it is networking. It does give you an unfair advantage. And buying a 2 yr car when lot of the depreciation done, is smart. If it helps, I know of 2 indian friends in plano who recently bought hi end cars - new, from the dealership, $450 or so over invoice and done! Both hated dealing with "flunkie" (their words) sales people of US-made car dealerships. Maybe, they were talked down to, as stan4 mentioned. They went with luxury Japanese/German brands partly because the sales people were better trained (dont know if it is true).

Quote:
...... Same goes for real estate. They have their own network and work within it. They might buy a house from a person that is non Indian but a lot of times they buy from other Indians.
When I hear my indian friends talk about buying houses, the schools are the #1 criteria and buying from other indians is almost never heard of. Would you buy a house from someone solely because s/he is of your background? Now, if thru network, they can get a fair price on a known property (inspectors often do not catch many problems) from another friend and reduce the 6% commissions, I do not blame them. As you know, there are many indians in newer towns like Allen or Mckinney or Frisco and when they moved there first, there were no indians to buy from.

Last edited by calmdude; 07-26-2010 at 10:43 AM..

Old 07-26-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
As you say, it is networking. It does give you an unfair advantage. And buying a used car when most of the depreciation done, is smart. If it helps, I know of 2 indian friends in plano who recently bought hi end cars - new, from the dealership, $450 or so over invoice and done! Both hated dealing with "flunkie" (their words) sales people of US-made car dealerships. Maybe, they were talked down to, as stan4 mentioned. They went with luxury Japanese/German brands partly because the sales people were better trained (dont know if it is true).
It IS true. I've bought many, MANY GM cars as well as German cars. Going into a BMW dealership is SOOOOO relaxed compared to going into a Ford, Toyota, Chevy dealership. It isa totally different experience. One that is more "relaxed" and calming in a sense. The WORST experience I ever had was at a Toyota & a Mazda dealership. Toyota: Salesman comes out and asks us when we plan on buying. My response: When we find the car we would like at the right price. He didn't even come back with the packet of information on the car we were looking at that we asked for. Dumb him as who knows if he could have given us a price we would have liked. Mazda: did all of the tricks in the book from wanting MY car keys before they would even talk to me. The mere mention of a "test drive" and they FREAKED like it was a foreign concept. My first experience in a BMW dealership and I went alone without my husband: I test drove THREE different BMW's including a model that was listed at $90K. Even AFTER I said I'd LOVE to have that model but my husband would not splurge that much the salesman offered me a test drive in it. I personally drove them and not the salesman with me just riding along. My husband went back to the dealership w/o my knowledge, spoke to the same salesman (he got the card from me) and bought me a brand new BMW as a surprise and even my dh said the salesman was very easy to deal with and he enjoyed the experience. At one GM Chevy dealer when we were looking for our Suburban the salesman offered the test drive and went to hand the keys to my husband who told him to give them to me as I'd be the one driving it. LOL! There IS a difference in how the two operate when it comes to high end vs more mainstream vehicles. My personal opinion is that those that go into the high end dealership already know the prices and options on the vehicles as well as everything else entailed with buying said car and the salesman does not have to "play games" with the buyers. The question I HATE the most at the mainstream dealerships is: "what do you want your payments to be?". I don't answer it and respond back with: "I want the FINAL sales price on the vehicle and am not concerned with the monthly payment".

Old 07-26-2010, 12:04 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,093,737 times
Closed for mod review. The assigned moderator team for this forum will be along shortly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas