Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 08:46 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,297,053 times

Advertisements

If I remember correctly isn't the Crystal Chandalier honky tonk in Lancaster...I had some good times there I can tell you...I wonder if its still there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2007, 06:03 PM

2 posts, read 6,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by romeoDNB View Post
After more investigating, this seems like a nice little suburb of Dallas. Anyone have any insight on this area? I'm 29 years old and I like the feel of the suburbs, but need to be close to the downtown area for potential bar/club hopping. I hope the crime rate is low here and hope they have dog friendly parks.
You do not want to live in Lancaster. I don't even like Lancaster and I live in Desoto. I don't even like Desoto. I am just stuck here. I been here all my life and Desoto been nothing but a big disappointment when it comes to amenities.
That has always been the biggest gripe about Desoto is the way Desoto handle things. Everything that has to do with what amenities that is here is all spread out through town and there isn't a whole lot of place to shop at which is pathetic considering this has always been DeSoto way of development when it was a population of 15,000 people back years ago. Now they are at 50,000 and they still don't have anything out here. You will have to run to one end of town to the other. Can you imagine. Run to the west side to shop at the Desoto Wal-Mart, run to the middle of the town 3 miles away to get to Starbucks, run to the other end of town just to get to Office Depot. Desoto has a nice walking trail through out the city by the creek but we have an out of control stray dog problem going on and unfortunately the popular dog to own in this town in Pit bull or pit mixes. I have stopped walking my dog on the trails for the fear of running into one because nobody around here wants to take responsibility of their pets.

Cedar Hill has just BOOM out of no where with all kinds of stores and restaurants and a brand new mall is being built at this moment. Cedar Hill has many nice parks as well. My advice is if you want to live on the south side. You should check into Cedar Hill.

Stay away from Lancaster and Desoto.

Old 05-14-2007, 06:05 PM

2 posts, read 6,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
If I remember correctly isn't the Crystal Chandalier honky tonk in Lancaster...I had some good times there I can tell you...I wonder if its still there.
Nope it isn't here anymore. They demolished it.

Old 05-14-2007, 06:06 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
Lancaster just voted down their 4th or 5th school bond election on Saturday. Not good at all. I'd be leary of Cedar Hill and what is going on w/ the development in Lake Ridge. Too many foreclosures, houses set on fire, etc.

Old 05-14-2007, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerriSoTerri View Post
Nope it isn't here anymore. They demolished it.

I am truly sad to hear that, a cowboy named Brent taught me to two step there...I had alot of fun there.

Old 05-14-2007, 09:13 PM

100 posts, read 455,431 times
Lake Ridge isn't the only palce to live in Cedar Hill. Foreclosures and burned down houses are happening everywhere in the DFW area and the country for that matter. It is sad that people are burning down houses, but that is the lack of responsibility of those investors. You can't lump an entire area in with people who bit off more than they could chew. Lake Ridge is still a nice area. If you move there make sure your finances are in order.

As I said previously come out and see the entire DFW area for yourself and make truly informed decision.

Old 05-15-2007, 12:59 PM

41 posts, read 281,990 times
WOW, thanks everyone for the updates! After talking to a couple people who have family or that lived in Dallas, they all had one thing in common...that was that they preferred any area from downtown Dallas up north is worth living.

So that rules out my scouting for the south of downtown Dallas area. My new work would be at the VA hospital located in southern Dallas. I guess I will have to find a place within downtown or north of it and face the dreaded commute.

Old 05-15-2007, 01:03 PM

Don't forget Arlington, I don't know what the commute is like but you don't have to live in North Dallas to be happy and safe...Mansfield was growing leaps and bounds as well. As far as the traffic is concerned, they highways in Dallas and Fort Worth are FAR superior to anything we have here in Florida...

Old 05-15-2007, 01:36 PM

1,560 posts, read 7,146,055 times
Don't give up completely on the southside. Waxahachie wouldn't be that bad of a commute. Certainly less than from Richardson or Addison.

Old 05-15-2007, 02:32 PM

313 posts, read 1,716,575 times
I'd live in Frisco and commute before I lived in questionable areas aka Garland
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas