U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 08:19 PM

3 posts, read 4,493 times
Everyone is complaining that Lancaster has a truck stop. Unfortunately, we don't because the truck stop is in the city of Dallas. The city of Lancaster begins two feet from the city sign which is right at the first red light. Once you cross into Lancaster the street name is North Dallas Ave. We do not have a street named Lancaster in Lancaster.. As for crime, every city in the state of TX has crime. But as far as I'm concerned, I want you all to think bad of Lancaster, that means less people we have to worry about moving into this area. As I have always said, " there are 3 things that do not discriminate (1) death (2) trouble (3) diseases. So you all can take it anyway you like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 06:48 AM

1,196 posts, read 1,951,105 times
Welcome to the Forum, CeCe5! You make some excellent points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeCe5 View Post
Everyone is complaining that Lancaster has a truck stop. Unfortunately, we don't because the truck stop is in the city of Dallas. The city of Lancaster begins two feet from the city sign which is right at the first red light. Once you cross into Lancaster the street name is North Dallas Ave. We do not have a street named Lancaster in Lancaster.
You are exactly right about the truck stops and street names. I made a similar point in an earlier post, but yours is much more detailed and right on target. Even with the incoming Dallas Logistics Hub project and the construction of warehouses and commercial facilities, they have intentionally been constructed near the interstate highways to limit the impact on residential neighborhoods. Big rigs definitely aren't barreling down Pleasant Run, Belt Line, or any other street in Lancaster that is meant to serve residential traffic.

Quote:
As for crime, every city in the state of TX has crime. But as far as I'm concerned, I want you all to think bad of Lancaster, that means less people we have to worry about moving into this area.
Right again, crime occurs everywhere. The bulk of crimes committed in Lancaster are petty, non-violent, or property-related, which is no different than other suburban cities in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. Violent, newsworthy crimes are a rarity here and the Lancaster police do a pretty good job of solving those cases as well as being quite visible throughout the community, which I see as a positive.

Quote:
But as far as I'm concerned, I want you all to think bad of Lancaster, that means less people we have to worry about moving into this area.
The secret already seems to be out. Reputation hasn't prevented Lancaster from being one of the fastest-growing communities in the county. Our location, reasonably priced homes, and attractive neighborhoods will continue to draw people here. Lancaster is a nice place to live and has a bright future.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:51 PM

16 posts, read 23,701 times
Smile Phew...Alot of information

I've enjoyed this forum!! Im looking to relocated to Dallas in May of 2009, and have just been overwhelmed witht he information I've recieved regarding areas to live in. A friend suggest Lancaster, but I was deterred after reading a few post concerning the city, but after reading your I've been rejuvenated. Im a middle class AA single mother of three and I'm currently looking for a lease to purchase option or a townhome. Any suggestions, and do you know anyhting about the school district PreK- 8th?

Thank you in Advance

Old 11-10-2008, 07:27 AM

Although a lot of negative things were said about Lancaster at the beginning of this thread, it is a nice community. As a single AA mom, you would be comfortable here. Lancaster and the other southern suburbs – Cedar Hill, DeSoto, and Glenn Heights are places that have sizable numbers of middle-class African-American families and are ethnically and economically diverse. Even though you haven't found employment yet, the commute from the southern suburbs to other areas like Downtown Dallas is less treacherous than it is in the northern suburbs. Also, you would have a larger pool of rentals to choose from within your price range.

Getting back to Lancaster. The city's sometimes negative reputation stems mostly from events that occurred in the 1990s. The demographic make-up of the city changed from 65% White and 30% Black in 1990 to 53% Black and 37% White in 2000. Despite the fact that most of the new people moving to the city had higher incomes and were better educated than the ones who left, such a rapid change was seen as problematic. Also, efforts to rebuild after a tornado devastated part of the city were hindered by quarreling among local government officials. This had an effect on the numbers of businesses opening here as well as home builders who decided to build their large subdivisions elsewhere. The city grew by only 17% during the 1990s, which is quite low in this area.

Today, the situation has improved overall. Lancaster's demographics have stabilized and it remains a solidly middle-class city. We have a well-run and responsive city government. New neighborhoods were constructed and the people began to move here. Even though the housing market slowed recently, Lancaster has added nearly 10,000 people to its population since the last census. We have the basics when it comes to businesses as the city has always been more of a bedroom community, but there has been progress in this area, too. There are quite a few mom-and-pop type establishments and a few major chain stores. The southern suburbs have a brand new regional mall in Cedar Hill, only a short drive from Lancaster and we are only a short drive from entertainment and other Dallas-Fort Worth area attractions.

The public schools in Lancaster don't have the best reputation to be honest, but all of them aren't bad. The relationship between the Superintendent and School Board continues to be tense. There was a budget shortfall that was discovered last month that could have lead to teacher layoffs and a cutting of some programs, but the teachers decided to take a pay cut which saved money and prevented the massive layoffs that occurred in Dallas. That gracious act earned my respect and made me proud to live in a district where the teachers put their students before themselves. The Superintendent is currently on paid leave and his future in that position is uncertain. When my family moved to the city recently, I was a bit apprehensive about having my younger brother attend the high school due to its reputation. In the end, it is pretty much like any other high school. Overall conduct has improved, there are good teachers who care, solid Advanced Placement/Gifted courses, and a new International Baccalaureate (IB) program. As with any school, you have the children who slack off and don't want to learn, but they are truly the minority. The district's seven elementary schools are okay, but a few do stand out. Houston Elementary School in northern Lancaster has long had a reputation as being one of the best schools in the district along with Pleasant Run Elementary in an older part of the city. West Main Elementary near the historic downtown district missed receiving the state rating of "Recognized" by one point on standardized tests administered last year. Lancaster Elementary is another good campus. Lancaster Middle School, which serves grades 6-8, has a new principal that has been praised for his job performance so far. Other educational options in Lancaster include Berne Academy, a small private K-12 school and two public charter schools – Vista Academy (grades K-2) and the highly reputable Life School, which serves students in grades K-5. There are plans for charter schools to open in the near future.

If there is anything else or any other questions about the Lancaster area, you can either post it here or send me a direct message and I will try to be of further assistance.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:02 AM

2,119 posts, read 3,497,273 times
Sorry if I offend anyone on here but I tell it liek it is......You will like Lancaster if your black. I have driven through there many times for work and I would say that its about 80% African American. It isnt a terrible area but its very segregated. If your more compfortable living around white people then move north to Plano, Addison, Grapevine, Lewisville, etc. I live in downtown right now in a Loft apartment but I am moving to Plano because I have a baby on the way. Plano (west of 75) and Allen are VERY nice areas. If you can stay in Collin county. It is much better than Dallas County.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
Sorry if I offend anyone on here but I tell it liek it is......You will like Lancaster if your black. I have driven through there many times for work and I would say that its about 80% African American. It isnt a terrible area but its very segregated. If your more compfortable living around white people then move north to Plano, Addison, Grapevine, Lewisville, etc. I live in downtown right now in a Loft apartment but I am moving to Plano because I have a baby on the way. Plano (west of 75) and Allen are VERY nice areas. If you can stay in Collin county. It is much better than Dallas County.
I'm sorry to inform you that Lancaster is not 80% African American. It was 53% African American in 2000 and about 58% now. Whites make up 30% of the population. There is also a notable number of Hispanics. That is not segregated, thats ethnically diverse. This is a tolerant community. When driving through did you ever stop at a place like a grocery store or Wal-Mart, businesses which all residents frequent? The places you mention seem to be much more "segregated" than Lancaster.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:13 AM

14,874 posts, read 21,731,196 times
Quote:
Plano (west of 75) and Allen are VERY nice areas. If you can stay in Collin county. It is much better than Dallas County.
This right here says it all. The area EAST of 75 is actually, imho, MUCH nicer than the areas West of 75. I like downtown Plano (West of 75) and I REALLY like the area of Plano that is FAR East and Parker. This area is actually home to MANY top execs in the Dallas area. If it's good enough for the prez of TI, I'd say it is good enough for most. Oh, and the East side is much more "laid back" and not as congested. It's not cookie cutter neighborhoods piled up on top of each other though and the houses actually have real backyards.

OH, and there are VERY NICE areas of Dallas County as well

Old 11-10-2008, 11:08 AM

2,119 posts, read 3,497,273 times
OK I exageratted the African american Demographic. Its about the same percent of african Americans in Harlem New York at 53%. If you drive through the Desoto, Lancaster, Cedar hill area you will see that the majority of the people there are African American. If you like that then its a great place. If you dont then it isnt a great place. The African American population has boomed in the areas mentioned the past 10 years and it is rising.

Last edited by DaveG99; 11-10-2008 at 11:23 AM..

Old 11-10-2008, 12:04 PM

869 posts, read 1,839,157 times
Quote:
OK I exageratted
You can say that again.

Old 11-10-2008, 12:35 PM

First, what do Harlem's demographics have to do with anything? Second, while Lancaster and DeSoto are majority African American, Cedar Hill has a White plurality. Demographics change everywhere. No place in the Dallas-Fort Worth area is the same as it was twenty years ago, especially since the whole area has grown so much. If you think that the demographics are not going to change in Collin County then you are mistakened. As momof2dfw alluded to previously, Collin County is not the only nice place in the Dallas-Fort Worth Area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas