U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2007, 10:32 AM

7 posts, read 84,141 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have a child attending or know someone who attended George Bannerman Dealey Montessori Academy in DISD? I would love to hear thoughts on this Magnet school in DISD any good/bad experiences would be helpful.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2007, 07:10 PM

1 posts, read 9,519 times
did anyone answer you about Dealey?

Old 07-06-2007, 03:19 PM

7 posts, read 84,141 times
No do you have information on the school?

Old 11-25-2007, 01:50 PM

47 posts, read 147,697 times
Default Dealey School Experience???

Are there any parents with first hand experience with Dealey School? We are trying to research options for our three year old when we relocate to Dallas next year. We won't move until the end of July 2008 but realize most pre-schools register in Feb.

Anyone know about the registration process for this school? Tuition cost? Difficult to get your four year old into the program???? How young do they enroll children?

THANK YOU!!!!

Old 11-25-2007, 02:05 PM

6,585 posts, read 22,802,197 times
Did you see the website about how to apply for a magnet program in DISD?

Dallas ISD-Magnet School Application Process (http://www.dallasisd.org/parents/magnet/ - broken link)

Old 11-25-2007, 04:53 PM

47 posts, read 147,697 times
Thank you for the link- very helpful.

Just not sure how one registers when we won't even have a physical address to list. I have a whole new level of sympathy for people relocating!!

One pre-school informed us we can't even get on a "list" until we've toured the school and then your rank is based upon when you visited the school. So in other words we'll be low on the list as back in August we didn't even know we were moving. The city we live in just doesn't have rankings!!!!

Another public school elem. informed us they ONLY do school tours the first Tuesday of the month with no exceptions. When we informed the school we were living outside of the state of Texas and didn't know if we could coordinate job interviews around the first Tues. of the month she informed us this was the only option- in other words if we didn't happen to be in Dallas the first Tues. of the month we couldn't tour the school!!!!! Unbelieveable- I'm a former teacher and never would we have been this inflexible with an out of town potential family. I contacted the district office and they said they'd get back to us. That was two months ago!

Old 11-25-2007, 05:35 PM

6,585 posts, read 22,802,197 times
Dallas ISD isn't the most organized and efficient school district around that's for sure. The vast majority of people who attend DISD schools don't give the schools much thought. They just move into the district and go where ever it is they are supposed to go.

I worked with a lady who had kids in the other montessori school in DISD (this was 10+ years ago) and she loved loved loved it. Then her Section 8 housing (low income) situation changed and she had to move across the street. She thought nothing of it. When August rolled around she showed up at the montessori school where they told her when she moved across the street from one apartment complex to another she went into an entirely different school system (Richardson ISD). She had no idea. SO her kids lost their spots in the montessori school and she had to send her kids to Richardson ISD.

That's a bummer about not getting a tour except for certain days. Have you bought a house yet or what? How come you already picked Dealy? Have you called Dealy to ask them what the criteria is for Pre-K? Typically public preschool in Texas is only for low income, non English speaking kids only. Is Dealy different?

There are lots of private preschools in Dallas.

Old 11-26-2007, 12:46 AM

4,136 posts, read 13,431,564 times
"Just not sure how one registers when we won't even have a physical address to list"

Have you thought about opening a PO box to use as an address?

If they require that you provide anything else than a PO Box, do you have any friends or family that live in Dallas? I cannot believe that they would not work with you on the dates of your visit. Moderator cut: no soliciting allowed

Last edited by da jammer; 11-26-2007 at 06:01 AM..

Old 11-26-2007, 09:17 AM

875 posts, read 805,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Dallas ISD isn't the most organized and efficient school district around that's for sure. The vast majority of people who attend DISD schools don't give the schools much thought. They just move into the district and go where ever it is they are supposed to go.

I worked with a lady who had kids in the other montessori school in DISD (this was 10+ years ago) and she loved loved loved it. Then her Section 8 housing (low income) situation changed and she had to move across the street. She thought nothing of it. When August rolled around she showed up at the montessori school where they told her when she moved across the street from one apartment complex to another she went into an entirely different school system (Richardson ISD). She had no idea. SO her kids lost their spots in the montessori school and she had to send her kids to Richardson ISD.

That's a bummer about not getting a tour except for certain days. Have you bought a house yet or what? How come you already picked Dealy? Have you called Dealy to ask them what the criteria is for Pre-K? Typically public preschool in Texas is only for low income, non English speaking kids only. Is Dealy different?

There are lots of private preschools in Dallas.
I'm confused......how does someone who qualifies for section 8 housing even qualify financially for a montessori school?

To the OP, have you researched Montessori's curriculum? My step son attended one in northern CA for 3 years. When we put him in public school, he wasn't prepared at all.

The cost back then (mid-90's) was $6500 per year during the normal school year, and after hours child-care was additional.

Old 11-26-2007, 09:24 AM

2,259 posts, read 8,782,630 times
I think in this case, the Montessori in question is run by the Dallas school district, kind of like a magnet school. It's not a private Montessori.

I can understand the touring situation only available on certain days as it can be a distraction to the students/teachers as well has having to have someone available at all times to give tours. But in the case of someone moving in from out of state, I would think a plan B would be in effect for those parents wishing to see the school when they are in town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or