Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2009, 08:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,696 times

Advertisements

Hello all......just a quick question. What determines residency in the DFW area. My family and I are moving to the Dallas area summer 2010 and I am planning to go to school (college). In order to get grants one would assume to need residency in the state. Is it a drivers license or 6mos to a year stay? Just trying to figure out what's needed.

Thanks in advance for the help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 11:22 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,798,569 times
Not sure about TX. In 3 states where I am familiar with the process, you have to show proof that you lived there for 1 yr before you can get in-state tuition. Proof like a utility bill, for ex.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:27 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,502,046 times
I googled it.

"Establishing Texas Residency:

Under Texas state law, an applicant or enrolled student is classified either as a resident of Texas, a nonresident, or a foreign student. Residency for admission and tuition purposes at a public college or university in Texas is different from residency for voting or taxing purposes.

To qualify as a Texas resident, an individual must reside in Texas for one year and establish a domicile in Texas prior to enrollment. An applicant or student who is claimed as a dependent on a parent's most recent federal tax return will be classified based on the parent's qualifications for residency."

Old 11-12-2009, 08:13 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,765,902 times
What if you don't have a utility bill because you live with your relatives? Will an affidavit suffice?

I know one can enroll children in the public school by way of affidavit if the parent doesn't have a lease or utility bill.

Old 11-12-2009, 10:01 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,336,338 times
What about the second year of being a foreign student?

(Sorry for the thread hi-jack)

I'm looking to try and get in to UTD over the summer, and I know first years tuition will be murder, but after a year, does it go down to the "in state" one?

Old 11-13-2009, 06:14 AM

2,346 posts, read 6,923,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
What about the second year of being a foreign student?

(Sorry for the thread hi-jack)

I'm looking to try and get in to UTD over the summer, and I know first years tuition will be murder, but after a year, does it go down to the "in state" one?
I believe the answer is no, it doesn't go down.

Also, if you are a foreign national, it may not even *be* possible for you to establish Texas residency. You will want to review the provided link very carefully. (The link is from UT, but applies to all Texas public universities.)

http://www.utexas.edu/student/admiss...cy/resfaq.html

Old 11-13-2009, 06:43 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,827,062 times
call the registrar's office--they know because it deals with these questions every day

some grants don't depend on residency status however--so you could apply and receive aid there to apply to tuition/living expenses
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: