Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 03:54 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,718,846 times

Advertisements

If you will notice on that map that most of the action is to the north, south and west of Dallas. To the east hardly anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2007, 04:09 PM

149 posts, read 472,156 times
thanks for the great site!

Old 05-14-2007, 04:26 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,203,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriumphOfTheSprint View Post
Here is an useful website that has tracked tornado paths from 1950 to 2005 (F2 and greater) onto Google Earth. You can input your zip code and see the paths on the map. What's interesting is that it emphasizes just how much area is untouched by tornadoes over the last 50+ years.

http://climate.engin.umich.edu/tornadopaths/ (broken link)

Enjoy!
That's a wonderful link, the best I've seen yet. Thanks a bunch. Now we can check any day of any year and see what happened anywhere in the country.

To whomever is viewing it, be sure to check out the various days and years as some years, etc. are worse than others. What pops up when you click the link is only for one day. I'm sure everyone knows that but at first, I was confused. I've been teaching math to teenagers all day, and I'm half brain dead.

Old 05-14-2007, 04:29 PM

39 posts, read 172,032 times
Remember its Mother Nature, and never try to fool mother Nature.

Old 05-14-2007, 04:38 PM

1,101 posts, read 4,316,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post
To whomever is viewing it, be sure to check out the various days and years as some years, etc. are worse than others. What pops up when you click the link is only for one day. I'm sure everyone knows that but at first, I was confused. I've been teaching math to teenagers all day, and I'm half brain dead.
Once you put in your zip code, it changes to cumulative for all days, instead of a single day. It's a little confusing

Old 05-14-2007, 04:43 PM

5,640 posts, read 24,873,914 times
Quote:
... Now we can check any day of any year and see what happened anywhere in the country.
Not really true. There is no system that will tell you there is a tornado but a human sighting. That means whenever or wherever there were not people calling in sightings there will be no record. I would not trust records in rural areas forty or more years ago... there were not that many spotters or farmers anxious to make a LD call to the authorities to report a funnel cloud that reached the ground.

Old 05-14-2007, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Not really true. There is no system that will tell you there is a tornado but a human sighting. That means whenever or wherever there were not people calling in sightings there will be no record. I would not trust records in rural areas forty or more years ago... there were not that many spotters or farmers anxious to make a LD call to the authorities to report a funnel cloud that reached the ground.
That is also the thought that comes to mind when you see those supposed tornados that were on the ground for over 30 miles that happened over 40 years ago, even 20 as technology has changed. There is nothing to say that it was not in fact several twisters that were from the same storm. You'll notice most of them were in very rural areas or what once were rural areas. Not too many years ago any kind of "wind" damage was suspected to be from a tornado and it may have been classified as such especially if it happened at night. Now it is not uncommon for people to first report it was a tornado but when all things are checked out it was actually straight line winds that did the damage.

Old 05-14-2007, 04:56 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,203,228 times
Okay, I give up. I'll just go back to my first thought from 28 years ago and let it still hang with me today, "Texas has tornadoes, bad storms, hail, lightening, floods, etc. and one never knows what area will be hit next." "They may be F0s, they may be F5s and whatever there are, we can be certain they'll be somewhere in the state." And I'll be certain to be in my storm cellar when I get the urge.

I have some tornado photos of one near my home in 2000. I'll try to post them later on just for the "hail" of it.

This is cool with Dallas' zip of 75201. Maybe I should post this for futuretexan, but I guess he'll see it.

http://climate.engin.umich.edu/tornadopaths/?zip=75201 (broken link)

Last edited by KewGee; 05-14-2007 at 05:24 PM..

Old 05-14-2007, 05:06 PM

1,101 posts, read 4,316,863 times
Quote:
"They may be F0s, they may be F5s and whatever there are, we can be certain they'll be somewhere in the state."
And you can be certain that a trailer park will be nearby

Old 05-14-2007, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriumphOfTheSprint View Post
And you can be certain that a trailer park will be nearby
That is it right there in a nutshell. If you don't want to be hit by a tornado then do not live in a trailer or anywhere near a trailer. For some reason they have homing devices built into them that attract tornados. Sure as anything a tornado will miss every brick house for miles around but one trailer sitting by itself in the middle of the brick homes and WHAM! It gets hit and flipped, turned over, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas