U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2009, 11:41 AM

2 posts, read 5,441 times

Advertisements

Ok, here's my relocation story city-data friends: I've finally convinced my husband to leave Charlotte, NC. I can't say that I've hated every minute of being in Charlotte but I have been ready to move since day one. We've been here for 4 years and it's a great up and coming city but the cons for me (not being near friends and family) out weigh the pros (good cost of living and ability to earn a good salary). I've visited friends in Dallas and really feel like this would be a good next step for us. I figure it's a big city, you can choose between suburbia and urban living, major sports, good cost of living (so i've been told), and a good job market (also, so i've been told)...much like Charlotte. The difference for us would be we have friends and family in Dallas and would be closer to my home state, New Mexico. So we're both on board to moving to Dallas but now here comes the hard work of making the relocation happen and hopefully you all can help me with this!!

My husband is huge on stabillity, so I want to do everything I can to make this transition as smooth and easy as possible for him. His job will transfer to Plano so our first big obsticle is covered. I also work, but won't be focused on finding a job for another few months, closer to the time we move (may/june). What I am focused on now is finding info on:

A. Creating a short list of areas of town to live so that the next time I visit I can have direction in my search.
*We live in the suburbs now, so i'm not opposed to it, but we're in our late 20's w/no kids, so this time around would like to find something a little more urban/chic, with a young professional vibe but not overly trendy and clubby. A walking neighborhood w/nearby park would be cool but not opposed to driving. We plan to rent a house/condo/or apt and would like to be in the $900-$1100 range. I will most likely seek jobs downtown so a good location that will be a reasonable commute to Plano or downtown is a plus.
B. Anyone who can share their story about moving from state to state.
*When we came to Charlotte we had nothing, now we have a house full of furniture and two cars. Can anyone share their experience of how they made their relocation successful and stress free or maybe what they would do over.

I'm sure I'll have more questions as my journey progresses...but any help would be appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 04:33 PM

73 posts, read 250,114 times
We moved to Dallas about a year ago from Washington DC area, and based on what you've described, here's my two cents:

Given your price range, Richardson would be a place to add to the list. It's not as expensive as Plano, from what I've seen, and is a bit further south, so closer to Dallas. When we moved, we stayed in Richardson for a year, but being in the late 20s/early 30s, we wanted to have a more urban lifestyle, so have since moved down to the Knox/Henderson area (around exit 2 off of 75), and love it. Finding a rental in your price range in that area may be a bit harder, but may be possible in one of the older homes being rented by owner or maybe looking at the apartments in the Village community. We like the Knox/Henderson area better because we can walk to more things, and just the feel is a bit younger.

Old 11-13-2009, 07:34 AM

2 posts, read 5,441 times
Thank you for your response. I've read several post on here about the Knox/Henderson area. It seems like something we would like. You mentioned it may be harder to find stuff in our price range in that area. What would you say is a reasonable price range for rentals in this area? Our price range is not set in stone just a range of what I assumed would be a good start. The older homes you mentioned, are these cute bungalow homes or just older homes in the area? Do you know of any good internet resources I can look for rentals (houses/condos/apts) specifically in the knox/henderson neighborhood??

Thank you again!!

Old 11-20-2009, 10:59 AM

71 posts, read 152,011 times
i really like Charlotte, its up & coming and thus not sprawl galoire like Dallas. as far as an urban lifestyle you will be hard pressed to find that in the suburbs. That's why i liked the uptown area of Charlotte. Not overly priced but everything is within a radius & relatively easy to commute. Though the street system could be better w/more freeways and expressways.

However if your husband will be in Plano, I doubt you will want to make that commute from downtown on 75 or the N Dallas Tollway. Most DFW folks typically live in the vicinity of their jobs b/c of traffic mess. If you're working in Plano, you might want to re-think the commute thing by living in downtown. JMO

Old 11-20-2009, 01:16 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,093,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2leavehere View Post
Thank you for your response. I've read several post on here about the Knox/Henderson area. It seems like something we would like. You mentioned it may be harder to find stuff in our price range in that area. What would you say is a reasonable price range for rentals in this area? Our price range is not set in stone just a range of what I assumed would be a good start. The older homes you mentioned, are these cute bungalow homes or just older homes in the area? Do you know of any good internet resources I can look for rentals (houses/condos/apts) specifically in the knox/henderson neighborhood??
Thank you again!!
Knox-Henderson is one street and it is divided by Central Expressway (75). The west side is called Knox and the east side is called Henderson. The vibe changes as you go from one side to the other. Knox is very upscale and it borders ritzy Highland Park. Henderson has lots of upscale restaurants, bars, antique shops, etc... but it has a more bohemian look and character than Knox.

On the Knox side there is a very well located apartment communitity called Gables Knoxbridge http://www.gables.com/gablesliving/c...CommunityId=54 and it sits right next to the Katy Trail http://www.katytraildallas.org/site/PageServer which is a great location if you like to walk/run/roller blade/bicycle... There will be lots of restaurants and retail establishments that you could walk to at this location and you should be able to find a 1BR in your price range. On the Henderson side, there has been a lot of new apartment construction in the last few years. Here are 2 that I can remember the names of: Dallas Texas Apartments - Home - Easton Apartments and The Belmont Apartments in Dallas, TX | Apartment Homes for Rent. The Easton is about 4 years old and the Belmont is brand new so you might find a good deal there since they are not fully occupied yet.

As for houses in the neighborhood, those would primarily be on the Henderson side of the freeway. There are quite a few 1930's bungalow type homes and occassionally you might find one to rent. I would guess that most would be at least $1500/month on the streets near Henderson @ 75. Whether you live on the Knox side or the Henderson side, you really can't go wrong. Both are very walkable and provide easy access to Uptown and Downtown.

Last edited by FarNorthDallas; 11-20-2009 at 01:47 PM.. Reason: deleted realtor's website

Old 11-22-2009, 08:05 PM
DBF

78 posts, read 162,952 times
Were are doing the reverse of you....moving from Plano to the Charlotte area this summer. I am originally from Chicago but we have now lived here for 23 + years and will miss it. We work and live in Plano...but it is a HUGE area. Legacy Town Center (Tollway and Legacy) has kind of an urban feel and would be a somewhat easy commute to downtown if you ended up working there. Where in Plano will your husband be working? That actually makes a bit of a difference too. The Knox Henderson area mentioned in other posts is a neat area but the commute can be bad...several of my coworkers moved there for the atmosphere but find the drive not work the location.

Speaking of Charlotte - do you know anything about the Tega Cay area?

Good luck with your move.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:36 PM

2 posts, read 3,513 times
Funny! My son and his wife are relocating from Dallas to Charlotte! They live in Grapevine, which is just between Dallas and Ft. Worth--just the type of suburb you may be looking for. Trendy little town, lots to do, and convenient to everything. They are selling their house, which is in a lake-front community there. They also have 2 horses that will move with them...so, my question to you is: What area within 15 miles of Charlotte would be less expensive and where they could keep horses??? Thanks! Will answer more of your questions if you have any.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:05 PM

29 posts, read 46,916 times
I have lived in Quee* City and I am tired of that area. CPCC was alright. N Tryon was ok, but I got sick of how backwards people are down there. I hope DFW isn't as backwards nor thin-skinned either.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:31 PM

4 posts, read 11,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2leavehere View Post
Ok, here's my relocation story city-data friends: I've finally convinced my husband to leave Charlotte, NC. I can't say that I've hated every minute of being in Charlotte but I have been ready to move since day one. We've been here for 4 years and it's a great up and coming city but the cons for me (not being near friends and family) out weigh the pros (good cost of living and ability to earn a good salary). I've visited friends in Dallas and really feel like this would be a good next step for us. I figure it's a big city, you can choose between suburbia and urban living, major sports, good cost of living (so i've been told), and a good job market (also, so i've been told)...much like Charlotte. The difference for us would be we have friends and family in Dallas and would be closer to my home state, New Mexico. So we're both on board to moving to Dallas but now here comes the hard work of making the relocation happen and hopefully you all can help me with this!!

My husband is huge on stabillity, so I want to do everything I can to make this transition as smooth and easy as possible for him. His job will transfer to Plano so our first big obsticle is covered. I also work, but won't be focused on finding a job for another few months, closer to the time we move (may/june). What I am focused on now is finding info on:

A. Creating a short list of areas of town to live so that the next time I visit I can have direction in my search.
*We live in the suburbs now, so i'm not opposed to it, but we're in our late 20's w/no kids, so this time around would like to find something a little more urban/chic, with a young professional vibe but not overly trendy and clubby. A walking neighborhood w/nearby park would be cool but not opposed to driving. We plan to rent a house/condo/or apt and would like to be in the $900-$1100 range. I will most likely seek jobs downtown so a good location that will be a reasonable commute to Plano or downtown is a plus.
B. Anyone who can share their story about moving from state to state.
*When we came to Charlotte we had nothing, now we have a house full of furniture and two cars. Can anyone share their experience of how they made their relocation successful and stress free or maybe what they would do over.

I'm sure I'll have more questions as my journey progresses...but any help would be appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance!!
Try Uptown Dallas around McKinney Ave area, or Victory Park area. It is literally in Downtown Dallas, so something in the middle would be somewhere in Addison.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:36 AM

3,325 posts, read 5,114,972 times
Quote:
*We live in the suburbs now, so i'm not opposed to it, but we're in our late 20's w/no kids, so this time around would like to find something a little more urban/chic, with a young professional vibe but not overly trendy and clubby. A walking neighborhood w/nearby park would be cool but not opposed to driving. We plan to rent a house/condo/or apt and would like to be in the $900-$1100 range.
We are in the same position as you. Check out the areas near White Rock Lake--Lakewood, Casa Linda, Little Forest Hills, etc. Others will be able to suggest more. White Rock Lake is one of the best places to run/bike in Dallas. (and there are few)

I've found some homes in the M-Streets near Lower Greenville--very cute area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or