U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 01:54 PM

2 posts, read 6,118 times
Default Brick Choice for a new home

Hello,

Does the brick & stone choice for a new home matter in the long run?
Looks like the brick we like is used by almost all homes with the same floorplan/elevation that we are looking at.
Is it ok to go away from this trend?

Also which brick would be better maintenance-wise? Western Sunset or Aztec Blend?

Thanks in advice for any advice!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 07:59 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,931,616 times
Brick by itself doesn't make the appearance of the home. You need to see if you want to do the buff mortar that may be a standard by your builder. Lower end builders consider it an upgrade.

The 2 you mentioned are styles to particular brick either Bilco, Acme or Royal. Drive around the neighborhood and see which one you like or not like.

I personally don't like the grey or white brick at all. So yes in the long run it would make a difference I think.

Naima

Old 11-17-2009, 08:56 PM

14,023 posts, read 9,198,758 times
Boral brick. It's made in Muskogee, OK. Most of the rest are from Mexico.

You get what you pay for.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:36 AM

3,665 posts, read 7,299,830 times
If found the best way to select brick and elevations is to drive around the neighborhood to see what you like. Sometimes you have to go to a entirely different subdivision to see some more choices. I live in Mesquite but found the brick I wanted from a house in Rowlett. The owner first thought I was strange but was really cool once he found out I was building the same house and really liked his brick color. I also hate white and gray brick. It's hard to pick the right brick from a sample board.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:51 AM

10,007 posts, read 12,863,839 times
Is brick the common facade of choice in the Dallas area? Or are the homes made of brick? I ask because in much of the South West brick is only a facade and the homes are made from wood framing with normally stucko exteriors. Brick usually is used for accent after the home is built.

Old 11-18-2009, 02:45 PM

14,874 posts, read 22,399,314 times
I've had people knock on my door that were building in all different areas and even HP to inquire about my brick. Funny thing is two friends have the same brick but it does NOT look like it at all. The trim color, mortar and batch make a difference. You can find the same color of brick but it looks different because of those. Driving around is one of the best ways though.

Yes, the brick is only a facade. There is a brick ledge on the foundation for them to lay the bricks but the actual structural support is stick built (wood framing). The brick isn't laid until later after it is framed.

I have to agree that the two worst colors to pick for brick are the whites and grays. YUCK! It limits the trim color options greatly. My parents had a house that had the white/gray brick color and after a few years it was icky.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:00 PM

212 posts, read 805,415 times
I actually have the Boral Aztec Blend on my house and my neighbors have (I think)Western Sunset. I like them both, but prefer Aztec Blend just because I like a really red brick, and the western sunset is more of a pinkish orange hue. Just my own personal preference.
The one thing I didn't realize when choosing the brick- Aztec Blend (and Western Sunset) is an irregularly shaped brick. I chose based on color, and didn't realize the shape until it was already up on my house! It wasn't what I expected, I thought it would be much more uniform, but I've learned to like it.

I'm with everyone else that hates white and grey brick. My husband and I both breathed a sigh of relief when the building on our street was done and none of our neighbors had chosen that color so we wouldn't have to look at it every day ;P There are about 300 houses in my neighborhood, and maybe 10 or less with that color brick. It's clearly the least popular choice!

Old 11-18-2009, 09:41 PM

2,182 posts, read 3,988,976 times
We drove around our neighborhood and a couple of other Sotherby neighbor hoods looking at brick, stone, mortar combos. Wrote down the addresses of the houses we liked and had the design center pull them up. Turns out we pretty much kept picking the same two bricks with one stone and mortar combo.

THEN at the last minute they discontinued our brick and I was going to have to choose from these tiny little samples at the design center. OH HECK NO! Not after all that research. We ended up at Packer Brick that afternoon looking at whole wall displays. We chose a "new to the line-up" brick and are the only ones with it in our Phase.

But I still think we did the right thing by picking our original brick/stone combo that way. heck we did the same with our ceramic tile as well. :-)

Old 11-19-2009, 08:48 AM

4,239 posts, read 7,588,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanik9 View Post
Hello,
Also which brick would be better maintenance-wise? Western Sunset or Aztec Blend?

Thanks in advice for any advice!!
DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT USE WESTERN SUNSET!!!

Boral just took the Western Sunset completely off my brand new home and I was allowed to pick a new brick. It was crumbling all around us. It's a very "glassy" brick and will break with the slightest touch. They redid our threshold, front door and back, twice, and each time, the bricks broke again. They redid our front porch, still looked bad...

There is too much gypsum in the brick, and the Boral manager in my area finally approved a rebrick, along with our builder. We've been in the house since April and noticed it before we moved in, but they shrugged it off. It got worse and worse, and took 5 months to get them to agree to tear off the brick, but they just finished rebricking the ENTIRE house, 3900 sqft, last week.

It was a HUGE mess!! We chose Aztec Blend to replace the Western Sunset. It's a very pretty color, though I don't like the design of the brick, but my husband does.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:50 AM

4,239 posts, read 7,588,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Is brick the common facade of choice in the Dallas area? Or are the homes made of brick? I ask because in much of the South West brick is only a facade and the homes are made from wood framing with normally stucko exteriors. Brick usually is used for accent after the home is built.
Houses are made from a wood frame. Brick is a veneer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas