U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-18-2009, 10:35 AM

2,231 posts, read 4,061,236 times

Advertisements

This is the Dallas thread.

It is populated by people who prefer Dallas ove Houston.

If we thought Houston was better, we'd live in Houston. But we don't live in Houston, we live in Dallas.

Ergo, we think Dallas (DFW) is better than Houston.

We are not ashamed of our opinion.

In fact, we are ready, willing and eager to explain just how Dallas is superior to Houston.

If you want a contrary view, go to the Houston thread.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 11:02 AM

165 posts, read 226,858 times
Default Differences Are Negligible

As someone not originally from Texas who now lives in Houston but spends a whole lot of time in Dallas proper, I think Texans in general split hairs over the differences between the two cities. Both have comparably strong economies right now and are attracting a lot of immigrants--both foreign and domestic. Both have ample entertainment options, plenty of relatively affordable high quality housing stock, and a fair amount of decent public schools. Neither has overwhelming natural beauty in a close proximity (how many large cities do?) Both climates suck during the summer if you don't like heat.

The advantages of living in one over the other are really small. I think you can have a high quality of life in either place right now despite what the folks on the east and west coast media say about Texas.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:56 AM

2 posts, read 2,845 times
hey all i have to say about the fat people thing is that fat people are not bad people, they know where the good tastin food is at.......Houston lol. really though there is a lot of good food there

Old 12-18-2009, 01:49 PM

16,008 posts, read 26,141,305 times
kittyhawk if you were from Texas you would know that we consider Dallas and Houston worlds apart.

Old 12-18-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
kittyhawk if you were from Texas you would know that we consider Dallas and Houston worlds apart.
I know you do which is exactly why I chimed in to give you my perspective. And I know, being a Dallas board, that you and your friends can give me a 100 reasons why the quality of life is higher in DFW than in Houston and vice versa on the Houston board. Well, I'm telling you that I don't think it is. I think a lot Dallasites and Houstonians think so because they are so competitive and try to differentiate themselves from one another. One example from the this thread is the argument over who has more museums. It's obvious that neither region is lacking in quality cultural outlets so why argue the point if you have 20 vs 25. Splitting hairs, I tell ya.

NYC and Dallas or Boston and Houston are world's apart. Houston and Dallas are only hair's apart.

Old 12-18-2009, 03:51 PM

16,008 posts, read 26,141,305 times
OK then Dallas is Jay Sebring and Houston is SuperCuts.

Old 12-18-2009, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyhawk View Post
I know you do which is exactly why I chimed in to give you my perspective. And I know, being a Dallas board, that you and your friends can give me a 100 reasons why the quality of life is higher in DFW than in Houston and vice versa on the Houston board. Well, I'm telling you that I don't think it is. I think a lot Dallasites and Houstonians think so because they are so competitive and try to differentiate themselves from one another. One example from the this thread is the argument over who has more museums. It's obvious that neither region is lacking in quality cultural outlets so why argue the point if you have 20 vs 25. Splitting hairs, I tell ya.
It's not 20 vs 25, it's more like 12 for DFW vs 3 or 4 for Houston. For art museums.

Science museums? Houston has one, DFW has 3, 4, or 5, depending on how you define them.

Zoos? Houston has 1. DFW has the Dallas zoo, the FW zoo, the Dallas World Zoo and Aquarium. That is a real advantage of DFW over Houston.

Why defend Dallas? Because Houston boasts, falsely, that it has more museums than Dallas. It's such an easy falsehood, on Houston's part, to refute.

Why refute it? Because the public that reads these threads for relocate information deserves to know the truth. If I were trying to decide between cities, I'd need this information.

Old 12-18-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
OK then Dallas is Jay Sebring and Houston is SuperCuts.
Ha! Well, that's very West Plano-ish of you (or Woodlands-esque for the Houston board). Touche'.

Old 12-18-2009, 04:03 PM

So, what do you think? Does the public deserve accurate information when they visit this forum?

Old 12-18-2009, 04:05 PM

659 posts, read 723,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
It's not 20 vs 25, it's more like 12 for DFW vs 3 or 4 for Houston.

Why defend Dallas? Because Houston boasts, falsely, that it has more museums than Dallas. It's such an easy falsehood, on Houston's part, to refute.

Why refute it? Because the public that reads these threads for relocate information deserves to know the truth.
The following are just in the Houston Museum District itself!

The Houston Natural Science Museum is the most visited museum in Texas. See Go Texas website.
[CENTER]Buffalo Soldiers National Museum
Byzantine Fresco Chapel Museum
Children's Museum of Houston
Contemporary Arts Museum Houston
Czech Center Museum Houston
The Health Museum
Holocaust Museum Houston
Houston Center for Contemporary Craft
Houston Center for Photography
[CENTER] [/CENTER]
Houston Museum of Natural Science
Houston Zoo
The John C. Freeman Weather Museum
The Jung Center of Houston
Lawndale Art Center
The Menil Collection
Museum of Fine Arts, Houston
Rice University Art Gallery
The Rothko Chapel
[/CENTER]

http://www.houstonmuseumdistrict.org/siteimages/border-spacer-trans.gif (broken link)
[
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas