U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-18-2009, 04:29 PM

165 posts, read 226,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
Because Houston boasts, falsely, that it has more museums than Dallas. It's such an easy falsehood, on Houston's part, to refute.
My post didn't indicate that Houston had more museums than DFW so your refutation was completely unnecessary. When it comes to museums, quality is more important than quanity anyway. Where is the Children's Museum in Dallas? The room in Fair Park doesn't count.

The mood expressed in your posts proves my point to a tea. You are quibbling about insignificant items as they relate to quality of life. Both are huge metros with a lot to offer. If you can find something in DFW, you can find it, or something close to it in Houston as well. Now--please don't give me a list of insignificant things you can find in DFW that aren't in Houston--else someone from the Houston board will come over here and make their own list...
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 04:45 PM

16,005 posts, read 26,121,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyhawk View Post
Ha! Well, that's very West Plano-ish of you (or Woodlands-esque for the Houston board). Touche'.
Calling anyone "West Plano-ish" is an insult in Dallas!

Old 12-18-2009, 05:00 PM

2,231 posts, read 4,058,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyhawk View Post
My post didn't indicate that Houston had more museums than DFW so your refutation was completely unnecessary. When it comes to museums, quality is more important than quanity anyway. Where is the Children's Museum in Dallas? The room in Fair Park doesn't count.

The mood expressed in your posts proves my point to a tea. You are quibbling about insignificant items as they relate to quality of life. Both are huge metros with a lot to offer. If you can find something in DFW, you can find it, or something close to it in Houston as well. Now--please don't give me a list of insignificant things you can find in DFW that aren't in Houston--else someone from the Houston board will come over here and make their own list...
Well, if you feel I was picking on you personally, no, I have no intention of doing that. I have received that lying boast from other Houston sources.

I think the lineup of art, science and history museums in DFW versus Houston is a major, significant and meaningful difference. It would be of vital interest to someone who patronizes museums. I think that factual information about these museums belongs in this thread.

Quality? Is quality important? Sure. Well, the quality of DFW museums such as the Kimbell, the FW Modern, the DMA, the Nasher, the Meadows, even the Crow collection, is pretty outstanding, and better than Houston's. The national and international press has affirmed the quality of these museums. And there's another matter... the DFW museums offer a more diverse range of cultures. There are so many more of them in DFW that they can offer a wider range... such as a museum for Asian art, a museum specializing in the MADI school, a museum of Spanish art, a museum with a wide-ranging photography collection (Amon Carter), a museum that specializes in religious art... DFW is way ahead of Houston, and that information belongs in this thread.

Old 12-18-2009, 05:01 PM

5,345 posts, read 9,102,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_talons View Post
In this tough economic times, job prospects are even in either cities. But I'm looking toward Houston because there are a multitude of affordable apartments.
These "affordable apartments" may not be in good areas of town. Be careful before choosing one, as there maybe a good reason they're "affordable." Ask around on the Houston board for specific areas.

Quote:
I don't think so. DFW has many more museums
Houston's museum district alone has almost 20 within walking distance of each other. You only named a fraction of them.

Quote:
The built-up urban pedestrian area on the fringes of downtown Dallas has no equal in Houson... they have no equivalent of the McKinney Avenue urban district,,, the view of main street south of downtown Houston is like vacant lots and scattered one-story buildings, whereas Uptown Dallas is similar to what you would see in the less dense parts of Manhattan.
The view of Main St? What are you doing, making opinions based off google maps or something?

Main St. south of town is a bad example anyway. Midtown or Montrose is a better example of what I think you're trying to compare.

Quote:
There's no comparison... Dallas is much more urbane than Houston.
I disagree... I think they're about the same. Saying "Dallas is much so" is kidding yourself a little, or going based off stereotypes/generalizations rather than reality.

Old 12-18-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
I think the lineup of art, science and history museums in DFW versus Houston is a major, significant and meaningful difference. It would be of vital interest to someone who patronizes museums. I think that factual information about these museums belongs in this thread.
I disagree.
And how is your opinion "factual" information?

Houston fast facts (http://www.houstonpavilions.com/office_facts.php - broken link)
-Houston is one of only a handful of cities in the United States with standing year-round symphony, opera and ballet.
-Houston has the second largest volume of theatre and performance art space (in terms of square footage) in the United States ranking only behind New York.
-Houston ranks third in the nation in terms of the volume of fine arts museum space.
-The Houston Museum of Natural Science is the fourth most visited museum in the United States, ranking only behind the Smithsonian Institute, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and the American Museum of Natural Science.

More... (http://www.visithoustontexas.com/media/accolades/Arts - broken link)

Quote:
Quality? Is quality important? Sure. Well, the quality of DFW museums such as the Kimbell, the FW Modern, the DMA, the Nasher, the Meadows, even the Crow collection, is pretty outstanding, and better than Houston's. The national and international press has affirmed the quality of these museums. And there's another matter... the DFW museums offer a more diverse range of cultures. There are so many more of them in DFW that they can offer a wider range... such as a museum for Asian art, a museum specializing in the MADI school, a museum of Spanish art, a museum with a wide-ranging photography collection (Amon Carter), a museum that specializes in religious art... DFW is way ahead of Houston, and that information belongs in this thread.
You've yet to prove it's "way ahead" aside from your personal opinion and boasting?
Not to mention it's pretty obvious you're not very familiar with Houston's museums.

Old 12-18-2009, 05:29 PM

DFW museums, for the information of the public

American Airlines C.R. Smith Museum
Cavanaugh Flight Museum
Confederate Air Force
Frontiers of Flight Museum
Museum of the American Railroad (formerly Age of Steam Railroad Museum)
Pate Museum of Transportation, Cresson
Plano Interurban Museum
Vintage Flying Museum
Dallas Aquarium at Fair Park
Dallas Arboretum Visitors Center
Dallas World Aquarium
Fort Worth Museum of Science and History
Heard Natural Science Museum and Wildlife Sanctuary
International Museum of Cultures
Museum of Nature and Science (Dallas Museum of Natural History)
Museum of Nature and Science (The Science Place)
Noble Planetarium at the Fort Worth Museum of Science & History
Science Place Planetarium - Fair Park
Texas Discovery Gardens
A W Perry Homestead Museum
Arlington Historical Society and Fielder House Museum
Audie Murphy American Cotton Museum
Ball-Edlemann-McFarland House
Bonham Historic Trail
Cattle Raisers Museum
Collin County Farm Museum
Cotton Belt Depot
Dallas County Historical Museum
Dallas Firefighters Museum
Dallas Heritage Village at Old City Park
Dallas Holocaust Museum
Denton County Historical Museum
Ennis Railroad and Cultural Heritage Museum
Fair Park
Hall of State
Heritage Farmstead Museum
Hood County Historical Museum and Jail
ITC Historic Wall
Log Cabin Village
McKinney Avenue Trolley
National Cowboys of Color Museum
National Cowgirl Museum and Hall of Fame
Stockyards Collection and Museum
Stockyards Museum
Telephone Pioneer Museum
Texas Civil War Museum
Texas Cowboy Hall of Fame
The Conspiracy Museum
The Heritage Center on Johnson Creek
The Sixth Floor Museum
The Women's Museum
Thistle Hill House Museum
Legends of the Game Baseball Museum
Light Crust Doughboys Museum
Louis Tussaud's Palace of Wax and Ripley's Believe It or Not!
Southfork Ranch
The Studios at Las Colinas
African American Museum
American Museum of Miniature Arts
Arlington Museum of Art
Artcentre of Plano
Bathhouse Cultural Center
Center for the Arts - Jaycee Park
Crow Collection of Asian Art
Dallas Center for Contemporary Art
Dallas Museum of Art
Irving Arts Center
Kimbell Art Museum
Latino Cultural Center
McKinney Avenue Contemporary
Meadows Museum of Spanish Art
Mesquite Arts Center
Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth
Museum of Geometric and MADI Art
Mustangs of Las Colinas at Williams Square
Nasher Sculpture Center
Native Arts Center and Gallery
Sid Richardson Museum
Fan Man Museum
Mary Kay Cosmetics Building and Museum
National Scouting Museum
Thanksgiving Square
The Cockroach Hall of Fame
The Olde Fan Museum

Old 12-18-2009, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
I disagree.
And how is your opinion "factual" information?

Houston fast facts (http://www.houstonpavilions.com/office_facts.php - broken link)
Houston fast facts? The supposed "authority" behind these so-called facts is a Houston flack firm called "Houston Pavillions". Not particularly objective.

This stuff is pretty similar to Stalinist Soviet propaganda bragging about number of tractors and tons of steel... contrived and irrelevant.

Old 12-18-2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Houston fast facts? The supposed "authority" behind these so-called facts is a Houston flack firm called "Houston Pavillions". Not particularly objective.

This stuff is pretty similar to Stalinist Soviet propaganda bragging about number of tractors and tons of steel... contrived and irrelevant.
I give up. I won't argue against Dallitude, there's no winning!

"Houston Pavillions" likely pulled its facts from official sources like this and this (http://www.visithoustontexas.com/media/accolades/Arts - broken link).

Whether or not you like it, you've yet to disprove any of it.

Dallas and Houston are more like sister cities than anything. Some of the old-timers or Dallitude people may not see this, but that's pretty much the way it is in reality at this time...

Old 12-18-2009, 05:55 PM

16,005 posts, read 26,121,774 times
Well Paris has an attitude and rightly so...

Old 12-18-2009, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Whether or not you like it, you've yet to disprove any of it....
Don't you get it? Nobody is obligated to believe you.

Your so-called "official sources" are not objective, not authoritative, and are being paid to attract Houston visitors and seperate them from their money.

Last edited by aceplace; 12-18-2009 at 06:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas