Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 01:16 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by isee View Post
I was born in Dallas and left in 1978 and moved to Houston and stayed until 1986. I would never go back to live in either. There are many other southern cities that have all of the pluses without the congestion, crime, and horrible weather.
But none that have the diversity or are as international (save Miami on that last one).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 04:02 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,169,500 times
Quote:
I was born in Dallas and left in 1978 and moved to Houston and stayed until 1986. I would never go back to live in either. There are many other southern cities that have all of the pluses without the congestion, crime, and horrible weather.

1978 was 31 years ago, a long time in the life of a city in America. Lots of things have changed -- for better and worse, no doubt -- in that time. And what major Southern city doesn't have bouts of tornado/hurricane/humid weather or have problems with congestion and crime?

Old 12-23-2009, 04:52 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
The only really bad weather experiences I remember since 1978 was the ice storm of 79-80 New Year's and the the heat wave that summer.

Other than that, it's been very pleasant since you left, isee.

Old 12-23-2009, 11:29 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Quote:
Care to list said cities?

Dallas & Houston aren't anything like they were 30 something years ago.

Atlanta is the only city in the South that can begin to compare to Houston or Dallas for that matter.

Old 12-28-2009, 03:09 PM

87 posts, read 261,240 times
Both cities are great places to live. For me, the downside of Houston was the weather. In summer Houston is both hot and humid (whereas Dallas is generally just plain hot) and in Houston you have to deal with the tropical storm/hurricane season coupled Houston's propensity for flooding. Dallas has a generally drier climate with cooler winters.

Both cities offer affordable housing, good employment prospects, good schools (depending on where you live) and big city attractions. You'll find good and bad people in both cities.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:16 PM

293 posts, read 1,035,402 times
I live in Katy, and have family in the Dallas area. Both areas are just fine. There are wonderful areas to live in both.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:33 PM

882 posts, read 2,244,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Well Rice is the best ranked school in Texas according to the US News' rankings of colleges at #17 in the nation. SMU and TCU were ranked 68th and 110th respectively and UT and TAMU were ranked 47th and 61st respectively. Rice is a great school, but I know SMU and TCU has better programs in certain disciplines.
Well Rice, overall, would be better.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:26 PM

105 posts, read 375,878 times
Coming from the midwest my husband and I would like to move to a warmer climate where snow blizzards are nonexistent. We currently live in Homewood, IL where green trees and grass are plentiful, elementary schools are very good, great parks are plentiful and people are generally pretty nice. We are 39 and 40 respectively and have 2 daughters age 5 and 8.

My wish list:
Excellent schools
Green grass and trees/suburban living
Family oriented
demograpics of at least 15% African American
Home prices for a 4bd/3 bath @ $200 - $275K
Reasonable property taxes
More Conservative than liberal
Excellent shopping and community events

I've been looking at Richardson, TX. My husband is pretty open to whatever I suggest. His one concern is hurricanes so Houston (Sugarland specifically) is out of the question.

Please offer the top 2 or 3 suburbs that match my criteria if you will.
I would greatly appreciate.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:36 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,372,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adeltagirl View Post
Coming from the midwest my husband and I would like to move to a warmer climate where snow blizzards are nonexistent. We currently live in Homewood, IL where green trees and grass are plentiful, elementary schools are very good, great parks are plentiful and people are generally pretty nice. We are 39 and 40 respectively and have 2 daughters age 5 and 8.

My wish list:
Excellent schools
Family oriented

I've been looking at Richardson, TX. My husband is pretty open to whatever I suggest. His one concern is hurricanes so Houston (Sugarland specifically) is out of the question.

By your criteria look at the Cedar Hill area in Southwest Dallas County.

Where your workplace is located should be a consideration in your overall decision though. Traffic can be a monster here in DFW.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:55 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,842,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adeltagirl View Post

My wish list:
Excellent schools
Family oriented

i would also say cedar hill, tx. but if you're not dead set on the dallas area, what you're looking for can really be found in every major metro in the south

as far as houston's hurricanes, yes they have caused problems in the past, but don't let anyone lie to you and say that dfw doesn't have to worry about extreme weather
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas