Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 11:07 AM

1,193 posts, read 3,506,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlr4818 View Post
Both are great cities.
I think Houston proper is more densely populated and diverse, DFW area is more spread out.
According to the U.S. Office of Management & Budget, there's very little difference in the population density between the cities of Dallas and Houston. The city of Dallas is estimated to have 3697 people per/sq.mile. The city of Houston is estimated to have 3828 people per/sq.mile. When comparing entire metropolitan statistical areas, the DFW/Arlington MSA is estimated to have 634 people per/sq.mile and the Houston/Sugarland/Baytown MSA is estimated at 630 people per/sq.mile. These sources also indicate that the Houston/Sugarland/Baytown MSA is even more spread out than the DFW/Arlington MSA as the former contains about 8% more area than the latter. The city of Houston is definitely more spread out (about 602 sq.miles) than the city of Dallas (about 385 sq.miles). Neither is compact. I've lived in both places and they both feel about the same to me as far as population density is concerned.

Dallas–Fort Worth Metroplex - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Houston

Last edited by Dallas native; 11-21-2009 at 11:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 11:29 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,823,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas native View Post
According to the U.S. Office of Management & Budget, there's very little difference in the population density between the cities of Dallas and Houston. The city of Dallas is estimated to have 3697 people per/sq.mile. The city of Houston is estimated to have 3828 people per/sq.mile. When comparing entire metropolitan statistical areas, the DFW/Arlington MSA is estimated to have 634 people per/sq.mile and the Houston/Sugarland/Baytown MSA is estimated at 630 people per/sq.mile. These sources also indicate that the Houston/Sugarland/Baytown MSA is even more spread out than the DFW/Arlington MSA as the former contains about 8% more area than the latter. The city of Houston is definitely more spread out (about 602 sq.miles) than the city of Dallas (about 385 sq.miles). Neither is compact. I've lived in both places and they both feel about the same to me as far as population density is concerned.

Dallasâ??Fort Worth Metroplex - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Greater Houston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
But if Houston was also only 385 sq miles, would it's density be higher?

If someone was able to find that out, we could see which city had the more dense core.

Old 11-21-2009, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
But if Houston was also only 385 sq miles, would it's density be higher?

If someone was able to find that out, we could see which city had the more dense core.
If Houston got chopped down to 385 sq.miles from the existing 602 sq.miles, then it loses 217 sq.miles of area. With that, it loses all of the people who live in those areas. They would basically be living in first ring suburbs surrounding the City of Houston. Who knows what the density of the remaining 385 miles would be? It depends on how the city limits were hypothetically re-aligned.

I too would be interested in knowing what the density of the core of each city is. Of course, that depends on how you define "core". Inside Houston's Loop 610 and inside of Dallas' Loop 12 perhaps? I have no idea where to find such information.

Old 11-21-2009, 05:29 PM

21 posts, read 36,958 times
Seriously.Who really gives a s***?
Dallas is the THIRD largest city in Texas, behind San Antonio, that's a fact Mr Dallas encyclopedia.

Old 11-21-2009, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Seriously.Who really gives a s***?
Dallas is the THIRD largest city in Texas, behind San Antonio, that's a fact Mr Dallas encyclopedia.
Evidently you give a s*** since you're the one who brought up the topic of density and how spread out Dallas is compared to Houston. I'm just correcting your misinformation.

Old 11-21-2009, 06:54 PM

I prefer living in a real city and not a cow town, Mr Encyclopedia.
I'm glad you're happy there, enjoy it and quit worrying about competing with Houston, because there is no competition. As I said in my previous posts, most people here don't give Dallas a second thought.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
I prefer living in a real city and not a cow town, Mr Encyclopedia.
I'm glad you're happy there, enjoy it and quit worrying about competing with Houston, because there is no competition. As I said in my previous posts, most people here don't give Dallas a second thought.
In a previous post you said both are great cities, Mr. Emotional Reactionary. Now, when someone from Dallas contradicts something you said, Dallas becomes a cow town and not a real city. Consistency please......

Old 11-21-2009, 07:19 PM

Lighten up Big Tex, no one's taking your pride from you. I have lived in both cities, and I prefer the Gulf Coast for a myriad of reasons. If you like Big D, then God bless you, enjoy.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:21 PM

4,425 posts, read 6,249,583 times
everyone know what bitterness derives from.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:23 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,397,860 times
Smile The conclusion

Here you go. After a lot of consideration I have come to the conclusion that. Houston as a City is better than Dallas as a city. The Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex is a bit better than greater Houston mostly because of Fort Worth.

They both hove advantages and disadvantages,the Houston area has Nasa, the beach/Galveston, Kemah, The piney forest/ Woodlands etc. stuff that Dallas can't offer. It is also closer to San Antonio and Austin/San Marcos/New Braunfels/ Corpus/Mexico/South Padre etc.

The Dallas area is kind of hilly and that is nice, it also has six flags, Fort Worth Stock yards and a few tourist attractions that houston doesn't have. They are both similar as far as arts, museums and entertainment goes with few differences.

Of course there are the Dallas cowboys too. This makes Dallas a bit of a better sports town. Houston also has more Ghetto areas. Dallas is more famous and well known.

If you narrowed it down to the best area of town to live I would say the North end of the Dallas Metro area. I think it is the nicest and has the best social scene. The Dallas area has more white people and Houston has more Hispanic people other than that they have similar demographics. Houston has better weathe in the winter, Dallas is not as humid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas