Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 08:03 AM

34 posts, read 98,843 times

Advertisements

I am new to the area (Grapevine) and am looking to take a couple of my family members that are visiting out to dinner. I'd like to take them somewhere nice (not a chain) but not end up spending 300 dollars for a meal. What are some people's favorite places? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 08:50 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Do you like Italian? Go to Cafe Italia on Northwest Highway in Grapevine. You WILL need a reservation for your group because it is such a small place. They have a second location on Ira E Woods Drive near the football stadium.

Old 11-22-2009, 04:10 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
yes--Cafe Italia @ Ira E Woods is on Hwy 26/Grapevine Hwy-- newer location with little more glam than the storefront location they moved from just across the parking lot --
food is resonably priced, white tableclothes, great bread, wonderful veal (but no pizza I think)--and do get reservation
there is parking around back as well--front lot is pretty small
no liquor at either location I think--so bring your own wine--

further south on Hwy 26--in an old Dairy Queen is local Italian restaurant--not fancy but good food--called Bellissimo's--really good pizza but other dishes are good
if you go Friday big family night--make sure you get reservation in adult-only section--can be noisy if there are some large families

frankly I think either place has food as good as Ruggeri's which is much pricier place in Colleyville town center

for steak/prime rib -- Mac's--on 121 south of Grapevine in the Albertson's center (sort of) at Hall Johnson is pretty decent -(cheaper than other steak places by half or more) but it can be noisy--they are usually pretty good with table service--salad bowl is good and their bread also is excellent--but recently we found they changed from using brewed iced tea (really the best in Metroplex from my experience) to instant--NASTY--you can order wine/liquor there and they do a great brunch on weekends...

La Hacienda Ranch just north of Mac's on 121 access has some TX atmosphere--staff in jeans, white shirts, hats--ranch wood/rock decor with fireplaces in couple of rooms, does pretty good steak as well as Mexican food--has bar so has liquor

if you like Mexican--I vote for Lupe's in Bedford in Central Park shopping center--across from the HEB Admin offices--local place, chips/hot sauce usually very fresh and I love their enchiladas vierdes, good lo-cal chicken fajitas as well, some of wait staff's English may not be that good but they are friendly--margaritas are powerful-sopapillas good too

we have been to Esparza's and Uncle Julio's in Grapevine lots of times--both usually crowded, noisy--and don't think the food is that great

Cafe Italia is probably the more upscale looking/nicer dining spot or Mac's
La Hacienda Ranch good for Texas atmosphere and if you ask for smaller dining room would probably be quieter than main room

Last edited by loves2read; 11-22-2009 at 04:30 AM..

Old 11-25-2009, 09:30 PM

563 posts, read 1,710,610 times
Here are a few of my favorites:

I loooooove Veracruz Cafe in the Bishop Arts District. It's not "cheap" but it's not expensive either. Fantastic sangria swirl margaritas. Probably my favorite "mexican" restaurant in Dallas. They have authentic food, not Tex-Mex (unless that's what you want, they have some). There are also some cute shops there that you can walk around to before or after dinner.

What about a tapas place for a large gathering? Try Si Tapas. I went with a group of friends and was surprised at how inexpensive the final bill was. They have really good sangria too. And the food is fantastic.

Alo is a fantastic Peruvian restaurant. Check and see if it's open, they recently had a fire and may still be closed.

Cuba Libre serves fantastic Cuban food. Knox-Henderson area. They have really great mojitos too!!!

If you want sushi...try Ra Sushi in the Shops at Legacy. There are a few other locations. This one is a chain, yes, but there aren't many across the nation. It's been voted "best sushi" in varying states for several years.

For thai food, I recommend Noodle Wave in Richardson. The shopping center looks sketchy, but inside is really nice. A friend from Korea introduced me to this place, it was his favorite. It's mine now too.

:-)

Old 11-25-2009, 09:32 PM

oh one more...Victor Tango's. This place is a family style sort of thing. You order dishes to share. Some of the BEST food I've ever had in Dallas. They have things that please everyone (from tuna nachos to chicken and waffles).

Old 11-28-2009, 08:36 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
though op was asking for "local" restaurants w/o having to drive to Dallas
I could recommend several restaurants in FTW area that would fit the price limits as well

Old 11-28-2009, 08:57 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,173,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
La Hacienda Ranch just north of Mac's on 121 access has some TX atmosphere--staff in jeans, white shirts, hats--ranch wood/rock decor with fireplaces in couple of rooms, does pretty good steak as well as Mexican food--has bar so has liquor
Another vote for La Hacienda - word on the street is that they use the same meat as Three Forks.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
though op was asking for "local" restaurants w/o having to drive to Dallas
I could recommend several restaurants in FTW area that would fit the price limits as well
Sorry...to me Grapevine is "local" to Dallas. And either way the OP said "DFW area". They didn't say Grapevine.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Another vote for La Hacienda - word on the street is that they use the same meat as Three Forks.
La Hacienda is a chain. I didn't think that was what the OP was looking for?

Old 11-30-2009, 08:33 AM

3,820 posts, read 8,742,550 times
It's a small local chain. I wouldn't hesitate to take someone from out of town to a "chain" like that. It's not like they can get it at home.

Babe's Chicken Dinner House is a chain too but I guarantee you NO ONE would mind if they were from out of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas