U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 11-23-2009, 05:43 AM
 
1 posts, read 888 times
Reputation: 10
Default HELP Need to Escape from Los Angeles--Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Back in 2003 my husband and I traveled to Plano several times. We were hoping to relocate. It didn't work out. Instead we tried to stay in Los Angeles and opened our own small business, an ice cream franchise. Things went okay for a few years. At one point we had 2 stores going.

Fast forward to Oct 2008, economy started to slide. Our business went down about 32%. We closed one store. Things got worse. Started using our credit cards to make up the deficit. Things got really worse. Max'd out credit cards. Business fell off 45%.

We couldn't pay our property taxes and our lender paid them. This caused an increase of our house payment from $2,000 to $4,200. Can't make the payment.

We hired an attorney to help negotiate a loan modification. He ended up being suspended from practicing law on an unrelated issue that even with our due diligence in checking his background was not revealed to us until too late. He took $3300 up front, gave us some bad advice and now our home is in pre-foreclosure. both my husband and I are looking for steady employment. We have experience and education in the Insurance industry however, that industry, like most in CA have fled the state--so no jobs.

To top it off, our store has been robbed a gunpoint 3 times (3rd time was this evening) by the same A-hole. He seems to be able to elude police.

All this hardship and suffering makes my husband and I dream of moving to Texas again. We've always found the people there to be honest, helpful and nice. Neighborly, like--BELIEVE IT or NOT--the way California used to be when we were both growing up here.

How hard is it to relocate to the Dallas area and find work if you are an outsider? Do Texan's accept normal, hardworking Californians? We're not elistist, liberal idiots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-23-2009, 05:56 AM
 
Location: Richardson, TX
14,674 posts, read 12,010,029 times
Reputation: 11159
Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Reilly View Post
All this hardship and suffering makes my husband and I dream of moving to Texas again. We've always found the people there to be honest, helpful and nice. Neighborly, like--BELIEVE IT or NOT--the way California used to be when we were both growing up here.

How hard is it to relocate to the Dallas area and find work if you are an outsider? Do Texan's accept normal, hardworking Californians? We're not elistist, liberal idiots.
It can be difficult if you are trying to find a job from California because most companies here will not be willing to pay relo (due to the economy there is a large pool of available talent right here in DFW). That is likely to be the biggest factor if you struggle to find a job, i.e. you are not local so it is harder to bring you in for an interview and you might ask for relo. Also if you are having financial difficulties, those will follow you to Texas.

The recession here is not nearly as bad as it is in some other areas, but unemployment is still pretty high in Texas (over 8%). It is not a land of milk and honey here; rather it is simply comparatively better than, say, Michigan.

Lots of people here started off as "outsiders". Dallas does not have a silo-esque, small-town mentality. Being from elsewhere is not a big deal. We also realize that not every Californian is a stereotype, just as not every Texan is honest, helpful, and nice! Sadly, some Californians are a stereotype. Just don't be "that" person and you will be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2009, 06:54 AM
 
6,586 posts, read 15,602,421 times
Reputation: 2975
There are lots and lots of Californians in Texas. You'll have plenty of company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2009, 11:12 AM
 
Location: Garland Texas
1,538 posts, read 4,491,201 times
Reputation: 576
I would put off moving until you get all the legal odds and ends tied up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2009, 11:16 AM
 
Location: Purgatory (A.K.A. Dallas, Texas)
5,012 posts, read 7,349,770 times
Reputation: 2254
Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Reilly View Post
To top it off, our store has been robbed a gunpoint 3 times (3rd time was this evening) by the same A-hole. He seems to be able to elude police.

Why don't you get a Mossberg short barrel and make the next time he tries the final time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2009, 12:07 PM
 
Location: Garland Texas
1,538 posts, read 4,491,201 times
Reputation: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Why don't you get a Mossberg short barrel and make the next time he tries the final time?
It's California, they would probably get sued by the robber or the robbers family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2009, 03:46 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
47,297 posts, read 37,282,119 times
Reputation: 19505
Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Reilly View Post
Back in 2003 my husband and I traveled to Plano several times. We were hoping to relocate. It didn't work out. Instead we tried to stay in Los Angeles and opened our own small business, an ice cream franchise. Things went okay for a few years. At one point we had 2 stores going.

Fast forward to Oct 2008, economy started to slide. Our business went down about 32%. We closed one store. Things got worse. Started using our credit cards to make up the deficit. Things got really worse. Max'd out credit cards. Business fell off 45%.

We couldn't pay our property taxes and our lender paid them. This caused an increase of our house payment from $2,000 to $4,200. Can't make the payment.

We hired an attorney to help negotiate a loan modification. He ended up being suspended from practicing law on an unrelated issue that even with our due diligence in checking his background was not revealed to us until too late. He took $3300 up front, gave us some bad advice and now our home is in pre-foreclosure. both my husband and I are looking for steady employment. We have experience and education in the Insurance industry however, that industry, like most in CA have fled the state--so no jobs.

To top it off, our store has been robbed a gunpoint 3 times (3rd time was this evening) by the same A-hole. He seems to be able to elude police.

All this hardship and suffering makes my husband and I dream of moving to Texas again. We've always found the people there to be honest, helpful and nice. Neighborly, like--BELIEVE IT or NOT--the way California used to be when we were both growing up here.

How hard is it to relocate to the Dallas area and find work if you are an outsider? Do Texan's accept normal, hardworking Californians? We're not elistist, liberal idiots.
As long as you are not liberal idiots as you put it and don't try to push Ca down their throats the people in the Dallas area are very helpful and friendly.
Like everywhere jobs may not be as easy to get as 5 years ago, but they are there if you are willing to make the sacrafices necessary. I would suggest you look into working for one of the many call centers in the area. I know of 2 in the Carrollton area, actually 3. One I think is really in Addison. The pay isn't great but it would be a start.

Good luck

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2009, 05:06 PM
 
15,920 posts, read 24,443,609 times
Reputation: 5836
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryS80 View Post
It's California, they would probably get sued by the robber or the robbers family.
True..however after three times this guy oughta be shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top