Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 11:58 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,478,415 times

Advertisements

The Phoenix is your best location - next to Mockingbird Station for Dart Rail access. And restaurants/bars/movies/shops at Mockingbird Station.
Kroger for grocery shopping.
Across the street is a strip with a Jason's Deli, Whole Earth Provision, Pocket Sandwich Theater, Keith's Comics, Run On, Premiere Video).

There was a problem at Phoenix a while ago, but it's been repaired as far as I know - all the apartments leaked when it rained (I think that was the problem).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 02:32 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,169,500 times
Yeah, in terms of having easy access to things to do, the Phoenix is in the best location. Though the Phoenix apartments themselves aren't particularly special and the Futura Lofts may offer cooler spaces.

Old 12-31-2009, 06:11 PM

229 posts, read 606,806 times
i like the futura lofts. i've heard a lot of good things about them and deep ellum is working on making a comeback

Old 01-01-2010, 10:45 PM

42 posts, read 78,039 times
Yeah, scratch that, the Futura Lofts have "open floor plans," ie oversized studios to save money on building walls.
I'm down to two choices: The Reserve at White Rock or The Phoenix. I definitely love what I've heard of E.Dallas and the layout of that part of the city.
Thanks for all the info on this thread!

Old 01-02-2010, 01:43 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,471,139 times
There's a place on Main Street that has a clock tower that would remind you vaguely of the Custom House. Rents there are startlingly affordable. You might check it out. All in all I'd call East Dallas about as safe as the Mass Ave side of the South End - but with significantly less foot traffic. Interestingly, they just opened a new trolley line there and it's called "the Green Line". sadly, the trains however are not green.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:43 AM

184 posts, read 447,778 times
I'm also looking for neighborhoods hat would work best for me. I don't expect to drop my neighborhood from SF or Brooklyn down in Dallas, but here's what I'm looking for. If any of you are familiar with Atlanta, I'd like to find an area that's similar to Little 5 Points, East Atlanta Village or Downtown Decatur. What would the Dallas experts suggest as the top areas for me to check out on my visit out there. Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:46 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,478,415 times
Don't know that area in Atlanta. Can you describe the vibe, lifestyle, feel?

Old 01-10-2010, 12:15 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,554,983 times
Quote:
The Reserve at White Rock on Garland
- Vue Live Oak on N. Peak
I know someone who lived at The Reserve--they loved their townhome in the complex, but hated their apartment and moved out early. Said the management was horrible.

I was looking into Vue Live Oak myself, but I read some reviews that questioned the safety of the area right outside the gates--anyone have any input on that?

Old 01-10-2010, 02:28 PM

184 posts, read 447,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper131 View Post
Don't know that area in Atlanta. Can you describe the vibe, lifestyle, feel?
All of them are intown neighborhoods that have kept a sense of character. Walkable, mom and pop stores and restaurants, and artistic presence, not completely gentrified or yuppied out (yet). I like real lofts and don't mind a bit of grit as long there is some culture and flavor to go along with the rough patches.

Old 01-10-2010, 04:28 PM

42 posts, read 78,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
I know someone who lived at The Reserve--they loved their townhome in the complex, but hated their apartment and moved out early.
I just signed a lease at The Reserve. Cheap rent and I like the floor plan. I read some awful stories on aptartmentratings.com - but they recently changed over management, so I'm hopeful (it can't be worse than the places I had in mass )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas