Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 10:39 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
I've been here 43 years and have never been to any of those places. I did go to the Arbor Hills Nature Preserve in Plano recently and it was very nice (and crowded), but compared with mountains or an ocean or a forest or a desert or beaches or a real river, we are lacking in Dallas, but y'all go ahead and spin it for the newcomers.

Since most of the people who relocate here move to the northern half of Dallas and beyond, they are rarely going to go to Cedar Hill or Mountain Creek or Joe Pool Lake, especially when they find out they have to drive through the "bad" part of town to get there.

This is just from my experience, your mileage may vary.
Then you need to visit Spring Creek as it is NOT crowded ever. It once was MUCH larger than it currently is and stretched thru many cities in the Dallas area. Most of the trails are in the city of Garland so it is not in south Dallas and VERY easy to get to from the northern burbs. The river there is a "real river" and not manmade. No spin about it, it is what it is . Why would someone not go visit someplace like Cedar Hill State Park if they are into bird watching and hiking? You don't have to go through "bad" parts of town as your on a highway that you still must travel on if your going to head down to Austin or other spots in Texas. Living so close to so many great things and never taking advantage of them is a pity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2007, 06:50 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,463,955 times
Where is Spring Creek? It is a public park? Who owns it? Maybe we will visit there this summer.

Old 05-18-2007, 09:57 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
Here is a link.

http://www.springcreekforest.org/

There was a great article recently about it in the paper and went on to tell how it used to be SOOOOO much bigger and how most of it has been gobbled up for development. I also remember reading something last year about a guy w/ the Garland Parks & Rec I believe that did guided hikes for those interested. Most of the preserve is in the city limits of Garland w/ some in Richardson. The link will show how to access the preserve and it is easy to get to. Take 190 east and a few miles east of 75 take the Holford Rd exit and turn right on Holford. There are two parking lots off of Holford. Spring Creek runs thru part of the Firewheel Golf Course and in several areas on the golf course you can see the water and see how the decades of erosion of exposed all of the Austin Chalk. It is kind of cool to be so close to it and I like the fact that just about every single day I get to drive thru or past some part of it.

Old 05-18-2007, 12:18 PM

1,067 posts, read 5,654,710 times
I use to live off of Trinity Blvd in the long arm of Fort Worth. Many flight attendants use to live in the apartments we were in.

We liked living at Summer's Landing apartments and that is right across from the AA corporate headquarters. It is about 5- 10 minutes from the airport. We also loved the layouts of the apartments there. They feel like little homes versus just a huge space. Here is link to it.
http://www.apartments.com/summary.as...d=Overview_Tab

There is other apartment complexes around there but can't tell you about them. I do know that we enjoyed our time there because there wasn't alot of noise and no partying going on. There also weren't any small kids living there too due to the location. It is a good location for a couple with no kids imo. Good luck.

Old 05-18-2007, 12:33 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,269,575 times
Please note lack of natural beauty:

Cedar Hill State Park -- South Dallas County

Cedar Hill State Park

White Rock Lake -- North East Dallas

Old 05-18-2007, 02:26 PM

1,560 posts, read 7,146,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Since most of the people who relocate here move to the northern half of Dallas and beyond, they are rarely going to go to Cedar Hill or Mountain Creek or Joe Pool Lake, especially when they find out they have to drive through the "bad" part of town to get there.
If that's true, it's a shame. I've driven that route a hundred times, (today even). There's no (additional) danger in travelling down I-35E or Hwy 67. The roads from 67 to Joe Pool are very nice and pass through and by some nice neighborhoods.

Old 05-18-2007, 02:32 PM

1,560 posts, read 7,146,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post
Please note lack of natural beauty:

You've got a wrong word in there somewhere..... Man-made buildings, manicured lawns and docks are not "natural" beauty by any stretch of the imagination. And while there is a beauty in the symmetry of a well cared for area, there is also "natural" beauty in the unmolested landscape that our creator crafted in areas like Cedar Hill State Park.

Old 05-19-2007, 07:39 AM

2 posts, read 6,563 times
Thank you guys very much for your inputs. We have a much clear vision of what we want to do!!!!!!!

Old 05-19-2007, 11:43 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,171,294 times
I made the move from Miami (Sunny Isles Beach to be exact) to Dallas three years ago and am quite happy here. I enjoyed Miami and yes, I miss the ocean (and good Cuban/South American, as opposed to Mexican, food), the beautiful people, the Miami Book Fair, and South Florida's better air quality. But, in Dallas, I like:

1) lower cost of living
2) more job opportunities and lower unemployment
3) South Florida economy seems very much tied to the ups and downs of tourism while the DFW economy seems more balanced
3) less hostility on the roads and in personal interactions in general
4) more opportunities to see arthouse/indie films
5) while the major arts groups seem to be more cash-strapped in South Florida (the symphony went under when I lived there), there seems to be more support for the arts in DFW
5) excluding Latin music, Dallas is more of a major concert stop
6) you're 2-3.5 hours by air from either coast whereas getting out of S. Florida can be a major haul, especially to the West Coast
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas