U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 09:52 PM

5 posts, read 21,465 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

So basically, i am a 27 year old young professional who has lived in the dc metro area for 16 years and is sick of it. Frankly, its too expensive to live here as well.

I'm looking at possibly getting a fresh start and moving to Dallas, as I've heard it is a great place to live.

I'm looking at spending around 300,000 on a place... what areas of Dallas/burbs should I be looking at? Thanks.

and it would be great if you guys could give me any other information on where the young people live, what the places to avoid are, etc.

thanks!

Old 05-17-2007, 10:41 PM

2,395 posts, read 7,746,390 times
300K can buy you into just about any place in Dallas, save Highland Park/University Park... you might not need to spend that much, prices are substantially lower than DC here.

Old 05-18-2007, 04:52 AM

739 posts, read 2,748,535 times
and maybe not Southlake?

Old 05-18-2007, 07:01 AM

313 posts, read 1,590,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mithong View Post
Hello all,

So basically, i am a 27 year old young professional who has lived in the dc metro area for 16 years and is sick of it. Frankly, its too expensive to live here as well.

I'm looking at possibly getting a fresh start and moving to Dallas, as I've heard it is a great place to live.

I'm looking at spending around 300,000 on a place... what areas of Dallas/burbs should I be looking at? Thanks.

and it would be great if you guys could give me any other information on where the young people live, what the places to avoid are, etc.

thanks!
we just moved here from the DC area. I grew up and lived my whole life mostly around DC. We ended up buying in Frisco and so far we love it!! I do miss riding my motorcycle down the GW parkway but.. it is great out here!

Old 05-18-2007, 11:51 AM

1,538 posts, read 6,451,346 times
Uptown is popular with young professionals. It's close to downtown Dallas, and Love Field. There are tons of shops and restaurants in the area. Condos in uptown go from about $250k, and up about a million.

If you want something with more of a suburban feel Plano or Frisco maybe more your thing, especially if you have kids. Plano/Frisco are very upscale suburb soccer mom type places.

Highland Park and University park are upscale as well, but it tends to be a much older crowd, very blue blood. There are beautiful homes in Highalnd park, but again its very old school.

Old 05-18-2007, 01:32 PM

16,092 posts, read 36,531,039 times
If you are 27 you want to be close to the action - Downtown, Uptown, Turtle Creek, Knox-Henderson,M-Streets/Vickery Place, Lower Greenville, Lakewood, Southside, or Bishop Arts District. So many places to go, so little time!

If you want to buy a condo look in Downtown, Uptown, Turtle Creek, Southside or Knox-Henderson.

If you want a house (probably a very good investment in these areas) - you can also find them on the Henderson end of Knox-Henderson, M-Streets/Vickery Place, Lower Greenville and Lakewood -- most of these are part of East Dallas. Lakewood and M-Streets are the most expensive - you would have to find a good deal to get anything in your price range (but it is possible). You might be able to also find a house around the Bishop Arts District in North Oak Cliff, but I really don't know the current market there.

Old 05-18-2007, 02:42 PM

1,560 posts, read 6,557,545 times
I would recommend you first consider renting for the short term until you find employment, if you do not already have a job lined up.

Old 05-18-2007, 08:52 PM

5 posts, read 21,465 times
how far away is plano from downtown/uptown?

is it a pain in the butt to park/hang out at downtown if you live in plano?

i just can't justify paying 300k for a 2br condo in uptown when i can buy a huge house in plano for the same price.

Old 05-18-2007, 09:20 PM

3,035 posts, read 13,230,620 times
Plano is close to uptown based on where your coming from in the US.

I've lived in DC and CA, places where 20 mile commutes were better than average and even desirable. On here, people act like you need to live less than 5 miles from everything (work/eat/entertainment, etc.) or else your just too far and you minus well be in OK. To each his own, but you should try it yourself. Plano is very centrally located, hence its popularity.

Old 05-18-2007, 09:42 PM

1,538 posts, read 6,451,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mithong View Post
how far away is plano from downtown/uptown?

is it a pain in the butt to park/hang out at downtown if you live in plano?

i just can't justify paying 300k for a 2br condo in uptown when i can buy a huge house in plano for the same price.
Wouldn't too much of a commute from Plano, you either hit 75, or the Dallas North Tollway depending on where in Plano you live. Traffic is usually lighter on the tollway.

If traffic was light I'd say about 15-20 minute trip down the highway would be about right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or