U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2007, 04:59 PM

27 posts, read 96,890 times

Advertisements

Hi! I am moving to Rockwall TExas at the end of July 07. I will be moving with children ages 9, and 11. My husband will be retiring in Jan 08. We have spent many years in So CA., but almost 6 years in Japan.I am making the move solo, in hopes to check out the area, and decide if it will be our final destiny. I will be looking for employment, and setting up temp housing with a family member. I would prefer to stay in or around Rockwell, to sty close to family, but really want the best retirement area for military families. Can anyone share their thoughts about teh Rockwell area?
Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2007, 09:41 PM

14,874 posts, read 38,666,817 times
Does your husband or yourself play golf? If so then check out neigborhoods in or near The Shores or Buffalo Creek. As the name implies The Shores has a few homes on the lake front or w/ lake views (Lake Ray Hubbard). Into sailing? Check out the Rush Creek Yacht Club. There are other marinas on the lake that have lots of sailboats too. You'll see more sailboats on this lake than many others around. Your close enough to Dallas w/o having to be right in it and the traffic is not as bad as other areas. It is very community oriented w/ lots of activities for families. In the summer they have movies and concerts in the park. There is also a free splash park for the kids (the younger kids enjoy this more). The new development on the lake just opened w/ a movie theater, boat dock, restaurants and shops. Across the lake in Garland is a new Bass Pro Shop w/ a marina and more restaurants. While it may be much larger than it once was it is still that small town feel where if your involved in the community be it the kids schools, church, sports, etc your going to get to know a lot of people and it will not be uncommon to know someone that also is friends w/ someone else you know from another area of your life. As for it having a lot of retired military that I do not know. If your husband is going to be having to use the Dallas VA hospital your drive to there from this side of town is not going to be too bad.

Good luck and welcome.

When your here try and find out what nights they will be having the concerts and movies in the park (I think they are all out at Harry Myers Park).

Old 05-18-2007, 11:04 PM

6,585 posts, read 23,516,207 times
What do retired military families typically look for in an area? Access to a base for shopping? Proximity to a VA Hospital?

The Rockwall area is nice.

Old 05-19-2007, 05:27 AM

32,134 posts, read 50,384,023 times
San Antonio has large contingent of military families--hospitals and other military-related facilities---has had lots of people who were in and out of the Army bases there or maybe Lackland AFB who loved the city and returned for retirement...but if you don't have family there it is probably not a move to make just because of that...
Surely your military --I guess Army since you were in Japan for so long--can give you info about the facilities in this area...
FTW has some retired military because of the NAS facility there but don't think there is hospital--maybe big PX type place...
Google yourself some info...

Old 05-19-2007, 05:39 AM

2,259 posts, read 9,041,659 times
We're retired Air Force and moving to Dallas for a civilian job. Carswelll AFB in Ft Worth is now a reserve Naval base. I really don't know much about it other than I believe it has a Commissary/BX. I am not sure about medical. We are with Tricare Prime and should be able to pick providers within the system when we get there.

I don't think of Dallas as a place retirees go. San Antonio, yes like the above mentioned has tons of active/retired military. If you have family in the Dallas area that will help you get familiar w/the area. Good Luck!

Old 05-20-2007, 07:37 PM

10,326 posts, read 21,984,640 times
Carswell does have a nice commissary and a decent PX, but the medical clinic is very small. It's also 1.5 hours' drive from Rockwall, so you can't buy frozen food and get it home safely without a cooler.

Please, please DO NOT use the Dallas VA Hospital. (I have a friend who was mis-diagnosed there and nearly died of colon cancer...Baylor University Medical Center in Dallas saved his life!) Tricare and civilian doctors will provide you much better care than you would get at the VA Hospital.

Rockwall is a very good place to live, and it is growing really quickly. My (retired) parents live there and are members at the YMCA and they love it!

Old 05-20-2007, 07:47 PM

709 posts, read 3,234,198 times
Not sure where the best place for your family is however I can say that my father used the VA in Bonham over the Dallas location. He said it was run much smoother and easier to get to over all. There are a lot of communities up around Aubrey, McKinney, Denton, Argyle,Prosper etc... that might fit for what you are looking for considering you have small children and would like to be close to VA etc... There are however no bases that I know of up that way, that I am aware of.

Old 06-14-2007, 09:41 PM

1,491 posts, read 4,793,984 times
There is a good VA Hospital in Bonham....not the nightmare place that the one in Dallas is (it's scary just getting thru the neighborhood to get there and even scarier once you get inside!!). If they can't do what you need at the Bonham facility, they'll bus you right to the door of the Dallas VA.

Old 06-18-2007, 12:27 AM

I love this site! Thanks everyone. Yes, we will be retiring from the Navy after 25 years! I am looking forward to the civlian life, and finally planting our feet! I will be sending my children to AManda Rochelle elem, I believe. I don't really find it necessary to be near all of what a base would offer. I just got spoiled this time overseas! However, we lived in San Diego, and lived in a wonderful house, but the school district was scary! Wish we wouldn't have sold the house 6 years ago! Just for investment reasons. We are looking forward to selling our house in Bremerton, WA and buying in Texas, if it pulls at my heart strings.( or makes sense to my wallet!) EIther way, Rockwall sounds like a good place to start! I will be doing the single parent thing for about 8 months, leaving hubby behind to finish his tour. I will be a busy girl, getting kids in school, job hunting and researching the area! Very excited to get started!

Old 06-18-2007, 12:29 AM

I used to play golf, untill the "mommy and wife in me", put everything on hold to run around the world with my Navy hubby! I look forward to starting all over again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or