Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 02:52 PM

13 posts, read 30,202 times

Advertisements

Lakewooder - I would love to see pictures of your home (garden, interior, etc). Do you have any you can post? Not being nosy, well, of course I am, but would like to see the style of a 1916 home...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 03:24 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
Click on 'the Hazelton' here: Sears Homes 1915-1920

I have a fairly good cellphone pic of my 1936 Lakewood Tudor, but I can't seem to get it to post.

Old 07-31-2007, 06:00 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,237,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Isn't Berkner where there was a gang fight/shooting after the Lake Highlands football game last year?

Speaking of old houses, I have found that a house doesn't really get historic or even back in style for at least 50 years...to me a 1976 house would be almost new. The newest house I ever lived in (besides a brand new 1980s condo in Houston) was built in 1956. And believe me there is still not a crack anywhere in the thing (my mother lives there now). My current home is from 1916 and I have lived in two homes from the mid 1930s. I love 'em.
Actually there were a couple shooting involving students from Berkner H.S., I think the one between the lake highlands kids and the Berkner kids actually resulted in one or two people being killed.

There was another one involving some students from Rowlett H.S. and students from Berkner. I always took Berkner for being more upper middle class. I had the misfortune of working with a few very arrogant stuck up kids from Berkner. I suppose theres more then meets the eye at that school.

I have spoke with many great students from the school, and the teachers are wonderful.

Old 08-24-2007, 10:57 AM

7 posts, read 21,071 times
Yes the area around 75 and 635 is "high crime" but really lower that the rest of the city. The reason it lists as high crime is the the neighbor associations are very active and do not allow the police department to ignore the area. There are some apartments that are exactly like metioned and we wish would go away but you can safely go into any of those hole in the wall stores and restaurants and be safe. Wal mart is wal mart. Yuck.

Old 09-03-2007, 08:32 AM

438 posts, read 1,782,966 times
Not trying to be contrary here, just speaking from my own experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
The area along Spring Valley, east of 75 to Coit (north of Coit is Richardson, south side of Coit is Dallas), has one of the highest crime rates in the entire Dallas area. Lots of low income apartments, new immigrants, legal and not legal. Stay away from that area although you can see a movie at that movie theatre and eat in those restaurants mostly without fear for your life. I wouldn't shop at that Wal-mart though. No way. I'm talking about the corner of Spring Valley and 75.
I lived in one of those low-income apts for about 5 years, and walked the neighborhood nightly with my wife. The crime aspect of the neighborhood may be somewhat overstated.

There was some visible crime; it consisted mainly of young urban males preying on illegals at the nearby car wash about 1x/month. There were DPD helicopters overhead about every other week, and the "celebratory gunfire" aspect was high. I can post an audio clip of same if anyone wants it. :-)

The complex I lived it was very stable; it was built in the 60s and had a pretty good population of old people that moved in there when it was new. :-) Very quiet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
I would not live around Cottonwood Park in southwest Richardson, although that's a nice park. ... I would not live in the downtown area of Richardson (very old tiny houses) which is Main/Belt Line and Greenville.
I have never seen anything untoward in Cottonwood park; usually family reunions. Some of the downtown area (is that really downtown? don't know) has lovely 50s/60s brick homes. Not McMansions, sure, but not everyone needs 2000' or 5000'. The wife and I walked a 1350' house this weekend and it was laid out very well and lovely. Beautiful oak in the back yard, quiet neighborhood with kids playing catch in the front yard.

And within healthy walking distance to the local Asian/Arabic markets. Hmmm... might have to put in an offer on that one.

Old 09-03-2007, 11:37 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fratermus View Post
Not trying to be contrary here, just speaking from my own experience.

I lived in one of those low-income apts for about 5 years, and walked the neighborhood nightly with my wife. The crime aspect of the neighborhood may be somewhat overstated.

There was some visible crime; it consisted mainly of young urban males preying on illegals at the nearby car wash about 1x/month. There were DPD helicopters overhead about every other week, and the "celebratory gunfire" aspect was high. I can post an audio clip of same if anyone wants it. :-)

The complex I lived it was very stable; it was built in the 60s and had a pretty good population of old people that moved in there when it was new. :-) Very quiet.

I have never seen anything untoward in Cottonwood park; usually family reunions. Some of the downtown area (is that really downtown? don't know) has lovely 50s/60s brick homes. Not McMansions, sure, but not everyone needs 2000' or 5000'. The wife and I walked a 1350' house this weekend and it was laid out very well and lovely. Beautiful oak in the back yard, quiet neighborhood with kids playing catch in the front yard.

And within healthy walking distance to the local Asian/Arabic markets. Hmmm... might have to put in an offer on that one.
I'm glad you liked living over there, but there is no way in God's Green Earth I would live in that Spring Valley/Maham/Coit/75 area. Cottonwood Park we only go to during the day (we actually prefer Rocket Park/Heights Park). We've been in this area (Coit and Arapaho) since 1967 and the only time that Spring Valley area was okay for me was when the apartments were new and filled with employees from TI.

Old 09-03-2007, 02:07 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truecolours View Post
Having our own swimming pool is one of the Top 10 reasons we'd move to Richardson.

New houses - been there, done that. We're a little sick of waiting for trees to grow and wondering what'd going to be on that empty 50 acres across the street. We'd like a 2000 sq ft 1070's house with a pool and a couple of trees. Lack of wood paneling, grass in the back to mow, and wallpaper a plus.

I'll definitely keep an eye on Canyon Creek. Thanks. On Google maps, the park says Canyon Creek Country Club. I've noticed several country club around. Are these golf areas, or membership only something-or-others? The houses don't look fancy enough to be country club homes, though maybe they were in the 70's.

I love the Canyon Creek area. It's an area with older, established homes that are really well kept. Lots and lots of trees too. One of the best areas in the metroplex, in my opinion.

Old 09-03-2007, 04:59 PM

12 posts, read 56,642 times
Hey, it's nice to see my old thread again.

We have been really slow at getting up there to see houses. We are going next week. Really. We mean it. lol

I have been looking at houses in earnest on the MLS and so far, haven't seen any in Canyon Creek at the moment that fit the specs. The three we like best are all near Coit at Park or Parker in Plano. I really would like to be near the shopping around Preston/Park (although don't want to live right next to it due to traffic). I haven't heard anything bad about the area and the houses seem to be early 80's stock. I would like to smack the person who decided that all houses of that era in Plano should have electric cooktops though.

I'd like to see 3-4 houses while I am there next weekend...gotta get myself an agent I suppose.

I'm definitely keeping an eye on Canyon Creek though in case something good shows up.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:58 PM

2 posts, read 4,498 times
Default You might try looking at the Lake Highlands area

I live in Lake Highlands and work from home, then go into the office periodically in Richardson near the Spring Valley exit off I75.
Lake Highlands schools are in Richardson ISD, and they are highly rated. Our daughter went to the magnet high school (Richardson High School), which offers great programs in science, art, law and culinary arts.
Lake Highlands is a great location because it has established neighborhoods but is close to lots of stuff.
My house is advertised for sale and the pics and info might give you an idea of the area. You can look at the info online at Craigslist at:
http://dallas.craigslist.org/rfs/418016606.html and maps and info of what's close by at: http://home.covad.net/bjpollock/index_files/Page457.htm
Hope this helps.

Old 09-11-2007, 09:10 PM
dgz

806 posts, read 3,391,913 times
Are we back at this conversation again? It seems like this question comes up every other month. :-) As I mentioned previously in another posting, I haven't seen any 'ghettos' in north Dallas, Richardson, Plano, Allen, Carrollton, Frisco... 'Ghetto' in the American use of the word generally implies high crime, inner city, gang-ridden areas. I think that word would apply to parts of south Dallas, but in the north suburbs, I haven't seen anything like that. Some places look a little lower income or the yards aren't kept up very well, but that's not 'ghetto.'

If you ever want to know what a ghetto looks like, and you just happen to be on the east coast, drive through parts of the Bronx or north Philadelphia. That will give you an idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOK222 View Post
well.. maybe Ghetto is not the best term for Richardson, it's just older than my great great grandmother so maybe a little "run down" ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas