U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 07:15 PM

3,035 posts, read 13,024,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
The best appreciation rates are in Lakewood, Park Cities and North Dallas. Buying a suburban home where you have to compete with builders when you sell and massive foreclosures are going to kill your chance at making money on your house. You might even lose your shirt.
But what if you have no desire to live in any of those places ? At the end of the day, you have to enjoy where you live.

I think we've already proven here that there are many suburban areas that do well also, just more care needs to be taken when making a selection in these areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2007, 07:32 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,788,600 times
I've been involved in Real Estate as an landman, investor, salesman and property manager since 1981 and I cannot for the life of me understand why someone would lose money rather than make money - a lot of money.

I also fail to understand how anyone would not enjoy living in Dallas' most prestigious neighborhoods. We actually have trees!

If you hate it that much you can retire early to somewhere else from the appreciation made on your home.

Old 05-21-2007, 07:47 PM

I have a little Real Estate experience under my belt as well. And I can afford to live in Highland Park as well. Even looked there.

But also, your assuming alot. You act as though the 3 areas you mentioned around Dallas are the only areas people have ever made money. I know you like the area where you live, but it seems that you have never really ventured outside your comfort zone to any of these other areas.

You knock places like Southlake, which I had heard of even before I moved here....

You saw the appreciation map in the March edition of Big D Magazine. There was a tiny appreciation region around uptown Dallas, then lots of larger appreciation areas in Collin and Tarrant counties. Sure, where there is low cost new communities, there is some degree of instability.

You keep referring to forclosures, but even the map you've posted here 6-7 times clearly states that a majority of forclosures in Collin county are of homes 150k and under. To me, that says alot of new families are moving into the burbs and getting in a little over their head. Over and over we have stated that if people plan to buy in these lower price ranges that older more established areas are probably better investments.

I guess I just get confused with the somewhat insular nature of all your posts. If I were single with no kids, I'd live downtown and play on some of the gentrification dollars to be made there, but I'm not, so I need to find a balance of financial upside and what works best for the whole family. At this point in my life, Dallas wasn't a fit for me.

Last edited by socketz; 05-21-2007 at 07:56 PM..

Old 05-21-2007, 07:56 PM

549 posts, read 1,973,199 times
But it has trees.

Old 05-21-2007, 08:07 PM

There are no trees in Frisco :-) Well, there are some baby ones.

I like what my uppity West Planoite friend at work says.....

'Honey, trees grow'

Old 05-21-2007, 09:06 PM

2,395 posts, read 7,608,923 times
...trees also live hundreds of years... people don't...

The average person stays in their home 7-8 years before moving. That's barely enough time to get a tree looking good!

I love trees my Dallas trees! My brother lives in Grapevine... now there's one burb that has done an excellent job protecting it's old growth trees! The city has done an excellent job and deserves props for their efforts.

Brian

Old 05-21-2007, 09:29 PM

I like trees/topography as well. I've been through Grapevine, but never back in there. I know it's an area alot of people like. I have some trees behind my new house (back faces open space) and sometimes I'll cruise up there on the weekend and sit on the back proch and watch birds frolicking. Peaceful.

Old 05-21-2007, 09:42 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,140,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
But what if you have no desire to live in any of those places ? At the end of the day, you have to enjoy where you live.

Exactly!! On both sides though Sockets. I get why you moved to the "northern" burbs.....at times I think you come off like it's the ONLY place to live out here though. So forgive Lakewooder for thinking the same of his area. I enjoy watching you guys bicker back and forth though!! lol Sometimes I just come on here to see what you guys are going to say next!!lol It's interesting for me to see what other peoples mindsets and values are. Half the time I'm watching the news as I'm reading and posting and this is so much more interesting!! lol

Old 05-21-2007, 09:59 PM

1,098 posts, read 3,852,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon94 View Post
Exactly!! On both sides though Sockets. I get why you moved to the "northern" burbs.....at times I think you come off like it's the ONLY place to live out here though. So forgive Lakewooder for thinking the same of his area.
Except I've actually seen socketz and some of us other suburban hicks point people at Dallas proper when it's been appropriate. Don't think I've seen the same objective advice from Lakewooder. Guess he wants all 6+ million DFW residents bidding for Lakewood real estate and driving his property values up.

Old 05-21-2007, 10:18 PM

1,560 posts, read 6,457,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriumphOfTheSprint View Post
Except I've actually seen socketz and some of us other suburban hicks point people at Dallas proper when it's been appropriate. Don't think I've seen the same objective advice from Lakewooder. Guess he wants all 6+ million DFW residents bidding for Lakewood real estate and driving his property values up.
[sarcasm]But that would be a conflict of interest. He wouldn't pump up his own area for his own gain, would he? [/sarcasm]

Find me a home under $250K and over 3,000 sq ft in Lakewood and we'll talk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or