U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 03:27 PM

8 posts, read 37,288 times

Advertisements

My family and I are looking to relocate into the Dallas metroplex. We are currently living in Cedar Hill, but became aware of some negative appreciation rates for our area. We definitely want our home to be a good investment, so we figured now is the time to get out. We have one child with one on the way and would like 4 bedrm & around 3800 s/f or more. Ideally we would like a decent to great yard, but we are aware that the farther North we go the less likely we are to see big lushious yards. Our price range is $700,000- 1 million. In what areas could we find these things and get a nice place with the best appreciation possible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2007, 03:36 PM

418 posts, read 1,609,617 times
University Park, Lakewood (try Swiss Avenue or Lakewood Blvd.), Preston Hollow. All of those areas are solid.

Old 05-20-2007, 03:40 PM

1,538 posts, read 6,313,052 times
Highland Park and University Park will definately be in that price range. Lots of beautiful large old homes with mature trees in the area. The homes in that area donlt lose their value because its a highly desired area.

Rockwall is another option, though its a bit of a drive to Dallas. It's a pretty booming place, but it still retains some country charm, and its right on Lake Ray Hubbard. The newer homes in the area tend to have the typical quarter acre to half acre lots, but there are a lot of homes on large lots.

Of course there is the ever popular Plano/Frisco area.

Old 05-20-2007, 03:42 PM

3,035 posts, read 13,020,476 times
In this price range, your options are endless. I think if I was looking to spend that much, I'd probably look for land in an smaller area that is exclusive/desirable, like Parker. Land within reach of the city will always be desirable, even in flat or down markets. My friend lives in Fairview on acerage and people drive by his house and knock on the door asking him if he wants to sell. The Park Cities and areas like Southlake seem to continue to show year over year gains as well.

Old 05-20-2007, 03:47 PM

418 posts, read 1,609,617 times
Keep in mind that in Highland Park or University Park, a large yard isn't always a possibility. Lots of the kids play in the front yards, because they have such a small back yard.

However, the schools are excellent, and it is probably one of the most desired places to live in Dallas (if one can afford it).

I'm biased towards Lakewood, though! And most of the homes there do have large yards.

Old 05-20-2007, 03:50 PM

14,874 posts, read 36,242,086 times
I'd go w/ Parker and Lucas. If you want in a bit closer then look in two small gated communities in the Firewheel area: The Hills of Breckenridge (located at Brand & Campbell) and The Retreat (off of Campbell between N. Garland Ave and Brand).

Old 05-20-2007, 03:53 PM

3,035 posts, read 13,020,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
I'd go w/ Parker and Lucas. If you want in a bit closer then look in two small gated communities in the Firewheel area: The Hills of Breckenridge (located at Brand & Campbell) and The Retreat (off of Campbell between N. Garland Ave and Brand).

The Hills of Breckenridge is really nice. Not sure about upside on that area though ? Is it really that exclusive ? Feels like a nice part of Richardson to me. Parker feels like your out in the middle of nowhere on your own ranch, but in reality, your right on the edge of Plano. That was my original favorite area, until I realized I needed to spend alot more than 300k to live there...In that price range, I wouldn't rule out Willow Bend either.

Starwood/Stonebriar (Frisco)
Kings Ridge (West Plano, Lewisville Schools)
Shoal Creek (West Plano, Plano schools)
Wellington in Stonebridge, or right there on the Lake in Stonebridge next to the european village that's being built
La Cima Manor in Stonebridge

Lots of nice areas out by the airport as well.

Just all depends on where you guys work and want to live.

Old 05-20-2007, 07:41 PM

9,504 posts, read 19,506,212 times
Colleyville in NE Tarrant County will have the type of homes you're looking for. There are many new homes being built there, and the schools are great. I'd bet they will definitely hold their value!

Old 05-20-2007, 07:46 PM

6,585 posts, read 22,381,409 times
I'd stick with University Park although I'm not sure you could get 3800 sq feet. I wouldn't spend that kind of money in Frisco or Lewisville. Bridlewood in Flower Mound might work. West Plano is full of nice houses, some even on bigger lots, surprise, surprise.

Old 05-20-2007, 08:40 PM

709 posts, read 3,117,069 times
Bridlewood is very nice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or